FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA / aa.com Losing Known Traveler / KTN# in individual trip issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1784646-aa-aa-com-losing-known-traveler-ktn-individual-trip-issues.html)

controller1 Aug 18, 16 8:38 pm


Originally Posted by txrus (Post 27062236)
. . .

Logged into AA & my KTN# is in my profile, but just for giggles, went into the pax details section of my trip tomorrow & my KTN, which I manually re-enter every time I book, had been x'd out (in checking further, this was the case w/every trip I have coming up, as it turns out).
. . .

If your KTN is in your AA profile, what is the purpose of you manually re-entering the number every time you book? :confused:

JSSAUCE Aug 18, 16 8:45 pm


Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 27086286)
If your KTN is in your AA profile, what is the purpose of you manually re-entering the number every time you book? :confused:

My KTN is in my AA profile, I also book through Concour and it's in their as well. If I check in on I do not receive Pre unless I go into my profile and re-enter. FYI I have taken flights on other airlines and have no issues. No it could be fixed, but I just go in and re-enter to be safe before I check in.

controller1 Aug 18, 16 8:50 pm


Originally Posted by JSSAUCE (Post 27086309)
My KTN is in my AA profile, I also book through Concour and it's in their as well. If I check in on I do not receive Pre unless I go into my profile and re-enter. FYI I have taken flights on other airlines and have no issues. No it could be fixed, but I just go in and re-enter to be safe before I check in.

But OP states flights are all booked on AA.com. I also book all my flights on AA.com. Since receiving my KTN 18 months ago and entering it on my AA profile, I have received Pre-check 100% of the time and I have never manually entered my KTN when booking a reservation.



Originally Posted by txrus (Post 27063855)
All booked on AA.com directly-been years since I booked a ticket anywhere else.
. . .


Danwriter Oct 13, 16 7:23 am

This:
"We noticed a mismatch that may prevent you from getting TSA PreCheck on your trip."
...showed up today.
It also advises me to " Go to www.dhs.gov/tt, choose your Trusted Traveler program and log in." However, there is no log-in link on the page. I called TSA's press office and was told that this was a mass mailing by American, and that they'd (TSA) gotten a number of calls on it. She said everything's likely fine. I checked my pax info on the flight for tomorrow and all of it was correct. The KTN was XXXX-ed, as others on this thread have reported, which is as it should be. I called AA and the CSR confirmed that others have called about the email, and that they had also expressed frustration about no obvious (we may all be missing it somehow) log-in link on the TSA page. Since all looks good otherwise, the the thing to do is check my e-boarding pass tonight after OLCI for tomorrow's flight.

Updated after OLCI: No PreCheck symbol on BP. AA CSR says they've been hearing about it today. All my correct info is in my profile.

JDiver Oct 13, 16 8:37 am

There are times a KTN may not carry over when a ticket is handled. I hope we get more reports here to determine when those times are. SDFC? Etc.

thetaxman Oct 13, 16 9:49 am

It's been continuously disappearing for a few weeks now. All tickets booked through AA.com.

Always get to the airport and ask them to re-enter - works nearly every time and the boarding pass re-print will have the Pre-Check wording. I also got the email referred to above.

Danwriter Oct 13, 16 5:43 pm

This sheds some light on the problem:

http://wtop.com/travel/2016/06/no-ts...-might-be-why/

and puts the blame squarely on AA's shoulders:
"American Airlines has taken the unusual step of vetting all passengers with a known traveler number in their AAdvantage frequent flier profile or reservation through TSA databases 72 hours prior to departure. If those travelers aren’t granted PreCheck in the test run, American sends them an email notifying them of the mismatch and to double check the information."

It's apparently something none of the other carirers are doing. It disrupts a systems that seems to working fine otherwise and creates problems for pax.


Heard back from TSA this morning. They helpfully sent me a link to enroll in PreCheck.

Danwriter Oct 14, 16 12:03 pm

Heard back from TSA via Twitter, and tis sheds even more light:

"---great news! We were just informed that the issues with TSA Pre✓ on Trans State Airlines flights through American Airlines has been resolved. Please reprint your boarding pass to receive the TSA Pre✓ indicator. Let us know if you have any questions. Safe travels!"

It appears to be a contract-carrier issue. Another fun way to spend a few hours.

AANYC1981 Oct 14, 16 12:10 pm


Originally Posted by Danwriter (Post 27346509)
Heard back from TSA via Twitter, and tis sheds even more light:

"---great news! We were just informed that the issues with TSA Pre✓ on Trans State Airlines flights through American Airlines has been resolved. Please reprint your boarding pass to receive the TSA Pre✓ indicator. Let us know if you have any questions. Safe travels!"

It appears to be a contract-carrier issue. Another fun way to spend a few hours.

Yep I had the same issue and got that e-mail from AA when flying Trans State.....TSA confirmed via Twitter there was nothing wrong with my KTN.

danohio Oct 14, 16 12:11 pm


Originally Posted by Danwriter (Post 27346509)
Heard back from TSA via Twitter, and tis sheds even more light:

"---great news! We were just informed that the issues with TSA Pre✓ on Trans State Airlines flights through American Airlines has been resolved. Please reprint your boarding pass to receive the TSA Pre✓ indicator. Let us know if you have any questions. Safe travels!"

It appears to be a contract-carrier issue. Another fun way to spend a few hours.

That explains why I missed for the first time in 3 years on two Trans States flights this week.

Danwriter Oct 15, 16 10:05 am

And more...
 
Just to wrap up the experience that I first reported two days ago, after @AskTSA determined that the problem lay with Trans States:

After AskTSA notified me that they had found and corrected the AE/AA problem, I then re-generated my BP through the AA app and the PreCheck symbol was visible. When I got to the LGA AC, I showed the Twitter responses to the front desk. Not only had they been fielding inquiries about it, but several other flyers at the desk also reported their similar experiences. No reports of issues from those on AE contract carriers other than Trans States.

The problem seems to have been (and perhaps still is) an IT issue between TS and AA. Not surprising, considering the ongoing post-meger IT reconciliation and other problems it has spawned (many of which have been experienced on the AA website). But it suggests that more unseen IT landmines may await. And I was happily surprised that a) this wasn't a TSA-rooted problem and b) that TSA's Twitter team was reponsive and accurate, the exact opposite of AA.

estnet Sep 6, 19 7:56 pm

AA deleted my known traveler number - nobody know how!
 
Recently flew USA - EUROPE, no problem, pre- check on boarding pass. Return 2 weeks later - get SSSS - weird I think, but "oh well", global entry asks which flight I was on - never happened so I ask if my known number is not in my record - agent says he "can't say". So I notice no pre check on my connection, go to AA agent who says number is not in my account and she can't see it if it's in my profile - well it's been there for years....
While I'm looking it up for her to enter she somehow miraculously finds it and reprints bp which now shows pre-check - but no one can tell me how it ever got deleted in the first place.
Does anyone have a clue?

Dr. HFH Sep 6, 19 8:40 pm


Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31499255)
Recently flew USA - EUROPE, no problem, pre- check on boarding pass. Return 2 weeks later - get SSSS - weird I think, but "oh well", global entry asks which flight I was on - never happened so I ask if my known number is not in my record - agent says he "can't say". So I notice no pre check on my connection, go to AA agent who says number is not in my account and she can't see it if it's in my profile - well it's been there for years....
While I'm looking it up for her to enter she somehow miraculously finds it and reprints bp which now shows pre-check - but no one can tell me how it ever got deleted in the first place.
Does anyone have a clue?

I think that your thread title is unfair. It implies that AA did something with the purpose of deleting your number; and you have no information to that effect. Wait until you find out what happened before you assign blame.

JJeffrey Sep 6, 19 8:43 pm

$ hit happens.

freeagent Sep 6, 19 8:45 pm

Global Entry doesn't exempt you from getting SSSS or a second look from CBP, its happened to me a few times. Sometimes reentering your KTN fixes the issues with getting TSA Pre, but I think this was more of an IT glitch then someone maliciously deleting your number.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:56 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.