Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:12 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Took the weekly seasonal JFK-SKB flight this Saturday. I know Saturday morning is the lightest travel time of the week, but boy was it sad in T8. Just feels totally lifeless in the midfield terminal.

Flight was lightly loaded, no one for the exit rows, and MCE was not full either.

It was interesting to me that even at 8AM the Departure Boards had so little on them to show the Europe night flights were already up.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Looks like this change is going to be in place at least through November. Only one daily flight. There are numerous reductions among the AE flights with majority of destinations (CLE, CMH, BWI, YUL, etc.) going down to just one flight per day. Granted this may be mainly driven by the runway closure, but I won't be surprised that most of those cuts will stick.

LAS also permanently goes down to two daily flights. SAN/SEA goes down to 1x daily.

Side note - flying between PIT/JFK to connect to TATL flight is very frustrating. AA charges more to fly PIT-JFK to connect to a TATL flight even though the flight loads are very poor on this route. For our upcoming trip to LHR, we are connecting in DCA on the outbound to JFK

I suppose this is what happens when you lose economics of scale necessitating to charge a premium to make the "hub" profitable.

Side note 2 - AA is now definitely feeling the squeeze at PHL operationally after rebanking PHL (eliminated two banks and made the remaining ones bigger) and trying to make PHL the main TATL hub where there are severe infrastructure limitations. On our PIT-PHL flights its becoming more common that we have to sit on the tarmac at PIT because there is no gate or space to park at PHL if we arrive early.
It seems the only flight AA gives a hoot about is the JFK/LAX route. Other than that good luck getting around directly. I switched over to Delta this year because my situation changed and now I'm flying JFK/SEA of which they only have one daily direct flight option, pitiful.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Took the weekly seasonal JFK-SKB flight this Saturday. I know Saturday morning is the lightest travel time of the week, but boy was it sad in T8. Just feels totally lifeless in the midfield terminal.

Flight was lightly loaded, no one for the exit rows, and MCE was not full either.

It was interesting to me that even at 8AM the Departure Boards had so little on them to show the Europe night flights were already up.
The Admirals Club last Friday morning was similarly depressing - we were two of maybe 15 total guests. That said, my upgrade rate to/from JFK is fantastic these days (even on premium transcons), and I can't complain about never having a security line with more than two people in front of me.
GTITAN and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I just did a pass on my reservations and my SEA-JFK-DCA is now SEA-CLT-DCA. There's no longer a non-stop SEA-JFK (at least in May).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I wonder if BCN is at risk of going to PHL.
Fortunately (?), PHL already has a BCN flight. But co-sign all of the posts above on how sad JFK T8 can be at certain (or all?) times of day/days of week.

AA has said some of the recent reductions, especially the Eagle ones, are related to the closure of 13L/31R this summer (other airlines have been asked to similarly reduce their schedules), and that they'll resume flying their "full schedule" in the fall once the runway is reopened.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think there's strong demand from NYC to MXP although with that number of airlines who knows what kind of yields AA is getting. I don't know what kind of demand would be outside of NYC. From what I understand Milan is a very industrial city. BCN is a bit strange as it would seem there isn't a huge local demand from NYC, unlike MAD. SCL is in fact LATAM.
This is purely anecdotal, but the times I have flown between JFK/BCN, many people on the flight seemed to be O&D, either visiting family or tourism (on both ends). The flight is also timed well for business, where you can get a full day of work in Barcelona. And the load factors were pretty decent. Granted, I don't know the kind of yields they're getting because I bought JFK-BCN rt for $500 and I've also seen JFK-MXP for $450 on occasion (in May, no less).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US industry’s cartel kingpins have their boundaries and don’t want to step hard on the toes of the other cartel kingpins, as peace within the oligopoly is more profitable than open warfare amongst the oligopoly’s kingpins. And so AA is more or less signaling to DL that JFK is going to be DL’s first by far and away (when it comes to dividing up the market amongst the US3 airlines); and as EWR will of course remain UA’s, AA seems to be slowly but surely retreating from NYC.

It will be interesting to see how these cartel kingpins deal with parceling LAX over the longer term.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US industry’s cartel kingpins have their boundaries and don’t want to step hard on the toes of the other cartel kingpins, as peace within the oligopoly is more profitable than open warfare amongst the oligopoly’s kingpins. And so AA is more or less signaling to DL that JFK is going to be DL’s first by far and away (when it comes to dividing up the market amongst the US3 airlines); and as EWR will of course remain UA’s, AA seems to be slowly but surely retreating from NYC.

It will be interesting to see how these cartel kingpins deal with parceling LAX over the longer term.
The thing is that AA still runs a solid schedule out of LGA, and they are not giving up slots at either airline - so despite their weakening positioning, they really aren't cutting net capacity, or so it seems. On Saturdays especially, all of these airlines (and especially American) are flying flights that are half full. I've been on plenty of Delta flights in and out of NYC that are lightly loaded. Are airlines OK with this situation long term?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The thing is that AA still runs a solid schedule out of LGA, and they are not giving up slots at either airline - so despite their weakening positioning, they really aren't cutting net capacity, or so it seems. On Saturdays especially, all of these airlines (and especially American) are flying flights that are half full. I've been on plenty of Delta flights in and out of NYC that are lightly loaded. Are airlines OK with this situation long term?
Those routes may be profitable overall (although I tend to think AA makes very little, if anything, on its domestic operation). If they cut out flights for Saturday afternoon and evening they have to find a place to park those a/c. Then there is the issue of getting a/c back online to cover the heavy Sunday afternoon flow. For work I often book last minute travel and can't get a Sunday afternoon flight out without going way over policy (a just booked a Sunday MIA/ORD flight and if I had left in the afternoon it would have cost over $1,300). So there's more to it than airlines willing to fly half empty flights. Often it's a better option.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Posted at the CrankyFlier blog today: https://crankyflier.com/2019/04/09/a...ork-this-fall/

Looks like they will be increasing the # of flights/day out of JFK post the runway renovation.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Posted at the CrankyFlier blog today: https://crankyflier.com/2019/04/09/a...ork-this-fall/

Looks like they will be increasing the # of flights/day out of JFK post the runway renovation.
Schedules this fall, and beyond, are subject to change. AA has been reducing JFK, and may not have implemented the reductions in the fall schedule yet.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by Austin787
Schedules this fall, and beyond, are subject to change. AA has been reducing JFK, and may not have implemented the reductions in the fall schedule yet.
For what it is worth this blogger used to work at American and it sounds like he talked to people at American when writing this post so seems like, at least for now, American's intention it to actually expand the JFK schedule in the fall.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
It is a shame that AA and AS can't codeshare between JFK and SEA considering the minimal service the AA now offers. Our JFK-SEA flight on 6/1 was cancelled. The AS flight would have been a good alternative.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:42 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Would have been nicer to see more long haul, intl. routes use those slots post Nov 2019.....
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:59 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by perseus11
If you force a routing (PIT-JFK-LHR), which is not available as a thru fare, you're going to have to pay for each segment separately. Why would you do that rather than accepting one of the plethora of thru fare routings offered : PIT-PHL/ORD/CLT-LHR ??

The statement : " AA is definitely feeling the squeeze at PHL operationally after rebanking" is a personal and refutable opinion.
If there were "severe infrastructure limitations" at PHL, AA would have abandoned it, not bulked it up into its now "main TATL Hub".

Delaying the departure of a flight that would arrive earlier than scheduled and tie up a gate that was scheduled for an on-time arrival is very typical at most Hubs, such as JFK, LAX, ORD, etc.. It's called schedule/gate management.
PIT-JFK-LHR is definitely a through fare... You can see in the fare construction of a random search I just did that the fare doesn’t break for PIT-LON with a JFK connection.

PIT AA X/NYC AA LON 370.00QKW8C1B5 AA X/NYC AA PIT 320.00

For hub rebanking - sometimes how things look on a spreadsheet does not always translate in reality. Rebanking absolutely helps drive down costs by a considerable margin.... When everything goes according to plan. When you pad your flight times too much (i.e. PIT-PHL has 30-40 minutes of padding) it gives a false sense when calculating ground resources causing revolving operational challenges on the ground when something skips a beat (ground crew, gate agent, caterering, gate space, etc.). Once one link shakes the domino effect begins.

Rebanking is better than rolling hubs no doubt, but the question is how aggressive should you be with rebanking? I think this is the challenge AA has right now as I can tell from my experience that AA is deep in the aggressive terriority (missed connections, mis-catering, gate agents struggling, lack of gate space, etc.). AA’s operational reliability is not very good and their financial results aren’t showing the benefits that I think they are hoping to achieve from tightening up the hub banks.

Last edited by golfingboy; Apr 9, 2019 at 10:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.