Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / aa.com Losing Known Traveler / KTN# in individual trip issues

Old Jul 8, 15, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA

Anyone else have this problem, or an idea for a solution?

Purchased ticket. Logged into AA.com to add my KTN and phone number, hit 'SAVE', log out. Subsequently, I logged back in and both the numbers are missing from their respective fields. Tried this several times and it keeps happening.

I know this isn't a tech support site, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this before? Is this an issue with the settings on my computer, or an AA interface problem?

thanks,

keith
Old Jul 8, 15, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
This may or may not apply but here's a possibility:

I recently tried to change something in my aa.com profile. It wasn't "sticking" then I realized that the system wanted me to answer secret questions before saving anything.

Go back and try it again. Be sure to check if there is an error message indicating that you need to answer secret questions.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 9, 15, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
That did it.

You are a genius.

As for me...

Sorry for that 5 seconds of everyone's life....
Old Jul 9, 15, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven View Post
That did it.

You are a genius.

As for me...

Sorry for that 5 seconds of everyone's life....
I'm glad that helped!

Genius? Ha! Not so much!

But thanks for the recognition. I'm happy to have helped a fellow traveler.
robertablake likes this.
Old Aug 14, 16, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
AA Losing KTN# in individual trip

Good morning,

Got up this morning to find the following e-mail from AA:

We know TSA PreCheck is important to you. We noticed a mismatch that may prevent you from getting TSA PreCheck on your trip. Here’s what to do before you check in: Go to www.dhs.gov/tt, choose your Trusted Traveler program and log in. Verify your known traveler number, and the name, date of birth and gender in your Trusted Traveler program account. Next, go to www.aa.com/trips log in, find your upcoming trip and ‘Add/edit passenger information.’ Your known traveler number should begin with 98 or TT and end with 7 letters/numbers. Double check that the letters/numbers are correct and in the right order. Also, check that the name, date of birth and gender match exactly with the information in your Trusted Traveler program account. If you booked on another site or with a travel agent, please contact them to verify your passenger details and known traveler number. Thank you for choosing American Airlines. We look forward to seeing you onboard.

Logged into TSA PC & everything is fine-they still know me & I'm still approved.

Logged into AA & my KTN# is in my profile, but just for giggles, went into the pax details section of my trip tomorrow & my KTN, which I manually re-enter every time I book, had been x'd out (in checking further, this was the case w/every trip I have coming up, as it turns out). Manually re-entered it, again, & got the 'Success! Your changes have been saved'. Except, it turns out, they weren't when I looked a few minutes later-the number was x'd out again.

Anyone else get this e-mail or notice this in your individual trip records?
Old Aug 14, 16, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Are the Xs just AA.com's way of hiding the number which may still be there? I have seen other systems do that with information like social security number. Just a thought.
Old Aug 14, 16, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I just checked my upcoming trips and my aa.com profile. My KTN is NOT X'd out. Seems like an issue.

Suggest you access your aa.com profile and update it there. And then update your upcoming reservations. The profile drives your future reservations. The Xs in the profile is the problem....
Old Aug 14, 16, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post
I just checked my upcoming trips and my aa.com profile. My KTN is NOT X'd out. Seems like an issue.

Suggest you access your aa.com profile and update it there. And then update your upcoming reservations. The profile drives your future reservations. The Xs in the profile is the problem....
It's fine in my profile-not x'd out. It's the pax info in the individual reservation where it is x'd out.
Old Aug 14, 16, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by txrus View Post
It's fine in my profile-not x'd out. It's the pax info in the individual reservation where it is x'd out.
For my upcoming flights, the "passenger information" for those flights does not have the KTN x'd.
Old Aug 14, 16, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I checked and mine are not X'd out on the actual reservation. Hence I think that's the problem. Do you book directly with AA or aa.com?

I'd go back to the source of your booking and make sure your KTN is properly typed in there. Back in the day when I had to use Orbitz for Business, they admitted to having a problem sending KTNs to AA (cutting off the last digit). They eventually fixed it but until they did I had to update them manually on aa.com after the booking had been ticketed.
Old Aug 14, 16, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post
I checked and mine are not X'd out on the actual reservation. Hence I think that's the problem. Do you book directly with AA or aa.com?

I'd go back to the source of your booking and make sure your KTN is properly typed in there. Back in the day when I had to use Orbitz for Business, they admitted to having a problem sending KTNs to AA (cutting off the last digit). They eventually fixed it but until they did I had to update them manually on aa.com after the booking had been ticketed.
All booked on AA.com directly-been years since I booked a ticket anywhere else.

Called the EXP desk & 'Elaine' said she is also seeing it x'd out & cannot get it to stick when she enters it manually.
Old Aug 14, 16, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 2MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Good morning,

Got up this morning to find the following e-mail from AA:

We know TSA PreCheck is important to you. We noticed a mismatch that may prevent you from getting TSA PreCheck on your trip. Here’s what to do before you check in: Go to www.dhs.gov/tt, choose your Trusted Traveler program and log in. Verify your known traveler number, and the name, date of birth and gender in your Trusted Traveler program account. Next, go to www.aa.com/trips log in, find your upcoming trip and ‘Add/edit passenger information.’ Your known traveler number should begin with 98 or TT and end with 7 letters/numbers. Double check that the letters/numbers are correct and in the right order. Also, check that the name, date of birth and gender match exactly with the information in your Trusted Traveler program account. If you booked on another site or with a travel agent, please contact them to verify your passenger details and known traveler number. Thank you for choosing American Airlines. We look forward to seeing you onboard.

Logged into TSA PC & everything is fine-they still know me & I'm still approved.

Logged into AA & my KTN# is in my profile, but just for giggles, went into the pax details section of my trip tomorrow & my KTN, which I manually re-enter every time I book, had been x'd out (in checking further, this was the case w/every trip I have coming up, as it turns out). Manually re-entered it, again, & got the 'Success! Your changes have been saved'. Except, it turns out, they weren't when I looked a few minutes later-the number was x'd out again.

Anyone else get this e-mail or notice this in your individual trip records?

I received this email for the first time last week. All is good on the TSA profile side, same as you, but always an issue in my AA passenger details for every trip.

What I do, and it's a bit of a pain, is directly prior to me checking in on the AA App, I login to aa.com, go to the trip, and click on the add/edit passenger details, then take out the KTN and re- enter it, save, the Checkin. The number is typically all xxxxxxxxx or ****xxxxx, this exact format, 1 time my actual KTNnwas there. I can recall 3 times this year I did not do this and did not receive pre, I needed to have the counter re-do, add mt KTN, and reprint, so I always do it now. Not the worst thing to happen, but I do need to do this 3-4 times a week!

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 14, 16, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE View Post
I received this email for the first time last week. All is good on the TSA profile side, same as you, but always an issue in my AA passenger details for every trip.

What I do, and it's a bit of a pain, is directly prior to me checking in on the AA App, I login to aa.com, go to the trip, and click on the add/edit passenger details, then take out the KTN and re- enter it, save, the Checkin. The number is typically all xxxxxxxxx or ****xxxxx, this exact format, 1 time my actual KTNnwas there. I can recall 3 times this year I did not do this and did not receive pre, I needed to have the counter re-do, add mt KTN, and reprint, so I always do it now. Not the worst thing to happen, but I do need to do this 3-4 times a week!

Hope this helps.
You shouldn't have to do this even 1/week, never mind 3-4 times/week. It confirms my suspicion that this is AA's problem, not yours or mine.

I also wonder if their outsourcing of their entire web services dept to Asia has anything to do w/this? Also noticed today that when doing the on-line Contact AA, none of my personal info is coming up to prefill the contact info, even though I am logged in.
Old Aug 18, 16, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I never bothered to get a KTN, but usually get Pre-Check through EXP. I just checked my international flights a week from now and on Labor Day and the reservation KTN boxes are full of Xs...
Old Aug 18, 16, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA SLV, DL SLV, MR PLT
In each individual reservation of mine It'll show my KTN as X'd out with the exception of the last 4 digits. In my traveler profile it shows my full KTN.

I have not had a problem receiving Pre-Check as a result of this. This has been occurring for at least a month on my reservations. I figure its just a security measure to protect sensitive information.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: