Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
BSE, in your case enjoy flying AA out of DEN as long as you can. Flying AA out of a United and Frontier hub offers you a lot of upgrades not afforded to PAX based out of AA hubs.
People say this all the time but it makes little sense - I clear as many (more...actually) upgrades on flights that originate at the AA hubs I connect through (DFW, ORD, LAX and CLT primarily) than I do on flights that originate out of my base at DEN. SWUs always involve a hub at one end of the flight or the other. Let's take my domestic trip this week - out of the 4 total segments in the trip, I cleared two upgrades originating out of an AA hub: DFW-DCA and ORD-DEN. EQD, aircraft type, time and day make far more difference in upgrade clearance rates than does origin city (I'll allow that hub-to-hub flights might be a different story) Also - domestic upgrades aren't really I thing I care about in terms of how I judge an FFP.

There's an tendency on here to just complain regardless of whether the compliant is actually logical. Distracts from the many real issues with AA that there are to complain about.

Last edited by bse118; Jun 27, 2019 at 8:15 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bse118
People say this all the time but it makes little sense - I clear as many upgrades on flights that originate at the AA hubs I connect through (DFW, ORD, LAX and CLT primarily) than I do on flights that originate out of my base at DEN. SWUs always involve a hub at one end of the flight or the other. Let's take my domestic trip this week - out of the 4 total segments in the trip, I cleared two upgrades originating out of an AA hub: DFW-DCA and ORD-DEN. EQD, aircraft type, time and day make far more difference in upgrade clearance rates than does origin city (I'll allow that hub-to-hub flights might be a different story) Also - domestic upgrades aren't really I thing I care about in terms of how I judge an FFP.

There's an tendency on here to just complain regardless of whether the compliant is actually logical. Distracts from the many real issues with AA that there are to complain about.
I am in DCA right now, will be flying out tomorrow. I cleared an upgrade SLC to DFW, did not clear DFW to DCA. I will not clear DCA to DFW tomorrow, and I will clear DFW to SLC. I fly at peak business traveler times, and I average eight flights per week. Glad you have great success at upgrades to places like DCA, I do not..... My domestic spend with AA this year will be in the low 20k range. I am not a big player by any means- I do fly a lot for business.

I don't hate on AA. I stay with AA because of the EXP desk. When one flies eight times per week, stuff happens, and I have found the EXP desk to be awesome in helping me get to my destination. On my main cabin flight from DFW to DCA yesterday, I had awesome service, better than first class in some ways. AA sent me a survey and I shared how awesome the main cabin service was.

Am I beyond unhappy with Chairman Parker reducing pitch to Spirit and Frontier like pitches. Absolutely..... I average eight flights a week, I don't need to be in first class by any means..... but to be in a oasis main cabin on a three hour flight is simply painful for a loyal frequent business flyer.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
I am in DCA right now, will be flying out tomorrow. I cleared an upgrade SLC to DFW, did not clear DFW to DCA. I will not clear DCA to DFW tomorrow, and I will clear DFW to SLC. I fly at peak business traveler times, and I average eight flights per week. Glad you have great success at upgrades to places like DCA, I do not..... My domestic spend with AA this year will be in the low 20k range. I am not a big player by any means- I do fly a lot for business.
You are both moving the goalposts and proving my point. Your original contention was that being based in DEN meant better upgrades rates than being based in a hub. That is a frequent claim - but it is also one that doesn't stand up to reason.

A typical trip for me will involve: DEN-HUB-XXX-HUB-DEN. So each trip involves 1 segment originating DEN, 2 segments originating at a HUB, and 1 segment originating at a different outstation. I'm regularly clearing upgrades originating at a hub - there's no evidence in my personal experience that I am any more likely to clear the upgrade on the DEN originating segments than I am on the HUB originating segments.

Ask me about aircraft. Ask me about time of day. Ask me about EQD level. Those all matter.

<and that's enough from me about upgrades in a thread that is ostensibly about JFK service levels>
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
As today's new route announcements slow, NYC continues to be neglected by AA. Is there a scenario where they would add any new international routes from New York?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:57 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Adelphos
As today's new route announcements slow, NYC continues to be neglected by AA. Is there a scenario where they would add any new international routes from New York?
I hope not
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
A scenario? Sure. A government subsidy. Likely? No.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:24 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

If you are flying thru JFK in Nov/Dec check your reservations. A lot of cuts loaded across the board including ORD, DFW, LAX, BOS, LAS, PIT, RDU, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by golfingboy
If you are flying thru JFK in Nov/Dec check your reservations. A lot of cuts loaded across the board including ORD, DFW, LAX, BOS, LAS, PIT, RDU, etc.
Wonderful....just as I started using JFK over LGA because of the construction and traffic issues at LGA.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Most definitely, there will be new ones, and before the the XLRs arrive.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:33 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Most definitely, there will be new ones, and before the the XLRs arrive.
Looking forward to when AA reveals the cards up their sleeves for NYC. Although with me recently moving to Baltimore and being sandwiched between two AA hubs it’s nice having a NYC option in addition to PHL/CLT on the east coast. The ground experience is vastly superior at JFK IMHO and it’s a bit disappointing that AA is really dragging their feet in bringing the necessary premium upgrades at PHL.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:07 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
We had booked JFK-ORD this coming April 2020 (flights booked Sep 2019). Found out earlier this week that all AA JFK-ORD flights are cancelled on our travel date. Rebooked LGA-ORD, as didn’t want the hassle of a connecting flight JFK-CMH-ORD.
Shame, as we were looking forward to trying out the AA Flagship First check in and Flagship lounge at JFK (BA OWE).
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by Jed
We had booked JFK-ORD this coming April 2020 (flights booked Sep 2019). Found out earlier this week that all AA JFK-ORD flights are cancelled on our travel date. Rebooked LGA-ORD, as didn’t want the hassle of a connecting flight JFK-CMH-ORD.
Shame, as we were looking forward to trying out the AA Flagship First check in and Flagship lounge at JFK (BA OWE).
I had wanted to fly ORF-JFK-EZE in April and when I went to book the other day, ORF-LGA-JFK- EZE was showing up. AA Twitter reps looked into it and said ORF-JFK was being discontinued on April 6. Ugh, I used to fly through JFK for international connections a lot!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
I had wanted to fly ORF-JFK-EZE in April and when I went to book the other day, ORF-LGA-JFK- EZE was showing up. AA Twitter reps looked into it and said ORF-JFK was being discontinued on April 6. Ugh, I used to fly through JFK for international connections a lot!
Have AA route you ORF/MIA/EZE. The ORF/MIA flight is on a ER4 though but I'd still take that over a LGA/JFK transfer.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wow......was trying to book LGA-ORD next week and the "Shuttle" schedules are awful this month.....infrequent service, RJ's, A319's with only 8F......WTH? Does AA not understand that business travel starts back up after the holidays? Back to the DL Shuttle which is still hourly and all mainline.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
AA Twitter reps looked into it and said ORF-JFK was being discontinued on April 6.
Originally Posted by Jed
We had booked JFK-ORD this coming April 2020 (flights booked Sep 2019). Found out earlier this week that all AA JFK-ORD flights are cancelled on our travel date.
Given the timing, I wonder if this is more a function of the MAX delays (and knock-on effects) than the ongoing pullbacks in NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.