Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I have a couple Basic Economy tickets left that I purchased late last year before swearing them off. I am currently plat pro (through the promo offer) and at check in a couple days ago the agent wouldn't let my wife (on the same PNR) carry on her purse and an equally sized leather bag (carrying a camera and small electronics), both of which could fit under the seat together - I thought since we wouldn't use 'overhead space' and I'm a Citi Exec AA card holder and Plat Pro, we'd be fine (and maybe we should have been?), but apparently not. We had to stuff her purse in one of our checked bags (minus her wallet which fitted in the 'camera bag'), and the agent expressed regret that AA has concocted so many rules on these fares and she was tired of hassling customers over them. I agreed. I mean, here I was, with three large checked bags totally 120 lbs between us (checked for free) and AA had to make an issue about a 0.5 square foot bag where we either had to get rid of it, check it, or pay 50$ because of our BE ticket.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
One option would have been to see if you can talk a nearby store out of a plastic bag to put the two carryon items into.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aacar
Not sure if you'll retain the elite baggage allowance.
Interestingly, American specifically addresses baggage fees and changes to status:

What will it cost?

Complimentary bags

In some cases, you won't have to pay the fees for up to 3 bags. If you qualify for complimentary bags based on elite status, the benefits are based on your highest status level at time of ticketing or check-in.

If your status level is:
  • Higher at ticketing than at check-in, show your ticket receipt to the airport agent
  • Lower at ticketing than at check-in, current benefits will automatically apply
<https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp>

So, in general, you should get the checked bag. But, there is a chance that this is nullified by a clause in your challenge T&Cs.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I have a couple Basic Economy tickets left that I purchased late last year before swearing them off. I am currently plat pro (through the promo offer) and at check in a couple days ago the agent wouldn't let my wife (on the same PNR) carry on her purse and an equally sized leather bag (carrying a camera and small electronics), both of which could fit under the seat together - I thought since we wouldn't use 'overhead space' and I'm a Citi Exec AA card holder and Plat Pro, we'd be fine (and maybe we should have been?), but apparently not. We had to stuff her purse in one of our checked bags (minus her wallet which fitted in the 'camera bag'), and the agent expressed regret that AA has concocted so many rules on these fares and she was tired of hassling customers over them. I agreed. I mean, here I was, with three large checked bags totally 120 lbs between us (checked for free) and AA had to make an issue about a 0.5 square foot bag where we either had to get rid of it, check it, or pay 50$ because of our BE ticket.
There is some ambiguity on AA's website on this. The Basic Economy page explicitly states that eligible card members and elite status holders still get priority boarding (thus free carry-on) and free checked bag on BE fares. Companions aren't explicitly included in these benefits, but they aren't specifically excluded either. Logic would say that if companions are on the same reservation, and thus granted the benefits from elite status; and there is no specific exclusion in the basic economy terms, they should still be granted the benefits.

If you incurred any costs, I would request a refund, and expect it to be granted. I have had to do this a couple of times for things that should have been free, but weren't because the rules weren't applied properly by IT/Gate Agents.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
500 mile upgrade coupon on Basic Economy?

Can AA's 500 mile upgrade coupons be applied to Basic Economy fares? I understand 500-mile upgrade coupons apply only to cash fares in the U.S., not to awards.

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by viperbrown
Can AA's 500 mile upgrade coupons be applied to Basic Economy fares? I understand 500-mile upgrade coupons apply only to cash fares in the U.S., not to awards.

Thanks
"Eligible for upgrades: No"
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

Also keep in mind you get only 1/2 EQM and EQD if you're trying to requal status, and I don't think you can pick MCE as Platinum either.
viperbrown likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage
No. I don't believe you can use any upgrade mechanism (500 mile stickers, upgrade with miles, complimentary upgrades for EXP, etc.) for Basic Economy fares.
viperbrown likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by viperbrown

Thanks
Of course not...

viperbrown likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Sometimes you get lucky with IRROPS or schedule changes on B fares, if the option to rebook you doesn't appear in their normal workflow, you might get rebooked on a regular Y ticket. I had this happen to me earlier this year. I had a EWR -> MIA and MIA -> JFK booked on separate PNRs both in B. There was bad weather in NYC and a travel advisory was issued. I called in and asked if I could keep the same length of my trip but swap my dates. The outbound was rebooked in B but the return was booked in S. I was able to use stickers to upgrade that reservation which was awesome because that was a wide body aircraft with lie flat seats.
viperbrown likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
grazie all, very helpful! no basic economy for my upcoming travel then
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Found a tasty BE fare for a trip next month. Just want to confirm 100% as as Plat, I get two free checked bags and one overhead bag still?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Found a tasty BE fare for a trip next month. Just want to confirm 100% as as Plat, I get two free checked bags and one overhead bag still?
Yes. As described on AA's Basic Economy page:

You can ...

• Take 1 personal item that fits under the seat (no larger than 18 x 14 x 8 in.)
  • Take 1 carry-on free of charge to store in the overhead bin (no larger than 22 x 14 x 9 in.)
  • Keep your priority or preferred boarding privileges
  • Keep your checked bag benefits***
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Thats what I was thinking ,but wanted to be sure. I see very little downside to a BE fare on AA Eagle where the flight is a E145. No upgrades going be happening, the bags are all valet tagged anyhow. Preboarding still green light.

Only downside is that I might be seated next to the engine, but we can live with that on a 45 minute flight. And only 250 EQMs.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:00 pm

Basic economy - How to get free checked bag?

I don't have a status on AA and don't have any AA affiliated credit card... I am planning to book 5 basic economy tickets from LAX - BCN return and planning to check in 3 bags.. whats the best strategy apart from paying $60 for each bag?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
You're buying basic economy, have no status, and no AA-affiliated credit cards. Exactly what are you asking for a strategy on? If you don't want to pay for a bag, I believe your options are either to not check any or buy a higher fare class.

If you have an Amex Platinum card, Amex will refund the fees (up to $200/year) if you select AA as your airline fee credit carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.