Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Donating SWU / eVIPs as prize for charity auction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Donating SWU / eVIPs as prize for charity auction

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PresRDC
This is the only language close to on point in the eVIP terms and conditions on AA.com:

Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades.
There's your answer right there in bold. End of discussion. The upgrades are void if purchased, and bidding on the SWU at a charity auction is "purchasing" the SWU. Doesn't matter that you, the donor, aren't the one selling the SWU.

It's not the contribution of an SWU that's the problem - it's the sale of the SWU by the charity that's the problem.

Many years ago, I asked an AA station manager about the chances of approval for a similar gift to a charity fundraiser (not SWUs), and the response was "forget that, I'll just give your charity two worldwide T award tickets that you can auction." I'm confident that those two tickets brought the organization more revenue than my scheme would have. Today, with SWUs somewhat difficult to clear in advance (to put it mildly) and very difficult to clear late in the game unless the holder has EXP or Plat status, I wouldn't do it even if AA said "go ahead and do it."
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely and explicitly -not- permitted (as shown in the link you post in the OP.) You can donate to anyone/anywhere, but they can not be donated as a prize for a fundraiser.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Regardless of your theorizing, any sale, barter or using an AA instrument such as an award or upgrade as a prize is against AAdvantage terms and conditions.

Unless you get specific approval from AA, you are to some extent risking your account and the travel of the individual you donate the SWU to. The AAdvantage Fraud unit in Corporate Security is quite good at ferreting things like this out. There's a reason why FlyerTalk excludes AA from the Coupon Connection, etc.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
This is a specifically and explicitly disallowed practice.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
There's your answer right there in bold. End of discussion. The upgrades are void if purchased, and bidding on the SWU at a charity auction is "purchasing" the SWU. Doesn't matter that you, the donor, aren't the one selling the SWU.

It's not the contribution of an SWU that's the problem - it's the sale of the SWU by the charity that's the problem.

Many years ago, I asked an AA station manager about the chances of approval for a similar gift to a charity fundraiser (not SWUs), and the response was "forget that, I'll just give your charity two worldwide T award tickets that you can auction." I'm confident that those two tickets brought the organization more revenue than my scheme would have. Today, with SWUs somewhat difficult to clear in advance (to put it mildly) and very difficult to clear late in the game unless the holder has EXP or Plat status, I wouldn't do it even if AA said "go ahead and do it."
3 respected members of our community have opined that this is ... crappy idea.

Does OP really wish to put her/his EXPness at risk for a charity?

Possible solution: When MrsDallas49er and I choose to (charity of our choice(s)), or get roped into, buying a table (for a friend/client/whatever's pet charity) and an "Auction Item", and since we have tons of multiple hotel program points: We auction "2 nights in a suite, in the city of your choice. Planet Earth only.". We usually use pictures of the Danieli, Sheraton Hong Kong, and a St. Regis. It makes for great conversations, and friendships with people we might never have met.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 29, 2016 at 5:54 am
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Appears to be a no-go...

"At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold, advertised for sale or bartered (including but not limited to transferring, gifting, or promising mileage credit or award tickets in exchange for support of a certain business, product or charity and/or participation in an auction, sweepstakes, raffle or contest). Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Violators (including any passenger who uses a purchased or bartered award ticket..."
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
3 respected members of our community have opined that this is ... crappy idea.

Does OP really wish to put her/his EXPness at risk for a charity?

Possible solution: When MrsDallas49er and I choose to (charity of our choice(s)), or get roped into, buying a table (for a friend/client/whatever's pet charity) and an "Auction Item", and since we have tons of multiple hotel program points: We auction "2 nights in a suite, in the city of your choice. Planet Earth only.". We usually use pictures of the Danieli, Sheraton Hong Kong, and a St. Regis. It makes for great conversations, and friendships with people we might never have met.
Yeah if you are suggesting doing something like that with a SWU, good luck. Those craigslist posts on "I'm selling my advice on how to use a SWU for $350 and then I'll give you one for free to try after I teach you how to use it" are still illegal in AA's books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.