Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hawaii: AA to resume ORD - HNL seasonally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii: AA to resume ORD - HNL seasonally

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rjlon
I believe the DFW flights particularly the premium cabin are primarily aimed at the DFW marketplace. The LAX flights seem to angled more for connections.
What?!? The DFW flights are perfectly timed for connections and have always contained a high percentage of connecting passengers like all flights out of DFW, which is AA's LARGEST hub. The LAX flights have always had a much higher percentage of local traffic (as LAX has far fewer connecting opportunities than DFW and ORD). Since this thread is about ORD-HNL, I would guess that a high percentage of the ORD-HNL passengers will be connecting.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
I believe LAX only has one wide body and it's seasonal IIRC.
I don't think LAX-HNL-LAX gets a widebody very often?

If it does, I feel like a real mug for taking so many of those overnight flights on the 321 without a lie flat seat ...

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 4, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Calchas
I don't think LAX-HNL-LAX gets a widebody very often?

If it does, I feel like a real mug for taking so many of those overnight flights on the 321 without a lie flat seat ...
They had one 772 for peak season on LAX-HNL-LAX (Dec holidays into Jan) this year. Was the ~11pm redeye east returning at 3pm to HNL west. They also put an A333 on PHX-HNL-PHX (once daily replacing 2 757-H flights)
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...hawaii-routes/
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

same.....always DFW when going to Hawaii if possible.
I live in LA and still did HNL-DFW-LAX last week on the redeye - way better than the HNL-LAX redeye in the recliner in F!
JDiver, Calchas, AANYC1981 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Score! I was able to rearrange my Dec schedule such that I am now on flight 75 from ORD to HNL on Dec. 19th, the day service resumes (seasonally) on this route. Also I was able to snag seat 1A on the 788. I'll post a trip report.
McSam18, Calchas and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by uscjeff
I live in LA and still did HNL-DFW-LAX last week on the redeye - way better than the HNL-LAX redeye in the recliner in F!
My mind is officially boggled

Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:37 am

I am presently on board flight 75. AA had a bit of hoopla at gate K9 for this flight with kitschy Hawaiian paraphernalia and refreshments. Surprisingly, amenity kits were handed out in first class. These are the old Cole Haan kits. Our purser, Charlie, was not sure if that would continue or if this was just for this flight.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Don't forget your trip report.
ExpatExp and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:00 pm

I was on the American Airlines launch flight (flight 75) for their renewed Chicago/Honolulu non-stop service and wanted to share the experience. The flight departed on Dec.19th from Gate K9 at ORD. American had decorated the gate area with kitschy Hawaiian themed paraphernalia. All the employees were either wearing real leis or plastic ones and there was a table where passengers could take one for themselves. There was also a table with light refreshments. Don’t know if there were any speeches as I arrived at the gate just after boarding began.

After boarding and depositing myself in 1A, the purser for the flight (Charlie) came by handing out amenity kits (Cole Haan). I asked her if AA was planning on handing out these kits on this flight in the future and she thought it may have been just for the inaugural launch.

The PDB consisted of Zonin Prosecco, OJ, or water. The FA doing the PDB service said she would be glad to do a mimosa if I wanted one. I went with water. Pushback from the gate occurred at 10:09 AM about one minute ahead of our scheduled departure. Shortly after takeoff, lunch service began with the usual warm towel. The first course was a tropical bean and edamame dip served with pita bread. This was paired with a baby boston red oak lettuce salad. The salad was pretty good but the edamame dip was a bit too cold in temperature for my taste.

For my entrée, I had preselected the macadamia-crusted chicken with soba noodles and sugar snap peas. This dish was very good. The chicken was tender and flavored well without being too dry. The FA offered a number of white and red wines but I stuck with water. After lunch, I put my seat in the lie-flat position and thought I would just catnap for a few minutes. When I woke, we were over Ventura County, CA with a beautiful view of the Channel Islands.

Charlie came by my seat and asked if I wanted anything. I went with coffee thinking this would keep me awake for the rest of the flight. I read for about three hours and, sure enough, fell asleep again. When I woke, we were about 600 miles from Honolulu. I did manage to stay awake for the remainder of the flight. We landed in Honolulu at 3:12 PM ahead of our scheduled arrival which was 3:40 PM. Some points about this flight should be made. The soft product in first class seemed more aligned with international J than domestic F, i.e., the amenity kit and two hot towel services (one before lunch and another prior to arrival). The infamous “coupled seat problem” on the 788 has been mitigated but not eliminated. I could feel it when the passenger in 2A adjusted his seat and I’m sure he could feel it when I did the same. However, it did not seem as severe as it did when the 788 was first introduced. The aircraft used was N802AN which was the third 788 delivered to AA on 5/14/15.

JDiver, ESpen36, twa777 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by marnold3; Dec 20, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Thanks! Great to have the HNL-ORD-LHR option back again so I can get home to London and collapse into bed. Still waiting for the Mai Tais to return, however… Love that HA still serves them.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:41 am

Thought you all might like to see the menu from flight 75 on 12/19/18.

ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Flying on AA75 today (12/26). Same menu as posted above, quilted blanket with large pillow, but no ammenity kit as seen on the inaugural flight. Bose headsets were offered.
marnold3 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by runpete
Flying on AA75 today (12/26). Same menu as posted above, quilted blanket with large pillow, but no ammenity kit as seen on the inaugural flight. Bose headsets were offered.
I guess Charlie, the purser on the inaugural flight, was correct when she thought the amenity kits might be a "one-off" for the launch flight last Wed.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:33 am

I was back on flight 75, ORD/HNL, yesterday and wanted to share the experience. Got to O’Hare at around 8 AM, quickly cleared security, and went to the H/K Admirals’ Club for what I thought would be a brief visit since boarding was to start at 9:30 AM. Left for gate K13 at 9:25 AM. When I got to the gate, the gate agent was just announcing a delay of perhaps one to two hours and that food and drink would be brought to the gate area for the waiting passengers. The aircraft was at the gate, but maintenance was dealing with an issue that would take some time.

I decided to return to the club after the gate agent told me she would call the club when the flight was ready for boarding. Left the club at 11:30 AM but when I got to the gate a further delay was being announced. When boarding finally did start an announcement was made that Group 1 would be the last to board rather than the first. The reason given was that we were boarding through L1 rather than L2. I found that rather strange since boarding at HNL is through L1 and the regular group boarding order is always followed. Finally boarded and deposited myself in seat 1A. There were the usual amenities at the seat including a pillow and blanket, Bose headphones, and a bottle of water. Unlike the launch flight on Dec. 19th, there was no amenity kit at the seat or handed out. Also, no PDB was offered since first class was the last to board. Pushback from the gate occurred at 12:56 PM, two hours and forty-one minutes past our scheduled departure time. The cabin crew led by Kitty, our purser, did a great job. After lunch, I read for a bit and then sacked out for almost three hours. When I woke, we were just starting to head out over the Pacific Ocean. Landed in Honolulu at 6:25 PM about two and a half hours past our scheduled arrival. In hindsight, I think AA handled this delay well. The gate agent at ORD was proactive in keeping the waiting passengers informed, placated, and fed.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by marnold3
I was back on flight 75, ORD/HNL, yesterday and wanted to share the experience. Got to O’Hare at around 8 AM, quickly cleared security, and went to the H/K Admirals’ Club for what I thought would be a brief visit since boarding was to start at 9:30 AM. Left for gate K13 at 9:25 AM. When I got to the gate, the gate agent was just announcing a delay of perhaps one to two hours and that food and drink would be brought to the gate area for the waiting passengers. The aircraft was at the gate, but maintenance was dealing with an issue that would take some time.

I decided to return to the club after the gate agent told me she would call the club when the flight was ready for boarding. Left the club at 11:30 AM but when I got to the gate a further delay was being announced. When boarding finally did start an announcement was made that Group 1 would be the last to board rather than the first. The reason given was that we were boarding through L1 rather than L2. I found that rather strange since boarding at HNL is through L1 and the regular group boarding order is always followed. Finally boarded and deposited myself in seat 1A. There were the usual amenities at the seat including a pillow and blanket, Bose headphones, and a bottle of water. Unlike the launch flight on Dec. 19th, there was no amenity kit at the seat or handed out. Also, no PDB was offered since first class was the last to board. Pushback from the gate occurred at 12:56 PM, two hours and forty-one minutes past our scheduled departure time. The cabin crew led by Kitty, our purser, did a great job. After lunch, I read for a bit and then sacked out for almost three hours. When I woke, we were just starting to head out over the Pacific Ocean. Landed in Honolulu at 6:25 PM about two and a half hours past our scheduled arrival. In hindsight, I think AA handled this delay well. The gate agent at ORD was proactive in keeping the waiting passengers informed, placated, and fed.
What was the reason for the delay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.