Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

CPAP, POC oxygen concentrator portable medical devices on AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and policy regarding CPAP, POC *
*(continuous positive airway pressure machines, portable oxygen concentrators)

Mobility and medical deviceslink to aa.com page

Traveling with mobility and medical devices

If you’re traveling with any medical device, a wheelchair or other mobility device we’re here to help – we offer pre-boarding, deplaning and airport assistance.

For battery operated mobility devices, contact Special Assistance to make sure the battery type is approved for travel and for any other special assistance travel requests.

Contact Special Assistance (link)

If you’re connecting to another airline or traveling on a codeshare flight, contact the operating carrier or other airline for their rules on traveling with mobility and medical devices.

Carry-on devices

Mobility and medical devices don’t count toward carry-on limits. If space is limited, the device doesn’t fit in the cabin or if it isn’t required during the flight, it may need to be checked. These include:

Canes, walkers, continuous positive airway pressure machines (CPAP) and other assistive devices that can be collapsed to fit into overhead and under-seat storage

Items used for comfort such as seat cushions, arm or footrests...

...Oxygen (Portable Oxygen Concentrators)

Requirements for traveling with a portable oxygen concentrator

Before you board, check in at the gate so an agent can:
  • Test that you can operate the POC and respond to its alarm
  • Explain the phases of the flight when the POC will be operable
  • Check your supply of fully charged batteries to power the POC no less than 150% for the duration of the flight and ground connection time (including unanticipated delays)

*see aa.com page linked to above for POC requirements and prohibitions

Onboard power for medical devices

We recommend you bring any necessary, fully-charged batteries to power your medical devices throughout your flight. Don’t depend on the availability of a power outlet to support your device.

If available, power outlets may be used for medical devices
The use of onboard power might require a DC power adaptor.

Onboard power (link)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm sure most here know this, but if you intend to bring on a device, please contact AA in your reservation and have it approved before you bring it on board and use it. These devices must be pre approved, and the policy will be explained to you ahead of time. CPAP machines are never to be plugged in to the power ports, only used in battery mode once approved.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 11, 2020 at 10:47 am Reason: Strike out wording no longer current
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:03 pm

Yep...this is the third different CPAP policy in effect since the merger. There is clearly someone at AA HQ with way too much time on his/her hands.

Next thing you know they will start requiring a doctor's note...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Why are there any issues with battery powered devices at all?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:39 pm

Can you provide a link to this change in policy?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
Why are there any issues with battery powered devices at all?
Lithium ion batteries may contain too much energy.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org..._batteries.pdf
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skylady
I'm sure most here know this, but if you intend to bring on a device, please contact AA. . .
It may be worth noting for clarification that bringing the device onboard is no issue -- UNLESS you plan to use it onboard.

Just carrying it onto a flight to use at your destination requires no advance communication with the airline.

I note this just because of personal experience with my confused parents over this very question.
zpaul and JDiver like this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by KansasMike
Can you provide a link to this change in policy?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...al-devices.jsp
KansasMike and zpaul like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:47 pm

I'm sure most here know this, but if you intend to bring on a device, please contact AA in your reservation and have it approved before you bring it on board and use it. These devices must be pre approved, and the policy will be explained to you ahead of time. CPAP machines are never to be plugged in to the power ports, only used in battery mode once approved.
Has anyone had more recent experience with CPAP use in flight (specifically in J international where there’s space and power).

I see some on this thread from two years ago saying “must be battery powered”, but then AA’s website (linked elsewhere in this thread) says:
  • If available, power outlets may be used for medical devices
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin

Has anyone had more recent experience with CPAP use in flight (specifically in J international where there’s space and power).

I see some on this thread from two years ago saying “must be battery powered”, but then AA’s website (linked elsewhere in this thread) says:
  • If available, power outlets may be used for medical devices
Exactly that, because not infrequently, the power isn’t available. Many posts have been made regarding power outlets that didn’t work on x flight. If you need a CPAP or other powered device, you had better supply sufficient power in the form of batteries, etc. to last the duration of your scheduled trip and some reserve in case of delays. Like with POCs.

Check your supply of fully charged batteries to power the POC no less than 150% for the duration of the flight and ground connection time (including unanticipated delays)
Also be aware of the power draw limitations on AA aircraft. Most outlets are fairly low wattage, and if you draw too much current you’ll likely cause a reset.

For battery operated mobility devices, contact Special Assistance to make sure the battery type is approved for travel and for any other special assistance travel requests.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Interestingly enough, now the linked site makes no mention of prior approval for CPAP use on flight. (It is not a mobility device).
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver

Also be aware of the power draw limitations on AA aircraft. Most outlets are fairly low wattage, and if you draw too much current you’ll likely cause a reset.
This might be the biggest reason.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:08 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
There's a whole series of threads about this under the Disability Travel forum here.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 11, 2020 at 10:49 am Reason: Edit quoted post to update
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are sufficient disclaimers on the AA website to make quite clear that there is, on the one hand, no prohibition of the use of onboard power for CPAP, but on the other, no guarantee that it will be working, be of sufficient wattage to power your machine or that it will be available in working order at your assigned seat.

If you require onboard CPAP, the only way you may be assured that it will be available is to provide a battery source (which is itself compliant with AA's requirements).
DiamondMile and JDiver like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
There are sufficient disclaimers on the AA website to make quite clear that there is, on the one hand, no prohibition of the use of onboard power for CPAP, but on the other, no guarantee that it will be working, be of sufficient wattage to power your machine or that it will be available in working order at your assigned seat.

If you require onboard CPAP, the only way you may be assured that it will be available is to provide a battery source (which is itself compliant with AA's requirements).
It's the prior authorization that I was inquiring about. I've stopped asking for permission a few years ago, but always use it on TATL flights (with the appropriate battery pack with me, but since I only go TATL in J, I've plugged it in a couple of times without issue).
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AA100k
This might be the biggest reason.
this and also that sometimes they are INOP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.