Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (2017+ consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (2017+ consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:42 pm

JFK LAX is very competitive market for premium customers. Thats the pair where it all started.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
Why is AA consistently more expensive by $400 on this JFK-SFO route? What am I missing?
People in SF and NY can afford it.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've heard about those J fares from LAX-NYC to Match B6 but I've never anything remotely close. Do they still exist?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
So ... as I checked in and boarded today from DFW to MIA, I got it ... there appears to be this thing of EXP's planning spring break vacations with their children and families. Since they planned in advance, they took up all the MCE seats. Some apparently even Uber fare to Miami is less than the cost savings. Then again no Centurion lounge or AC
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
You can find 1,300 from LAX to JFK but you have to take overnight (redeye) flight on the way there (9 or 10 PM) and on the return has to be the 9PM or 10PM flight as well. So you get into JFK super early the next day and get into LAX super late on the way back.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:45 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
A little over a month ago i booked - LAX-JFK-SFO-LAX - in May all in J except SFO -LAX for about $1150. May is very difficult for J fares to JFK, since all of the college graduations and network Upfronts. (look at J & F fares the week of May 15th!)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I'm trying to get a cheap ticket to JAX and coming back home from FLL. The ticket prices is $435 RT. That's too expensive! There is no reason for that. The those days is on June 4 to 9, 2017. Any ideas?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm traveling from DFW to South Florida today (March 10) . When I bought a ticket last week, all flights to MIA/PBI/FLL were J0 and most were YO. Since I bought outside the CK/EXP upgrade window, it must be paid so if its Spring Breakers, they are buying F.

I was initially stuck on a non-MCE middle seat but finally was able to move to an MCE seat. It's a little crazy today.
I flew NYC-MIA over Presidents week, which is at least as busy a week as Spring break. FC was virtually sold out on those Saturdays across the entire schedule, 2+ weeks in advance. It was all paid, or AAnyrime awards. Fortunately for me, on my return, coach was so full that the D fare for First was cheaper than the Y for coach! (And work was paying)

Obviously they *werent* pricing J correctly...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Back when I was trying to justify a full switch to AA it seemed that AA was nearly always 10-20% more than UA out of IAH. Today I booked a bunch of tickets and AA was the cheapest on nearly every economy itinerary. For F DL is usually the lowest.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive

I would posit that they are, by definition, not non-competitive. If they were truly not competitive, people would stop flying AA. The number crunchers at AA have figured out how high they can raise the prices. Sure they'll lose pax as prices go up; but they are there to optimize income, not make the fares as cheap as they possibly can. And why shouldn't they? AA isn't a charity. I charge what the market will bear in my business.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
My wife is a teacher and her school's spring break is always the last full week of March. We've been booking flights that week to Mexico or the Caribbean for about 15 years.

I book well in advance, 300 or more days out. AA has always been cheaper in both coach and first/business to those destinations. This year AA was a good $200 or $300 cheaper that UA for F seats. And AA was about $100 cheaper for Y seats.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: spg plat, AA PLAT, Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by Centurion
JFK LAX is very competitive market for premium customers. Thats the pair where it all started.
I have been doing this route since 2006 about 3-4 times year mainly business trips. Since the last qtr of 2016, I noticed fare on this route and overall has gone signficantly up. I did a similar trip 2 weeks ago in J and probably paid about 50% more than previously. Now I am looking at similar trips in May and October and the prices are extremely high.

It seems the guys in Revenue management have a strategy. Overall too on other routes using upgrades is almost impossible, did about 12 segments for this year already and nothing.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Valmiki
I have been doing this route since 2006 about 3-4 times year mainly business trips. Since the last qtr of 2016, I noticed fare on this route and overall has gone signficantly up. I did a similar trip 2 weeks ago in J and probably paid about 50% more than previously. Now I am looking at similar trips in May and October and the prices are extremely high.

It seems the guys in Revenue management have a strategy. Overall too on other routes us4ing upgrades is almost impossible, did about 12 segments for this year already and nothing.
I can attest to this on UA as well.... I only sat in J over the last 2 years when I paid outright for it. 0 for 3 applying RPUs.... even when booked in B on one of those segments.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Try flying in and out of BNA (Nashville). Fares are always sky high out of there. If I transit to ORD using miles, I can usually save $300-700 on all tickets. Did ORD-PVG for sub 600, while it was $1200 out of BNA. The bean counters have really drilled those of us in BNA!!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
Try flying in and out of BNA (Nashville). Fares are always sky high out of there. If I transit to ORD using miles, I can usually save $300-700 on all tickets. Did ORD-PVG for sub 600, while it was $1200 out of BNA. The bean counters have really drilled those of us in BNA!!
It's not "bean counters"; it's about the basic law of supply and demand. BNA must not currently have low-cost competition flying there, at least on the routes that you are traveling. It has pretty much been this way since deregulation in the late-70's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.