Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dropping last segment of award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Dropping last segment of award ticket

I have an award ticket booked on Cathay first class next March. I am scheduled to arrive in HKG on 3/7 (from JFK) and then continue on to Phuket on 3/8 in business class. I no longer want to continue onto Phuket. Are there any consequences associated with dropping the last segment (i.e., just not showing)? I have a return ticket booked as a separate award and want to make sure AA does not cancel that.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by thatdarnpunk
I have an award ticket booked on Cathay first class next March. I am scheduled to arrive in HKG on 3/7 (from JFK) and then continue on to Phuket on 3/8 in business class. I no longer want to continue onto Phuket. Are there any consequences associated with dropping the last segment (i.e., just not showing)? I have a return ticket booked as a separate award and want to make sure AA does not cancel that.
If you know for sure that you do not want to fly the HKG-HKT segment, just call AA now, and ask them to lop that segment off of the award. There's no charge for such a change in this case (although some agents don't know that); in fact, you might even be entitled to a small refund if there are fees/taxes associated with the HKG-HKT segment.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EP
Is ur return on the same PNR as the outbound? If yes, u are taking a huge risk of not formally cancelling and re-ticketing. If not on the same PNR, no problem dropping.

Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
As guv1976 mentioned, since HKG and Thailand are in same award region - you can drop the last segment for free. I've had some agents who wanted to re-price the award at new rates (I had pre 3/23 deval awards) but I was able to reason with them that it does not require cancel and rebook. You may get some taxes back and your bags would be checked to HKG
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Acid
As guv1976 mentioned, since HKG and Thailand are in same award region - you can drop the last segment for free. I've had some agents who wanted to re-price the award at new rates (I had pre 3/23 deval awards) but I was able to reason with them that it does not require cancel and rebook. You may get some taxes back and your bags would be checked to HKG
Thanks for the reply. I just tried calling them and they said it would be $150 to change since technically my final destination has changed from Phuket to Hong Kong...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just tried calling them and they said it would be $150 to change since technically my final destination has changed from Phuket to Hong Kong...
HUCA. Since you're staying in the same region (Asia 2) they are allowed to drop the last segment without the change fee. Keep trying until you get an agent that knows that. I believe if you search on Flyertalk you'll find the internal memo that went out to AAgents stating this. You can then quote the memo if needed.
JonNYC and AA100k like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
HUCA. Since you're staying in the same region (Asia 2) they are allowed to drop the last segment without the change fee. Keep trying until you get an agent that knows that. I believe if you search on Flyertalk you'll find the internal memo that went out to AAgents stating this. You can then quote the memo if needed.
+1. And do not hesitate to ask for a supervisor if the line agent tries to charge a fee.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
You have to remind them of the rule that both destinations are in same regions. Don't assume agents know their geography.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr

Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Acid
You have to remind them of the rule that both destinations are in same regions. Don't assume agents know their geography.
Yep, exactly
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:11 pm

Just tried this a couple of all times and all agents insist the award must be repriced.

DUS-LHR-AUS

I am trying to drop DUS-LHR and I keep being it doesn’t qualify because this is a Saver Award. The memo states this is only valid for Flex awards.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by coltonatx
Just tried this a couple of all times and all agents insist the award must be repriced.

DUS-LHR-AUS

I am trying to drop DUS-LHR and I keep being it doesn’t qualify because this is a Saver Award. The memo states this is only valid for Flex awards.

Thoughts?
They are giving you the right answer but for the wrong reason. You are changing the country of origin so the "free drop" does not apply here.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
They are giving you the right answer but for the wrong reason. You are changing the country of origin so the "free drop" does not apply here.
wait, everyone above said you can drop it as long as it’s the same region. DUS and LHR are in Europe.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott

wait, everyone above said you can drop it as long as it’s the same region. DUS and LHR are in Europe.
Please read JonNYC's picture above. The last bullet point is about change of country of origin.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

DUS-LHR-AUS

Thoughts?
Unless Germany and the United Kingdom merge into a single country (), nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.