Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josmul123
I like to play lawyer on the Internet sometimes, but this time I want to play devil's advocate.

Does the fact that you're in a secure airport area where "All items are subject to search" play into this at all?
No. That goes to the Fourth Amendment, which relates to state actors, only.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
I always use my own. Not sure if they clean those things. Yuk.
They don't, I run Lysol wipes over them and they always come off dirty. Ewwww.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by phil_flyer
They don't, I run Lysol wipes over them and they always come off dirty. Ewwww.
I don't think they're even offloaded from the aircraft at most (all?) outstations, which means they're used immediately on the return flight without being sanitized. I'm not sure what kind of cleaning process occurs once they make it make to the U.S. Another reason to Bring Your Own Bose (BYOB).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Update.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Looks like the flight departed nearly on time -- was the item found? Keep us posted after you land!
Sorry for the delay.in updating

Have no idea whether it turned up or not. Flight left on time but had an additional announcement by the captain/ first officer after takeoff.

A bit of overkill ? Personally I felt a little stressed as I had a reasonably tight domestic connection at LAX. Last thing I needed before a 13 hr flight.

Perhaps AA can close the cupboard , or better still plug the frigging things in. I hate the positioning of the plug where you have to do it by feel. Anyone trying to steal them would have a harder time .
Suspect it would be pretty time consuming for a FA, but in terms of stopping a plane load of people from wondering/ stressing it may be worth it.....
BTW I thought the headsets were pretty mediocre, but I am sure there are many manhours of reading in other threads.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I don't think they're even offloaded from the aircraft at most (all?) outstations, which means they're used immediately on the return flight without being sanitized. I'm not sure what kind of cleaning process occurs once they make it make to the U.S. Another reason to Bring Your Own Bose (BYOB).

-FlyerBeek
They're either offloaded at larger stations and replaced, or commonly the flight is sent out with the on board amenities loaded on the plane in cargo. ie pillows/blankets/amenity kits/headsets. They then unload and setup the flight using the provided amenities.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by flyerCO
commonly the flight is sent out with the on board amenities loaded on the plane in cargo. ie pillows/blankets/amenity kits/headsets. They then unload and setup the flight using the provided amenities.
I know that's the case with blankets, pillows, etc. (items that definitely need to be cleaned before reuse). I get the sense the Bose headseats are simply kept locked in the carts topside and used again on the return flight?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Speaking of Bose headsets...

Was on a MUC-PHL flight today and the FA came by and collected the headsets 90 minutes out. When I told her I was still watching a movie, she went and found me one of the crappy little in ear headsets. And acted put out by the whole thing. Not pleased.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I was on a flight from ICN-DFW last Sunday and about halfway during the flight I noticed that there were no headphones at my seat. It wasnt a problem just assumed they handed them out instead of leaving them at the seat, I always use my own so no big deal....yeah right! When it came time to collecting the the FA swears she left a pair for everyone, well, nothing here my friend. She said she would come back if missing a pair, of course she ended up missing a pair. She said she left them in the little pocket where they put the amenity kit and slippers but nothing and not sure how it would fit in there anyways. Why not leave them out on the console like most other flights? At any rate, she kept quizzing me about if I was sure if I didnt see them. I am sure I didnt see them. At any rate she spent about 15-20 minutes looking all through my seat, under it and with a flashlight etc. They then did the announcement routine that we have all heard before and mentioned here, nothing was turned in.

I still dont see what is so difficult about this. Do they do their own count at the beginning of a flight or do they get a count of headphones and assume it is right? Unless someone lifted a pair then not sure what would have happened to the missing pair. Just find the whole thing comical and amateurish to be honest.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The issue I had the other week on a TATL wasn't the head phones going missing but the case!

The FA left the phones hanging from the seat and said he'd come back. I check the floor space etc but no luck.

What had happened is, and I have no idea how it happened, when I was changing the seat settings the case ended up falling behind the seat - likely having been crushed slightly - there were a couple of indentations in it.

Why they put them in the pocket they did I don't know as the case didn't fit into it.

But is is ridiculous when you offer gate to gate IFE is to collect the head phones so far in advance of the flight ending.

But on a TCON last year the FA came and handed the phones to each passenger and retained the case themselves.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The issue I had the other week on a TATL wasn't the head phones going missing but the case!

The FA left the phones hanging from the seat and said he'd come back. I check the floor space etc but no luck.

What had happened is, and I have no idea how it happened, when I was changing the seat settings the case ended up falling behind the seat - likely having been crushed slightly - there were a couple of indentations in it.

Why they put them in the pocket they did I don't know as the case didn't fit into it.

But is is ridiculous when you offer gate to gate IFE is to collect the head phones so far in advance of the flight ending.

But on a TCON last year the FA came and handed the phones to each passenger and retained the case themselves.
Same on my MIA-LAX 777 flight. The nice Russian purser came around and handed them out individually. (I've flown this route a couple of times and i love it when i get him) Then came back around 45 mins prior to landing and apologized that AA made him collect these so early. From talking with him even FA think the way they're made to handle these are ridiculous.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe slightly OT but on a recent Finnair flight I look (HEL-SIN), the cabin crew didn't even collect the Bose headphones! I just left them on the seat when I deplaned. Why can't AA be more like this?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by muishkin
Maybe slightly OT but on a recent Finnair flight I look (HEL-SIN), the cabin crew didn't even collect the Bose headphones! I just left them on the seat when I deplaned. Why can't AA be more like this?
Lots of other carriers manage to do this without Bose replacements for lost/stolen headphones becoming a major budget item for them. No idea why AA can't.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
There is no way a FA is looking in my bag. NO WAY!

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 22, 2017 at 11:16 am Reason: Terminology
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Lots of other carriers manage to do this without Bose replacements for lost/stolen headphones becoming a major budget item for them. No idea why AA can't.
I hate to say it, but I wonder how much was the idea that they're going to go missing vs any actually going missong. AA probably thought the masses flying their planes and employees would steal thousands of headsets.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I hate to say it, but I wonder how much was the idea that they're going to go missing vs any actually going missong. AA probably thought the masses flying their planes and employees would steal thousands of headsets.
Can definitely see that as a possible mindset. Not sure why they would think that someone would pay thousands for a business class seat and lift a USED pair of headphones that can be had for $150 or less on eBay though....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.