Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Attempting to be Heard - (hit on head by AED, removed from flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attempting to be Heard - (hit on head by AED, removed from flight)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Denise Holland Kubat
posting and sending to numerous sites/people
Can you share what other sites you posted on? I looked about and can't seem to find any. I'd like to see what type of responses you're getting outside of FT.

Have you found any on the responses posted here useful?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
Can you share what other sites you posted on? I looked about and can't seem to find any. I'd like to see what type of responses you're getting outside of FT.

Have you found any on the responses posted here useful?
I am also interested in a response from the OP.

But I expect it was a one-post-wonder.

I always get curious how first-time complainers even find FT.

Anyway, if the story is even somewhat accurate, I agree with some of the above posters who state that it was correct to not have her fly and incorrect in the way AA dealt with her so harshly.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:03 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Seemingly minor head injuries can become major ones but not showing up until weeks later. AA once informed of the injury should have taken at report.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think if this kind of thing happens, one must decide between (1) getting the incident documented for potential future legal action, and (2) getting to your destination on time, and those choices are probably often mutually exclusive (although EQDsSUCK's advice to wait until descent perhaps gets you the best of both worlds, at the personal risk of exacerbating the original injury).

I suppose the OP is well-positioned for #1 at this point, and also has stories of humiliation to share in a deposition and maybe in front of a jury.

I honestly don't think she'd be well-served by anything on FT at this point.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think if this kind of thing happens, one must decide between (1) getting the incident documented for potential future legal action, and (2) getting to your destination on time, and those choices are probably often mutually exclusive (although EQDsSUCK's advice to wait until descent perhaps gets you the best of both worlds, at the personal risk of exacerbating the original injury).

I suppose the OP is well-positioned for #1 at this point, and also has stories of humiliation to share in a deposition and maybe in front of a jury.

I honestly don't think she'd be well-served by anything on FT at this point.
I agree and see litigation on the horizon.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
;TLDR
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Imagine a possible scenario:

"Ms. H., I'm Captain Oveur..
Simon: Unger, didn't you serve under Oveur in the Air Force?
Unger: Not directly. Technically, Dunn was under Oveur and I was under Dunn.
Dunn: Yep.
Simon: So, Dunn, you were under Oveur and over Unger.
Unger: Yep.
Clarence Oveur: That's right. Dunn was over Unger and I was over Dunn.
Unger: So, you see, both Dunn and I were under Oveur, even though I was under Dunn.
Clarence Oveur: Dunn was over Unger, and I was over Dunn.

(Airplane II)
JDiver and makfan like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
Seemingly minor head injuries can become major ones but not showing up until weeks later. AA once informed of the injury should have taken at report.
And, they did with an evaluation by medical professionals. Much better than ignoring the head injury and letter her fly before being checked
JDiver and makfan like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Denise Holland Kubat

I wish you found this site due to happier circumstances. I truly do. Your opening post conveys the growing sense of distress any one of us will have felt if we were placed in your shoes during this wretched ordeal. You asked, "Why did it have to happen this way?" so I will direct my thoughts to this question.

AA staff - ground and flight crew are placed under tremendous pressure to get the aircraft readied for an on time departure. This focus can be obsessive so any risk of delay is dealt with as removing an obstacle, and in the process some staff lose sight of their customer facing training. You were treated in a terribly cold and inhuman way and I fully sympathise with you in that you felt humiliated and scared beyond imagination. In an ideal world, all customers should be treated with respect irrespective of the circumstances they find themselves in and part of that requires good and timely communication between staff and the passengers concerned. I suppose communication was replaced by sharp instructions because good two way communication takes time, so I wouldn't take the form of exchange you experienced personally, however difficult that may be.

Most importantly, I hope you've recovered now that a few days have passed. Please do circle back to us and feel free to ask any new questions that come to mind.
JDiver, JonNYC, C17PSGR and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Found the OP's post about this incident on another site in an almost identical format.

Part of today's flying experience on almost any carrier today seems to involve an emphasis on on-time departures. While it's really not what the OP likely wants to hear, almost any passenger injury incident paperwork that could prevent a door close is probably not going to get resolved on the aircraft. Even if the outcome would have remain unchanged as far as the OP missing her flight, it certainly sounds like the incident could have been better handled.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Prospero
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Denise Holland Kubat

I wish you found this site due to happier circumstances. I truly do. Your opening post conveys the growing sense of distress any one of us will have felt if we were placed in your shoes during this wretched ordeal. You asked, "Why did it have to happen this way?" so I will direct my thoughts to this question.

AA staff - ground and flight crew are placed under tremendous pressure to get the aircraft readied for an on time departure. This focus can be obsessive so any risk of delay is dealt with as removing an obstacle, and in the process some staff lose sight of their customer facing training. You were treated in a terribly cold and inhuman way and I fully sympathise with you in that you felt humiliated and scared beyond imagination. In an ideal world, all customers should be treated with respect irrespective of the circumstances they find themselves in and part of that requires good and timely communication between staff and the passengers concerned. I suppose communication was replaced by sharp instructions because good two way communication takes time, so I wouldn't take the form of exchange you experienced personally, however difficult that may be.

Most importantly, I hope you've recovered now that a few days have passed. Please do circle back to us and feel free to ask any new questions that come to mind.
Great response ! They didn't need to delay the flight to take a report. All the F/A had to say is "Do you think you need some medical attention before we depart?" If so, then she needed to be deplaned. If not, all the F/A had to do is apologize and say "As soon as we're airborne I'll be back to take a report on this." If what she says is true, there was absolutely no need for the tall older fellow to have treated her like a criminal.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Found the OP's post about this incident on another site in an almost identical format.
Is it this site? It didn't come up last I looked around.
http://www.corporate-office-headquar...rican-airlines
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Spot on! I can't include links just yet but that's the one. If it was posted in multiple locations around the web just recently, it may take a bit for search engines to index that content.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat
There's three sides to the story. The customers side. The AA employee's side. The truth. It's hard to draw a conclusion based solely on OP's post, however long and detailed it was.

Also, the comment about the orange juice being spilled is laughable. Accidents happen. I could just imagine hearing another passenger asking the crew to write up an incident report because they had something spilled on them and wanted reimbursed for their dry cleaning. HA!
JonNYC and badkneeski like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Yes ... but .... the Captain needs to be focused on making sure the plane is ready and safe to fly.

Here ... an RN with 22 years of ER experience had something fall on her head and has some symptoms that I'm not qualified to assess. Nor is the Captain.

It seems quite possible that someone simply told the GA to get the pax off the plane. It also seems quite possible that the pax was not seeing the customer service aspect of this in the same light that an objective third party might. Hard to say but probably somewhere in the middle.
Exactly why the best reaction is to have their (likely contracted) medical staff assess. The Captain is the aircraft commander, assisted by a fully qualified First Officer (who really is tasked more heavily than the Captain). The Captain had the time to do this (about three minutes, maybe); I've seen the Captain intervene in other passenger situations.

The passenger really did seem to miss the risk and possible liability aspects, but yet insisted on an incident report being filled out on the spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.