Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Limiting # of Segments on Award Tickets as of 3 Aug 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Limiting # of Segments on Award Tickets as of 3 Aug 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I believe the quoted exception is to the direct flight rule which has been around a long time. I don't think it's an exception too the new rule.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
I believe the quoted exception is to the direct flight rule which has been around a long time. I don't think it's an exception too the new rule.
Well, if any of it is in reference to the quote in JDiver's post above, that's definitely not an exception to this new change.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I haven't followed this all that closely yet-- which exception are you referring to?
I believe the exception would be this:

You have to intend (my emphasis) to take the most direct routing, which is explained in the rules as follows: “The number of awards assessed should be determined by the customer’s intentions. If the indirect routing is booked at the customer’s request, multiple awards should apply using Pricing Override Options – Force Fare Breakpoint. If the routing is booked based on lack of award availability on direct routes, then an exception may be made, allowing Sabre to price as one award.”
However, I fail to see how agents will be able to enforce this. Often they can't see the availability that I've been able to find via EF.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gradboozer
I believe the exception would be this:
No, this is all a misunderstanding-- that is not new and not an exception to this.

It's of no relevance to this new change.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No, this is all a misunderstanding-- that is not new and not an exception to this.

It's of no relevance to this new change.
Jon, any word as to whether a ground transfer between co-terminals (like LGA//JFK, FLL//MIA, or SNA//LAX would use up one of the permissible segments?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Jon, any word as to whether a ground transfer between co-terminals (like LGA//JFK, FLL//MIA, or SNA//LAX would use up one of the permissible segments?
I'm actually first catching upon all of this, so I'm clueless on those details, unfortunately.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:54 am

does anyone knows what would happen if the most direct routing does not have the class of service that i am booking the rest of my award for? Would I then be allowed more than 4 segments in 1 award? E.g. if I'm booking CGK-MCO in first and HKG-MCO is already 3 segments (all in business/first), but CGK-HKG only has Y and no J, is it possible to route, e.g. via KUL with MH J? So essentially, is "CGK-KUL-HKG-XXX-YYY-MCO" allowed, on the basis that CGK-HKG is only available in Y and not J?
billybobson1402 likes this.

Last edited by hkgg; Nov 12, 2017 at 11:07 am
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by guv1976
I'm not Jon, but I can confirm that this is fine. I just booked a four-segment international award where flight #3 arrives into JFK and flight #4 departs from EWR.

Originally Posted by hkgg
does anyone knows what would happen if the most direct routing does not have the class of service that i am booking the rest of my award for? Would I then be allowed more than 4 segments in 1 award? E.g. if I'm booking CGK-MCO in first and HKG-MCO is already 3 segments (all in business/first), but CGK-HKG only has Y and no J, is it possible to route, e.g. via KUL with MH J? So essentially, is "CGK-KUL-HKG-XXX-YYY-MCO" allowed, on the basis that CGK-HKG is only available in Y and not J?
No. It's a hard limit that AA says cannot be overridden nor waived. It doesn't matter if there is zero award availability (in any class) on all possible routes that stay under the limit. AA's position is that if you need more flights (even if only because of AA's utter lack of SAAver award availability), you pay for extra awards.

Last edited by anabolism; Nov 27, 2017 at 6:26 pm Reason: typo: had written AAnytime when obviously SAAver was meant.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
Because often the domestic nonstop to LAX isn't available, but a connection in ORD/DFW/PHX is?
But there are other OW ways to get to HKG without going through LAX and NRT
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
One of the curious things I would observe is AA's inclination to multi-segment the user request on their own.

Example: Paris to Phoenix -- one way - business class.

The most direct sequence would be CDG/DFW/PHX or CDG/MIA/PHX or any of a number -- using AA metal.

But those flights often require 'anytime' miles.

Not to worry, right -- there are 57.5K options -- these typically are:

CDG/LHR LHR/ORD -- British Airways
ORD/PHX -- AA

So not only is AA pushing you to an extra segment, they are pushing you to using BA and paying the BA premium for using miles.

Just rather..... curious.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am trying to book my way back from Europe to Canada and bumping into this, terrible restriction, so pissed....
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:51 am

Keep in mind that you can use AS on an AA award, and AS often has much better award availability than does AA.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nk15
I am trying to book my way back from Europe to Canada and bumping into this, terrible restriction, so pissed....
How is this a problem? The 'published fare' rule has existed for years. Are you saying there's a published fare that would allow 5+ segments?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How is this a problem? The 'published fare' rule has existed for years. Are you saying there's a published fare that would allow 5+ segments?
Absolutely, especially when AA is the most significant carrier, as the published fare rule doesn't really come into play.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's a real problem, and in some cases a very significant one. AA has been severely restricting SAAver award availability for many years now, since before the merger, and it's gotten even worse, especially for premium cabin awards. In the past, it was possible to construct an award by spending hours searching EF for every possible routing. I've resorted to a number of five and six segment and even longer when it was the only way to construct an award. By booking at the edge of the booking window, there would often be schedule changes that allowed me to reduce the number of segments dramatically, but that only works after ticketing. With the limit, award travel in many cases becomes impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.