Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When does AA deplane from the rear of the plane at LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Question BOS-LGA shuttle: Deplaning from rear exit

If I deplane from the rear exit on the BOS-LGA shuttle, where do I enter the terminal at LGA? Presumably, I enter on the ground floor -- do I then have to go up to the 2nd floor before exiting the terminal via the ground floor, or is it a straight shot to the terminal exit?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Sorry, I haven't deplaned out the back since the shuttle moved from the old US gates. When it was there, you stayed on the bottom floor and were landside rather than airside. As such, you could not make a connection going out the back without going through security again.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

A few times recently, I've landed at LaGuardia (in terminal C, the old US Airways terminal), and passengers have been permitted to deplane from the front and the rear of the plane.

I can't tell when AA deplanes for the rear at LGA; I don't see any consistency in when it is allowed. Just so I'll know to book a coach seat at the very back of the plane if I am not in FC:

(1) Does AA deplane from the rear only with specific types of planes, such as A321s?

(2) Does AA deplane from the rear only at specific gates? (Today was C38, I think.)

(3) Does AA deplane from the rear only at specific times?

Or is there no set rule about when AA deplanes from the rear?

Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
A few times recently, I've landed at LaGuardia (in terminal C, the old US Airways terminal), and passengers have been permitted to deplane from the front and the rear of the plane.

I can't tell when AA deplanes for the rear at LGA; I don't see any consistency in when it is allowed. Just so I'll know to book a coach seat at the very back of the plane if I am not in FC:

(1) Does AA deplane from the rear only with specific types of planes, such as A321s?

(2) Does AA deplane from the rear only at specific gates? (Today was C38, I think.)

(3) Does AA deplane from the rear only at specific times?

Or is there no set rule about when AA deplanes from the rear?

Thanks.
I think it's only for the shuttle routes.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I've never seen it done for anything other than Shuttles.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:43 pm

Thanks. Until recently I had seen that only on Shuttles as well.

Today rear deplaning was used for a non-Shuttle (regular mainline) flight.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P

Ah, well I wouldn't expect it normally then, must have been a one off.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

What was the plane type and route?
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:41 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I have seen flights from CLT deplane from the rear at LGA, most recently an A321. It makes sense to do this from a time-saving perspective; I just wish replanting from the rear was consistent so that I'd know where to sit to get off first.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Was this using steps or with an attached jet bridge at the back as well as the front of the plane?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:10 am

It was done by steps at the rear of the plane. We walked across the tarmac over to a staircase inside the building, leading to somewhere around gate C38. The front of the plane had a jetbridge, I think.

Also, the flight was late (not hugely late, but moderately late), so maybe that had something to do with this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Yep experienced this on my DCA-LGA shuttle flight. However they asked that if we had a connection to exit from the front of the plane and local passengers could depart from the rear. In all honesty it created a bottleneck in the aisle.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I've found that it works well on the early AM and PM Shuttles which is largely business traffic. People know and expect it and those who are in the rear and likely use the front exit in order to make an easy connection wait for the 30 seconds it takes for those using the rear to pass by. Then the traffic can reverse flow and by that time, the front has largely emptied. It doesn't really take more time to deplane when you wait, but you do have to understand the system.

I favor it but understand that it's resource intensive and only works when the resources are available and the weather works.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:09 am

With the shuttle as long as the weather is good they always try to deplane from the back and front The shuttle almost always goes into gate 42, 41 or 39. Clt basically operates like a shuttle and also often deplanes from both doors. Gates 43 and 44 there is no bridgeway so if they have two sets of stairs they deplane from both if the plane is parked where it is safe. Gate 38 37 and 35 I have only ever deplaned from the rear once and it was a clt flight. The shuttles including clt have very tight turns so they for all they can to deplane fast and keep on schedule. I have never deplaned from the rear when arriving at terminal b
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:28 am

Shuttle page
even lists front and rear door as a benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.