Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Confirm upgrade with Miles + Copay, switch to SWU later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirm upgrade with Miles + Copay, switch to SWU later?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314

I’m waiting on a gifted SWU but C space just opened up on one of the legs of my DCA-SYD flight so I wanted to see what would happen if I went this route.
On the LAX-SYD the upgrade is desirable enough (to me) to do it and not look back - assuming the SWU gift is slow is arriving. It won't stay open long! OTOH, if it is a domestic segment, I'd probably wait. Of course, if it IS a domestic segment, upgrade it for $75 and get the miles back if the SWU comes though and don't fret the $75. (I THINK it is still $75...)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Bumping this thread... Has there anyone had any luck swapping from an SWU back to Mileage + Copay upgrade? Currently waitlisted for HKG-(P class)-LAX-(Y class A321T)-BOS with an SWU. Since the HKG-LAX segment is quite full and LAX-BOS is pretty empty, if LAX-BOS ends up clearing first, can I request AA to change the SWU to a Mileage upgrade? (full Y class, mileage upgrade seems like a better deal)

My other option is of course waitlist the LAX-BOS segment with MIleage+Copay upgrade and the transpacific leg on an SWU, but if I can switch from SWU to Mile+copay I can save 5000 miles...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Still hoping for an answer to the original question:

if a miles/copay is confirmed (miles deducted, copay charged, reticketed and seat assigned) can it be substitute d with an SWU and get the miles back? Don’t care about copays. I was saving my SWUs for a bigger trip and using miles/copays on domestic transcons, but given that I won’t take the big trip without confirmable C space at booking, I’m worried that I won’t use them on a big (optional pleasure) trip.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan

if a miles/copay is confirmed (miles deducted, copay charged, reticketed and seat assigned) can it be substitute d with an SWU and get the miles back? Don’t care about copays. I was saving my SWUs for a bigger trip and using miles/copays on domestic transcons, but given that I won’t take the big trip without confirmable C space at booking, I’m worried that I won’t use them on a big (optional pleasure) trip.
You should definitely be able to get the miles back for free--it would count as an upgrade award redeposit, which you get for free as an EXP. Still unsure about the copays, which I care about, but recognize that you don't.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by dkc192
You should definitely be able to get the miles back for free--it would count as an upgrade award redeposit, which you get for free as an EXP. Still unsure about the copays, which I care about, but recognize that you don't.
And it doesn’t require C availability at time of making the switch?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:17 am

And it doesn’t require C availability at time of making the switch?
Don't believe so. You already have the C space booked in your reservation. All the agent and tariff desk should need to do is swap the certificate that is attached to your reservation from a mileage upgrade to a SWU.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I haven’t done the exchange for a few years but when I did I got the miles back but not the copay.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:08 pm

Don't believe so. You already have the C space booked in your reservation. All the agent and tariff desk should need to do is swap the certificate that is attached to your reservation from a mileage upgrade to a SWU.
Thanks!

This will lower the chance that I have SWU's go unused.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Not the same as the OPs question. Can definitely switchbefore clearing, no copay is charged until cleared.

After clearing is another thing.
if true, that really pisses me off. I called the exp line last year to see if I could switch and they told me no, I’d lose my spot in the queue.

So you’re telling me that their bad information cost me $700? 😡
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by infinite97

if true, that really pisses me off. I called the exp line last year to see if I could switch and they told me no, I’d lose my spot in the queue.

So you’re telling me that their bad information cost me $700? 😡
no one said your place in the queue would stay the same. But since you bring it up, miles and copay have the same ranking as SWU, so you lose your spot when they pull the miles/copay and regain it when you are added back.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Luck and the right person on the phone

I've found in my years with AA, when calling EX Plat desk, its who you get and how you ask. Stupid that it seems to work out best that way, but that's been my experience. Many times I've been frustrated. Also, an earlier poster gave out a contact for a person in customer service. As they addage goes, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. FYI I'm like you, unless I get confirmed UPG space, I will do something else. Where i T.O. are you? I live in WLV
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
As the OP of the thread I think we have a fairly definitive answer (yes, you can switch from Miles+copay to SWU) here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30888065-post564.html
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: CK or bust
I don't think it's the squaky wheel gets the oil (that's for the "influencers"/complainers/blast emails to as many AA contacts as you can find) but rather the right agent with the right knowledge maketh the right keystrokes to get it to happen. No need to be QIK about it.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:30 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Can you "hold" C Inventory w/ co-pay+cash until you get your SWU's?

Looking at a LAX-HKG flight next year.

C inventory is available but I won't hit my EQDs for EXP until December, this no SWU's in my account til then.

Can I use the 25k AA Miles+$350 co-pay to secure the upgrade today and then call back in December for a miles+cash refund and use an SWU?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:40 pm

I and others have discussed this topic intermittently in this thread: Confirm upgrade with Miles + Copay, switch to SWU later?

In sum, you should definitely get your miles back (redeposit of mileage awards, including upgrades, is free for EXP). Technically the copay is non-refundable, and IIRC most reports indicate you won't get that back, but it can't hurt to ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.