Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I book this long layover without getting screwed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I book this long layover without getting screwed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Question Can I book this long layover without getting screwed?

Hi all. Newbie here, haven't flown AA for quite some time.

In a nutshell, I'm coming home (BOS) from a trip to Turks and Caicos (PLS) in April. I've booked one-way going down to the Caribbean, but the outbound flights are outrageously pricey (spring break, uuugh, wasn't my idea...). I have booked a fully-refundable (class Y) direct flight BOS-PLS, but it's $900/person (there are 3 of us) and it's killing me! I was thinking of booking a flight the day after we got home to go to Philly to see relatives we haven't seen in forever. However, I found this flight combo here, which is actually $300 less per person, which is kind of blowing my mind.

PLS-BOS 1:20PM-4:58pm (same flight i'm booked on now)
then overnight layover in Boston (perfect, so I can drop my vacation bags and refresh)
BOS-PHL 8:30AM-10AM

What's the catch here? I NEED that overnight in Boston (with my bags) to get myself together before going back out to PHL. Actually, if it the layover got shortened I'd be ok too, as long as I'd have access to my bag (it's a quick trip home). What are the chances that AA screws me over and says heck, let's just re-route you straight to PHL! Or am I overthinking this and just cancel the original and go for it (or maybe AA would be so kind as to just switch it and refund me the difference?). Never been in this scenario before

Thanks much!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If this is one ticket, PLS-BOS-PHL, if there are problems with your PLS-BOS flight, AA can reroute you to your final destination. AA responsibility is to get you to PHL. This, may affect your overnight situation at BOS.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There's no catch. International fares generally allow you to have up to 24 hrs to connect at any point along the itinerary. In this case the PLS-PHL fare is cheaper than PLS-BOS...it just so happens that they allow connections in BOS.

If you need to go to PHL the day after then by all means book it and don't look back. In fact, for a party of 3 to save $900, I'd be tempted to book all 3 the same way, then have the other 2 get sick in BOS and not feel up to flying to PHL .
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Yup, it's one ticket. Really makes a huge difference price-wise. I can't really imagine any issues this far out (it's April, not winter snow-pocalypse), but I suppose anything could happen. Not sure if it's worth the gamble
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by slg919
Yup, it's one ticket. Really makes a huge difference price-wise. I can't really imagine any issues this far out (it's April, not winter snow-pocalypse), but I suppose anything could happen. Not sure if it's worth the gamble
What do you mean with this, worth the gamble? I see no problem.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
What do you mean with this, worth the gamble? I see no problem.
If I don't end up in Boston at all, is that what you were saying?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There's no catch. International fares generally allow you to have up to 24 hrs to connect at any point along the itinerary. In this case the PLS-PHL fare is cheaper than PLS-BOS...it just so happens that they allow connections in BOS.

If you need to go to PHL the day after then by all means book it and don't look back. In fact, for a party of 3 to save $900, I'd be tempted to book all 3 the same way, then have the other 2 get sick in BOS and not feel up to flying to PHL .

I mean, if I were to NOT go onwards to PHL, is that a problem?? Not saying that would be the case (and AA would probably hate me, but I am not their bestest customer), buuuut, when you're traveling with a toddler, who knows what can happen...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:20 pm

If I don't end up in Boston at all, is that what you were saying?
I mean, if I were to NOT go onwards to PHL, is that a problem?? Not saying that would be the case (and AA would probably hate me, but I am not their bestest customer), buuuut, when you're traveling with a toddler, who knows what can happen...
Search for hidden city ticketing, or skipping a leg. If you skip a leg on a segment, all other segments are automatically canceled, granted, not much of a problem if you skip the last one. AA responsibility is to get you to your destination, which is PHL, in case of problems they will re-route you via any route, not necessarily BOS. Seems to me your intention is to stay in BOS from the get go. Its a gamble you need to determine.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If AA happens to start a PLS-PHL non-stop and rebook you on it just argue that the schedule change doesn't work -- that gets you a refund by DOT guidance letter to carriers.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If your purpose is actually to do a hidden city ticket, AA's not likely to hoist you on it unless you do this repeatedly, from the information in this forum we have from other posters. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html.

As others have mentioned, AA has options: schedule changes, IROPS, they could fly you directly to PHL or have you connect, say via MIA. You have options, too: if the schedule changes significantly (2 hours or more, generally) you can cancel and make alternate arrangements - which might be more expensive. In essence, you're gambling to save some money, it would seem, and there are no guarantees.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
While it's technically correct, all of this "AA's only obligation is to get you to PHL" talk is overly alarmist and not how things work in practice.

I've had irrops occur in similar situations multiple times, and not once has AA refused to rebook me via a desired connecting point, if that's what I needed and originally booked. All you need to do is speak up and know your options.

For example...RDU-DFW-ORD-PVG with an overnight in DFW. RDU-DFW cancelled, AA happily rebooked me RDU-CLT-DFW that evening. They didn't "force" me to take the quickest route to PVG, or anything like that.

If the OP really needs to fly PLS-BOS-PHL, it would be downright ridiculous to spend $300 more to book it as separate tickets based on the worry that AA wouldn't get them to BOS for whatever the reason in the event of irrops.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
a trip to Turks and Caicos (PLS) in April....
I have booked a fully-refundable (class Y) direct flight BOS-PLS...
However, I found this flight combo here, which is actually $300 less per person,
I agree with everything said above, but since Turks and Caicos is being hit by Irma today, if the new ticket is not refundable, you might want to wait a bit before committing to those islands as your vacation destination...
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
While it's technically correct, all of this "AA's only obligation is to get you to PHL" talk is overly alarmist and not how things work in practice.

I've had irrops occur in similar situations multiple times, and not once has AA refused to rebook me via a desired connecting point, if that's what I needed and originally booked. All you need to do is speak up and know your options.

For example...RDU-DFW-ORD-PVG with an overnight in DFW. RDU-DFW cancelled, AA happily rebooked me RDU-CLT-DFW that evening. They didn't "force" me to take the quickest route to PVG, or anything like that.

If the OP really needs to fly PLS-BOS-PHL, it would be downright ridiculous to spend $300 more to book it as separate tickets based on the worry that AA wouldn't get them to BOS for whatever the reason in the event of irrops.

Thank you, this is reassuring. I really just need a few hours to dump my bag at home in Boston, so if the layover is shortened by a bit, no big deal. As long as I get my bag in Boston (I'm assuming that since I have to do customs in Boston, I will definitely see my bag at that point). I'm not planning to "skip" PHL, but booking it on one ticket, as opposed to two individual legs is SOO much cheaper! Now I just need to make sure that Turks and Caicos is okay after being hammered last night Will probably hold off on booking until things look a little better.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:35 am

Thank you, this is reassuring. I really just need a few hours to dump my bag at home in Boston, so if the layover is shortened by a bit, no big deal. As long as I get my bag in Boston (I'm assuming that since I have to do customs in Boston, I will definitely see my bag at that point). I'm not planning to "skip" PHL, but booking it on one ticket, as opposed to two individual legs is SOO much cheaper! Now I just need to make sure that Turks and Caicos is okay after being hammered last night Will probably hold off on booking until things look a little better.
I do not think you will do customs in BOS, as AA does not offer direct service BOS-PLS, it is mostly through MIA or CLT, that is where you will clear customs, collect your bag and recheck again to your BOS trip. What is the actual routing? PLS-???-BOS-PHL.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:05 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by SfoDtwFlr
I agree with everything said above, but since Turks and Caicos is being hit by Irma today, if the new ticket is not refundable, you might want to wait a bit before committing to those islands as your vacation destination...
Yep. You may not have lodging in T&C in April based on reports from other islands. Keep these folks in your thoughts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.