Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrades on American? (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Free upgrades on American? (to merge)

Hey guys,

Can you tell me all the best tips and tricks on how to get complimentary upgrades from the airline before departure?? I'm currently not an elite status member but I am apart of the AA Advantage program. I know I can't just go to the desk and straight up ask for an upgrade, so I wanted to hear what you guys know what the best way is to get an upgrade. Thanks!!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chapdaddy33
Hey guys,

Can you tell me all the best tips and tricks on how to get complimentary upgrades from the airline before departure?? I'm currently not an elite status member but I am apart of the AA Advantage program. I know I can't just go to the desk and straight up ask for an upgrade, so I wanted to hear what you guys know what the best way is to get an upgrade. Thanks!!
Realistically, without status there's no chance. Strategy doesn't matter.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Without elite status I suspect you're hosed.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by melkor
Without elite status I suspect you're hosed.
For complementary upgrades, definitely. With enough miles and a copay, OP might have a decent chance at a non-free upgrade.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Hey guys,

The best way is to pay for the seat you want.

Safe Travels!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Hey guys,

You could marry someone with Executive Platinum status, and then travel with your new spouse.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Have you considered the Army?

If everyone on the upgrade list has cleared and first class seats are still available, gate agents will sometimes upgrade those in uniform.

Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
This actually seems to be a pretty common question with answers that vary based on airline. When I was trying to figure out the upgrade rules for BA as an AA elite, I stumbled across a page where people claimed they were upgraded because they were "dressed smartly" and asked for it. I've heard personal stories from family members who were upgraded to first (on a different airline) when they told the gate agent they were on their honeymoon.

Whether those stories are true or not, no such thing will happen on AA. Assuming there are 0 elites, 0 deadheading crew, a surplus of first class seats, and an overbooked coach cabin, they could op-up you to first for free... But I'd venture to say your odds are better playing the Mega Millions.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I have a friend who doesn't really understand the concept of Elite Status and always thinks I'm lucky because I get upgraded. She has tried all sorts of excuses (honeymoon, birthday, dressing smartly) and, as expected, never works.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I have a friend who doesn't really understand the concept of Elite Status and always thinks I'm lucky because I get upgraded. She has tried all sorts of excuses (honeymoon, birthday, dressing smartly) and, as expected, never works.
Thank goodness, no GA is stupid enough to upgrade her to the next class who claims its because of their honeymoon, birthday, etc. I can't imagine all on the desperate people on every flight trying to pull that same crap hoping to get lucky.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Thank goodness, no GA is stupid enough to upgrade her to the next class who claims its because of their honeymoon
While not common I have seen gate agents do exactly that many times including most recently last November.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I once saw someone who got upgraded because he was (to use the Southwest terminology) a Customer of Size, and could not fit into a regular seat. However, I wouldn't go buy a fat suit for this purpose since this was highly unusual (I've only seen it once).

I have seen non-status pax upgraded due to weight and balance issues on an Embraer 170, but this is again rare and there's no strategy for an individual passenger to use.

Both of the above presuppose factors that are generally beyond your control. The biggest one is that for any chance of a non-status upgrade, you need to start with a lightly loaded flight up front-- so it's not as much about you as about which flight you're on. Then you need to add some reason on top of that why they can't seat you in Y. Of course, if the flight is lightly loaded, sitting in your own row in Y is pretty nice anyway, and domestic F isn't much of an upgrade outside food/booze if you race about that.

If you really want to get an upgrade, as others have stated, buy the Y-UP fare (usually labeled "discounted First") or use miles + copay.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Surefire strategies

Hey guys,

Red highlighting mine

Here are 2 strategies ("tips and tricks") for free upgrades:

1. During 2017, fly more than 100,000 miles BIS (Butt In Seat) OR 120+ segments AND spend more than $12,000 on American Airlines tickets. After that, the gates to heaven will open up, and all domestic upgrades will be both AUTOMATICALLY be requested and free.

2. Actually ... Heaven forbid ... PURCHASE a F or J ticket. The upgrade comes with it. Who knew?

IMHO-Looking for ways to get free upgrades is the airport version of welfare-One is looking for a benefit, without ONE having worked for, or earned it. YMMV

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jan 23, 2017 at 7:44 am Reason: correct English
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Just adding that even being EXP is no guarantee, especially on CLT/PHX/PHL/DFW flights during peak business times. My upgrade percentage for January is only 15% (2 out of 13 segments). Still hoping this will change for the better once EQD starts to affect, since i book last minute.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Hey guys,

If you want an upgrade from a middle seat to an aisle then ask the gate agent nicely and when they are not busy. Don't refer to it as an upgrade and don't get picky about the specific aisle seat.

If there are only bad seats available then don't choose one. Could be that the nice exit row seat is available (but hidden from you) and may be assigned at check in.

As others have said: an actual class of service upgrade is unlikely. If you look on the AA app at any flight departing within 4 hrs you can see how many people are on the upgrade list. For short flights it may be as much as 1/3 of the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.