Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best American Airlines Credit Card (for Earning AA Miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best American Airlines Credit Card (for Earning AA Miles)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles & Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by MarkOK
https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards...astercard.html

I don't know why that is -- I found too that through aa.com it only points to the citicards (but in-flight, it seems that the aviator cards are often the ones they pass out applications for). I think the link above from Barclays gets you to the application (through apply now).
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Maybe I'm missing something here. Looking at aa.com, the various Citi cards show an APPLY NOW button to take you to an application page. None of the Aviator cards have such a link. In fact, I can access info about them under a heading that reads: Already a cardholder? Learn more about your card’s benefits. It's almost as if you can't apply for the Aviator cards?
To get a AAvantage Aviator Card from Barclaycard, you need
to goto barclaycard’s website. From there search for the Aviator
Card. You can only apply for the Aviator Red Card and upgrade
silver or downgrade to the lower types.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thank you, Mark and Ehsun.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by diver858
With recent Aadvantage devaluations, you are better off going with a Private label bank card (Citi Premier / Prestige, one of the Chase Sapphire offerings), use their points as cash to buy tickets on their system, typically at a ~25% discount.

Citi Executive card makes sense for Admiral's Club access, but not for earning worthless miles.
I think the best option for a coach flyer is to get a double cash back card from Citi (2% rebate) and buy the tickets for cash. With the Citi TYPs being worth 1.25 cents, even if the tickets were 25% less than aa.com (which is news to me), that doesn't make it worth as much as a flat 2 oercent rebate.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
I think the best option for a coach flyer is to get a double cash back card from Citi (2% rebate) and buy the tickets for cash. With the Citi TYPs being worth 1.25 cents, even if the tickets were 25% less than aa.com (which is news to me), that doesn't make it worth as much as a flat 2 oercent rebate.
I think you are forgetting that cards such as Citi TYP and Chase UR earn 3x points on travel spend, so you really need to compare 3 * 1.25 for TYP and 3 * 1.5 for UR against the 2% cash rebate or the miles earned on AA cards.

Non-travel spend is a different matter, of course.

By the way, Citi just recently bumped their AA Plat offer to 60k.
diver858 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Maybe I'm missing something here. Looking at aa.com, the various Citi cards show an APPLY NOW button to take you to an application page. None of the Aviator cards have such a link. In fact, I can access info about them under a heading that reads: Already a cardholder? Learn more about your card’s benefits. It's almost as if you can't apply for the Aviator cards?
IIRC that was part of the deal after the US Air acquisition. When AA opted to let Barclay migrate their US Air CC to AAdvantage, to appease AA's existing relationship with Citi, AA limits their promotion of the Barclay card to in-flight pitches by the FA's
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's extremely likely that whether it disappears or not as a card, the ability to earn the equivalent of 1 AA mile through it will disappear. That's a function of the Starwood program, not of the card itself. And that feature of the Starwood program is not likely to survive the merger, because Marriott doesn't have anything remotely like that, and it's not likely that the merged program would become just like Starwood and nothing at all like Marriott, given that Marriott's by far the bigger program (and bigger company).
Huh? Marriott has all kinds of airline transfer partners, including AA. Now, the transfer ratios aren't quite as good (or the same) unless you are using UA (if which case they are generally much better), but it can be done.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
IIRC that was part of the deal after the US Air acquisition. When AA opted to let Barclay migrate their US Air CC to AAdvantage, to appease AA's existing relationship with Citi, AA limits their promotion of the Barclay card to in-flight pitches by the FA's
A bit more than that:

They also can (and do) put ads in the AA in-flight magazines.

Per the agreement, they're also allowed to promote in-airport (n AA areas), but I'm not sure how often that happens (I presume it' might be just "pop-up" tables here and there, rather than any constant airport promotion).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I think you are forgetting that cards such as Citi TYP and Chase UR earn 3x points on travel spend, so you really need to compare 3 * 1.25 for TYP and 3 * 1.5 for UR against the 2% cash rebate or the miles earned on AA cards.

Non-travel spend is a different matter, of course.

By the way, Citi just recently bumped their AA Plat offer to 60k.
In addition, Citi Premier and Prestige offer some of the best travel insurance when airline tickets are purchased with the card, TYP "redeemed" for air travel.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I have had the executive card for a few years now and love it. I've used the trip delay coverage a few times and has been a life saver.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by enviroian
I have had the executive card for a few years now and love it. I've used the trip delay coverage a few times and has been a life saver.
Citi Prestige enjoys the same delay/cancellation policy as well. Prior to July this year, it also had AC access. I think the Exe card started to become useful/not useless after this July.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles & Marriott Bonvoy
Does Marriott transfer to AA? And if so , at what rate? Is this a good rate?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by EhsunYazdani
Does Marriott transfer to AA? And if so , at what rate? Is this a good rate?
Sort of. You could transfer between MAR and SPG at a 3:1 ratio, and then SPG to AA at 1:1. There is a 5k AA miles bonus for each 20k SPG points (so 20k SPG to 25k AA miles). Also current promotional bonus is 30% (until Oct 15).

Even with bonus and promotion, I still don't think it's a good deal to transfer MAR/SPG points to AA, which is generally way easier to obtain than SPG points.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Oct 9, 2017 at 11:58 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you do international travel in coach, then the new preferred international boarding benefit of the Citi card may be valuable to you. See https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/cit...international/ for details on this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by stheller
If you do international travel in coach, then the new preferred international boarding benefit of the Citi card may be valuable to you. See https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/cit...international/ for details on this.
Priority boarding, IMO, is less useful for LH. Bigger items are usually checked (free for at least the first bag), so overhead bins are way less packed than domestic flights'.

At the same time I feel really bad for Gold/Ruby...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Sort of. You could transfer between MAR and SPG at a 3:1 ratio, and then SPG to AA at 1:1. There is a 5k AA miles bonus for each 20k SPG points (so 20k SPG to 25k AA miles). Also current promotional bonus is 30% (until Oct 15).

Even with bonus and promotion, I still don't think it's a good deal to transfer MAR/SPG points to AA, which is generally way easier to obtain than SPG points.
The answer is yes. http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi
That said, you are better off transferring to SPG and then AA as said above. I also wouldn't transfer MR/SPG points to AA in most cases, but YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.