Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Fleet: Retrofit / CIP of Legacy US A320 interiors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Fleet: Legacy US Airways Airbus A320 - CIP / Cabin Improvement Program
NOTE: The LUS A319 CIP / refurbishment project is over and best discussed here: AA Fleet: LUS A319 CIP; F 12 to 8, adding MCE - in progress (master thd)

A few posts may have been moved there.

NOTE: now that the A321 “ceo” (conventional engine option) fleet will be reconfigured 174-22 to match the arriving A321neo, the current thread is

See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

The A321neo thread is A321neo densified arrives 1/2019. All 321s to follow densification start 2/19.
Print Wikipost

AA Fleet: Retrofit / CIP of Legacy US A320 interiors?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:46 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Longboater
Ok rant over....
It is a valid one!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA
LUS A321 retrofit begins July, and will match LAA A321 in layout (including MCE etc) - all will be the same except NO universal power outlets / chargers and AVOD on LUS A321.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
You've got to be kidding about not even having power installed.....I find this hard to believe.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Commonzing seat counts and layout by cabin is useful to AA: no passengers to bump, or to relocate in the event of aircraft sub. Ability to collect $ for MCE. Not having AVOD and power on so many aircraft that are likely to be in the fleet a long time is an unfortunate choice, however.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
LUS A321 retrofit begins July, and will match LAA A321 in layout (including MCE etc) - all will be the same except NO universal power outlets / chargers and AVOD on LUS A321.
Interesting (and disappointing about power, if true). What's your source on this?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Interesting (and disappointing about power, if true). What's your source on this?
AA. Sorry I can't be less vague. Trust me, we passengers are not the only disappointed people. Lack of power and AVOD is especially disappointing for the transcons that most people forget are transcons (like CLT-SEA etc).
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
How did AA justify adding power to the A319 but not the A321? Once the fleets are combined the A321 is going to become an airplane to avoid if I can't even at least have a guarantee of power.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
How did AA justify adding power to the A319 but not the A321? Once the fleets are combined the A321 is going to become an airplane to avoid if I can't even at least have a guarantee of power.
This only makes sense if all they are planning to do is take out one row of Y seats to make an MCE section (and not installing new seats). LAA 321s have 181 seats total; LUS have 187.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Fwiw, I typically bring my own power now, in the form of a "battery box" for my laptop, and an Anker charger for my phone and tablet. It's a relatively low investment to avoid the uncertainty of being without power. The reason I bring both is that the Anker is much smaller and very easy to carry with your phone, and I also prefer saving all of the battery box power for the laptop.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Fanjet
This only makes sense if all they are planning to do is take out one row of Y seats to make an MCE section (and not installing new seats). LAA 321s have 181 seats total; LUS have 187.
I could see that happening, although it is a little disappointing. While I would love to see AVOD and power fleet wide, IMO, MCE is even more important, so this is still a plus in my book. From AA's perspective I can kinda understand this, at least for the newer LUS 321s. The older ones really need a full refurb and should get at least power, (with AVOD being a huge plus). However some of the newer LUS deliveries are as new as 2015, I can understand why AA wouldn't rip out seats on a plane that less than a year or two old just to make it look the same as the LAA 321s, really doesn't make much business sense. Adding MCE, yes, but that is an easy change in comparison to replacing all of the seats on a new plane just to get power and maybe AVOD. I don't like it, but I can completely understand.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm skeptical, given that AA has made no announcements about its plans to reconfigure the LUS A321s. With the A319s, AA provided several months' notice and detailed the planned reconfiguration. Further, I'm skeptical that the reconfiguration would begin in July - the A319 CIP began in October, and are projected to be completed in a few weeks. I'd bet that the same timetable is used for the A321s.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
You've got to be kidding about not even having power installed.....I find this hard to believe.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Commonzing seat counts and layout by cabin is useful to AA: no passengers to bump, or to relocate in the event of aircraft sub. Ability to collect $ for MCE. Not having AVOD and power on so many aircraft that are likely to be in the fleet a long time is an unfortunate choice, however.
AA. Sorry I can't be less vague. Trust me, we passengers are not the only disappointed people. Lack of power and AVOD is especially disappointing for the transcons that most people forget are transcons (like CLT-SEA etc).
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
You all need to take a deep breath and re-read DoctorORD's post. Focus on the bolded part. Even assuming that they've provided accurate info (and without any AA announcements, I'm not yet convinced), "Universal power outlets" probably means what it says: USB ports. Without AVOD, it's a given that AA will not be installing the USB ports found on the LAA A321s or A319s that feature AVOD.

Rest assured that the A321 CIP (whenever it's announced and carried out) will include in-seat AC electrical outlets, just like the LUS A319 CIP.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
You all need to take a deep breath and re-read DoctorORD's post. Focus on the bolded part. Even assuming that they've provided accurate info (and without any AA announcements, I'm not yet convinced), "Universal power outlets" probably means what it says: USB ports. Without AVOD, it's a given that AA will not be installing the USB ports found on the LAA A321s or A319s that feature AVOD.

Rest assured that the A321 CIP (whenever it's announced and carried out) will include in-seat AC electrical outlets, just like the LUS A319 CIP.
Universal power outlet is AC power. (The universal just means that it fits several different plugs; US/UK/Europe.)

With that being said, I too am skeptical that they won't be installing them, at least not I till AA announced something.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison
Universal power outlet is AC power. (The universal just means that it fits several different plugs; US/UK/Europe.)

With that being said, I too am skeptical that they won't be installing them, at least not I till AA announced something.
I'd like to think that the oldest 321s get new seats anyway (aren't the 319s pretty much the same age as the oldest 321s?), but I could see them re-pitching the existing seats on the late-model 321s. I'm assuming there is some sort of age/cycle limit on aircraft seats?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Djokison
...With that being said, I too am skeptical that they won't be installing them, at least not I till AA announced something.
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm skeptical, given that AA has made no announcements about its plans to reconfigure the LUS A321s
The skepticism is well-founded, the rumor is false.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The complaining when inferior LUS metal moves into major LAA markets/trips flown by LAA APFA bases will make the complaints from March 2009 when trashy NW aircraft and crews moved onto PM-DL LGA/SLC flights look like a picnic. As awful as NW was (not that DL is or ever was particularly high benchmark) USAIR in many ways is worse. Sure was fun seeing LUS elites on an LAA BOS operated 73A AA 192 trip with the enhanced service, AVOD, modern aircraft that are all novel concepts at USAIR.

Last edited by AAerSTL; Apr 20, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.