Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do I have any other recourse? (kind of long story) (upgrade charge problems)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I have any other recourse? (kind of long story) (upgrade charge problems)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by alfagirl
Well, large is relative. If your Am Ex bill is regularly over $50k a month, $3,900 could be a pair of shoes.
If your Amex bill is regularly over $50k a month and you buy $3900 shoes, it's probably not worth wasting time in small claims court over this particular pack of airline "peanuts."
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Also, not trying to be smug here, but moral of the story is to buy J well in advance then upgrade with miles into F on the three class transcons
or just F from the start. Would be a lot cheaper than upgrading last minute and save the aggravation.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:22 pm

The issue isn't whether you flew in J or not, but rather whether you authorized the charge to your Amex account. AA needs to provide proof you authorized the charge (over and above what you already paid for the Y fare). If they cannot, you should win the dispute. Keep pushing on Amex at this point.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Scheduled flights: outbound: 4/22/17 LAX-JFK; return: 4/29 17 JFK-LAX, PNR ABCDE, 2 PAX on PNR.
On April 21, 2017, I called the American Airlines Platinum Pro line to upgrade one of the passengers (my sister) to First Class (from MCE). In order to do that, the agent had to split the record. When the agent split the record, she informed me that there was one seat in Business and that my complimentary upgrade had cleared. The airfare difference of ~$3,800 to upgrade her to first class was charged to her American Express account and is not in dispute. I gave the Am Ex card number once.
On April 26, while we were in New York, my sister checked her Am Ex accounts and saw there was also a charge of ~$2,700 for the upgrade for my ticket. We immediately called the American Airlines Platinum Pro line and explained the situation, we was on the phone with the agent for over 35 minutes, as she tried to get the money refunded. The agent said she had talked to her supervisors and that there was nothing that they could do at that point. She said that she would note all of this in my record and to just dispute the charge with Am Ex, then American Airlines would see the note re: this incident and refund the charge to my Am Ex.
Our many attempts to get the ~$2,900 refunded was in vain, as American Airlines response is simply, “that I traveled”, so nothing can be done. I am not disputing the fact that I was on the flight, just the unauthorized CC charge.
Do we have any other recourse?
I don't understand why this is even a question. Dispute the charge with Amex, say it was unauthorized, you authorized a $3800 charge to upgrade one passenger, and AA told you on the phone that you would receive a complimentary upgrade due to your status.

I suspect that the AA ticket agents do not have the power to issue the refund, but their billing department certainly will. There is absolutely no way AA can prove you/your sister authorized the charge, so the CC dispute will work.

Amex will take care of you.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jpdx
If your Amex bill is regularly over $50k a month and you buy $3900 shoes, it's probably not worth wasting time in small claims court over this particular pack of airline "peanuts."
well, you clearly miss the point. Why pay for anything you never asked for?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by janetdoe
I don't understand why this is even a question. Dispute the charge with Amex, say it was unauthorized, you authorized a $3800 charge to upgrade one passenger, and AA told you on the phone that you would receive a complimentary upgrade due to your status.

I suspect that the AA ticket agents do not have the power to issue the refund, but their billing department certainly will. There is absolutely no way AA can prove you/your sister authorized the charge, so the CC dispute will work.

Amex will take care of you.
Am Ex is NOT taking care of this, hence this post.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:11 pm

Don't assume it's so easy to get the credit card to decide in your favor. I just went round and round with Hyatt and Chase Sapphire Reserve about a credit they promised but messed up. It took months and Chase wouldn't budge without Hyatt's approval.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
For small claims court, your local county probably has a website showing how to do it, and I assume that you could sue AA by listing AA at its local airport address, and having process served there.
When would you serve the "agent for service of process" versus going to an airport to serve? For instance, the California Secretary of State lists this information for AA (and I would guess other states maintain a similar database):

C0191785 AMERICAN AIRLINES, INC.
Registration Date: 12/31/1942
Jurisdiction: DELAWARE
Entity Type: FOREIGN STOCK
Agent for Service of Process: C T CORPORATION SYSTEM
818 W 7TH ST STE 930
LOS ANGELES CA 90017
Entity Address: 4333 AMON CARTER BLVD., MD5675
FORT WORTH TX 76155
Entity Mailing Address: 4333 AMON CARTER BLVD., MD5675
FORT WORTH TX 76155
Is there some benefit in serving legal papers here versus your closest AA airport?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:19 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Scheduled flights: outbound: 4/22/17 LAX-JFK; return: 4/29 17 JFK-LAX, PNR ABCDE, 2 PAX on PNR.
On April 21, 2017, I called the American Airlines Platinum Pro line to upgrade one of the passengers (my sister) to First Class (from MCE). In order to do that, the agent had to split the record. When the agent split the record, she informed me that there was one seat in Business and that my complimentary upgrade had cleared.
There is definitely a misunderstanding between what the customer understood would happen and what the airline understood.

Customer believed Business Class upgrade was complimentary for a Platinum Pro.

Airline believes Business Class upgrade was a paid upfare.

Is the customer's understanding correct? I'm leaning towards "no". Here's why: AAgent reported one seat remaining in Biz. It's reasonable for that one seat to be held until the last minute. Let's get real. How many times have you cleared, six hours in advance, into a J1 inventory situation? I can't think of a single occasion. Airlines hold that last seat (sometimes the last 3 to 6 seats) for possible last-minute sale at big bux. If (and only if) the last seat isn't sold before the 30-minute mark, they assign it to the highest entry on the airport waitlist.

In my imagination, the exact words the AAgent used were: "There is one seat left in Business. You have a complimentary upgrade.".

What was implied but NOT spoken: "But you'll never clear because the waitlist is a mile long.".

Continuing the conversation: "Shall I put you into that one remaining Business Class seat?".

What was implied, not spoken, yet performed: "At the super-special last-minute high-roller price?"

Misunderstandings are unfortunate, especially when they're expensive.

Do we have any other recourse?
Perhaps write to AA Customer Relations. Explain how it was definitely a miscommunication. The price was never disclosed. The AAgent mentioned the complimentary upgrade for which you had waitlisted. The AAgent did NOT make it clear that the upgrade was at additional cost. By mentioning the complimentary upgrade, and by NOT mentioning the additional cost, AAgent implied (and customer understood) that the complimentary upgrade had cleared. End the message by suggesting that the only correct remedy is to refund the $2700 surprise charge for the upfare to Biz.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you've gone back and forth more than once with Amex?
And they still refuse to budge?
And that as soon as this is resolved (either way), you will end your relationship with them?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
That's very surprising. The only good thing I can say about Amex is that they do sort this kind of thing out well. What are they saying? I must have missed that part.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jpdx
Disagree big time. My Amex bill is much more than $50k at times but I would certainly take this all the way. I am shocked though if Amex doesn't help here, I've had nothing but excellent service from them (and I've been in the other end as a merchant also where Amex blindly believes a lying customer)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:25 am

Is there no voice recording for the phone call to settle this dispute once and for all?
janetdoe and Geordie405 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Because you can.
OPs sister' credit card was intended only to pay for the OP's sister's upgraded ticket to F.
Of course as I think perhaps you're really pointing out - why/how did AA use that CC for the apparent upgrade on the OPs ticket? And I guess the answer is that AA doesn't require the cardholder name to match the passenger name. If they did it would be a big inconvenience. People *do* legitimately buy tickets for others.
The implication here is as long as u have the PNR for someone's ticket u can call in and make all sorts of changes with the resulting charges hitting that persons credit card. Doesn't seem right.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
The implication here is as long as u have the PNR for someone's ticket u can call in and make all sorts of changes with the resulting charges hitting that persons credit card. Doesn't seem right.
There's a definite general lack of security when it comes to accessing and changing reservations, but that's probably a broader issue and I don't think specific to AA, or even this case.

But I don't know if they will just use the card on file (i.e., used to pay for the original ticket) to also pay for changes. I'm think you usually have to give a new credit card, no? Maybe there's a dollar threshold? I do seem to recall when changing award tickets any change in taxes would just flow through to the card (either as a charge or refund, depending) but the amounts were usually pocket change. But when you call in for a mileage upgrade you have to give a new CC for the co-pay. And the OP in this case gave her sister's CC to up-fare her sister's ticket, whereas I understand the original tickets were purchased jointly on the OP's own CC.

Regardless, you can't call in and make changes that would benefit yourself on someone else's credit card, unless, of course, you have the credit card number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.