FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1838486-im-going-start-using-fa-call-button-why-not.html)

Doc Savage Apr 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 28219340)
Then they just ignore it/you, and turn it off as they pass your seat.

It's easy to just turn it back on.

I think I've used a call button a total of 5 times in 20+ years of flying. Aggressive laziness on the part of an employee might certainly change that for a single flight if only to make a point. ;)

ryan182 Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh (Post 28219188)
I was flying DFW-GRU and I was actually told after pushing the Flight Attendant Call Button that it was exclusively for Emergencies ONLY and that otherwise I should wait patiently and that was in F.

So, since then I have avoided it like the plague and only contemplated using when an actual emergency occurred.

Assuming your plane has wifi would be a great opportunity for twitter: Hi AA your lazy FA just told us the call button is only for emergencies - can you clarify AA policy?

Then show the FA the response from AA, using the call button to get their attention of course.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm

I find on the Airbus if you are seated in the window you have to reach over into your seatmate's face to hit the call button (or air vents). I try to use it only when necessary like a spill. Otherwise I make a request going to the lav or as a FA is walking by.

yurtripper Apr 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I just go to the bathroom and ask for something on my way back to my seat...works every time and let's them know I am awake and would like to be checked on.
Did this on a LOT flight recently (WAW-ICN) and the FA just pointed to the bottles of water on the drinks trolley with a 'you can serve yourself look'. Same thing happened on the return leg. In fact, all the Y cabin crew were sitting together at the back, were they spent virtually the entire flight chatting with each other while the pax kept coming to serve themselves drinks.

danielonn Apr 23, 2017 1:23 pm

How about having an option on the Inflight Entertainment Screen to order a drink or snack and the light above is Blue but in an Emergency you either press the Red Button and the light flashes Red with three tones pause three tones etc. being heard in the galley. A double tone for non emergencies.

Or on other planes who do not have the IFE system you press a Red Button for an Emergency and a Green Button for other non urgent needs.

OnStar in the car has different buttons one for SOS one for the Concierge.

Just my two cents.

Doc Savage Apr 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper (Post 28219500)
Did this on a LOT flight recently (WAW-ICN) and the FA just pointed to the bottles of water on the drinks trolley with a 'you can serve yourself look'. Same thing happened on the return leg. In fact, all the Y cabin crew were sitting together at the back, were they spent virtually the entire flight chatting with each other while the pax kept coming to serve themselves drinks.

Well, you know how it is with that LOT. :rolleyes:

:D

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 28219532)
How about having an option on the Inflight Entertainment Screen to order a drink or snack and the light above is Blue but in an Emergency you either press the Red Button and the light flashes Red with three tones pause three tones etc. being heard in the galley. A double tone for non emergencies.

Or on other planes who do not have the IFE system you press a Red Button for an Emergency and a Green Button for other non urgent needs.

OnStar in the car has different buttons one for SOS one for the Concierge.

Just my two cents.

Better yet, a Morse code setup so you could telegraph your orders!

skylady Apr 23, 2017 1:41 pm

There is nothing wrong with hitting the call button, just don't act surprised when I show up at your seat:D

oysterhead43 Apr 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Here we go, from Twitter Team:

https://preview.ibb.co/cCHEqk/IMG_6443.jpg

Premier Owl Apr 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Its all about the way you interact with cabin crew.

Face them as their employee & they will treat you as a nothing. Have an air of authority & you will be served.

Too many passengers think they are bothering crew. My view, especially if I am in F, ping the button, ask for what you require, say thank you and if it doesn't come ask if there is a problem....

jmj9905 Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Oysterhead 43 I think you have settled this question.

Thanks.

enviroian Apr 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43 (Post 28219586)

I would screen shoot that and flash it anytime some flight attendant comes by (eventually) and asks what's the problem.

scubadu Apr 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43 (Post 28219586)

Where in the world did you hear the FA call button is only for emergencies? :confused:

Aye carumba... I'm going to bite my tongue on the rest of my thought...

Regards

RockyRobin Apr 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43 (Post 28219070)
In the past, I've always considered the FA call button a last resort, primarily for dire situations, safety or health. But in the past, inflight service particularly on long haul flights was far more attentive. Now we have situations where passengers are left to their own devices for hours on end. Even in J and F.

So, the times they are a changing and so will I:

The moment I feel abandoned or poorly serviced, rather than sit there annoyed, the call button is getting pushed. I literally will be pushier to get the service I desire.

Why not!?

I had a FA have a right pop at me on an EasyJet flight once for using.

I complained to the main FA on my way off.

I wish I had been quicker to respond at the time by pointing out to her that if it was for emergencies only why the hell has it got a picture of you holding an iced drink on it?

I won't be not replying of there is a next time

apeortdz Apr 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 28219086)
I just go to the bathroom and ask for something on my way back to my seat...works every time and let's them know I am awake and would like to be checked on.

I use this approach too. I go to the toilet and when I come out, I say "May I please have a diet coke(*)...I am in 2F. Thanks."

(*) or an OJ with Tito's vodka in it

carlosdca Apr 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 28219775)
Where in the world did you hear the FA call button is only for emergencies? :confused:

Aye carumba... I'm going to bite my tongue on the rest of my thought...

Regards

HE heard it here, post #6

Originally Posted by kmersh (Post 28219188)
I was flying DFW-GRU and I was actually told after pushing the Flight Attendant Call Button that it was exclusively for Emergencies ONLY and that otherwise I should wait patiently and that was in F.