Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too tight? Fort Lauderdale to MIA gate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
Too tight? Fort Lauderdale to MIA gate

Bad idea, but maybe you can leave a bit earlier.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
It is not going to happen.

That car trip is 40 minutes under the best of circumstances. Then add security time at MIA and a probable LONG walk to the gate. No way you will arrive by 1:45 (15 mins before flight).

This doesn't even factor in the risk your flight departs from the remote E terminal and you need to take the shuttle bus to get there.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you checked departure times on the FLL-LAX nonstops offered by JetBlue, Virgin America, and Spirit?
Spirit on that route would be torture (anything over 1.5 hours isn't good). B6 would probably be the best bet considering frequency and quality. DL could also be an option?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Location: ORD; AA Exec Plat (MM), SPG Plat (Lifetime Plt), other minor status
Definitely not flying Spirit. Virgin/Jet Blue flight times don't work. A connection anywhere (DFW/ATL/IAH etc.) doesn't really work either. It's a combo work/leisure trip, so while I'm not overly price sensitive, I can't be piggish, especially since it's for a conference and not revenue-generating client work.

The 3:25pm is fairly open for tomorrow yet, though I know that may or may not be representative of the date I'm traveling.

I think I've settled on booking the later flight that I should have no troubles making (now watch my Uber break down on the highway) but planning on hustling to the airport in case I can fly standby. Seems safer than missing the 2pm and trying to invoke the flat tire rule to get on the 3:25 or having to pay a good-sized change fee/fare diff. Seems likely while I could very well make the 2pm, as people have pointed out, everything has to come up Milhouse for that to happen.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by flying junkie
Definitely not flying Spirit. Virgin/Jet Blue flight times don't work. A connection anywhere (DFW/ATL/IAH etc.) doesn't really work either. It's a combo work/leisure trip, so while I'm not overly price sensitive, I can't be piggish, especially since it's for a conference and not revenue-generating client work.

The 3:25pm is fairly open for tomorrow yet, though I know that may or may not be representative of the date I'm traveling.

I think I've settled on booking the later flight that I should have no troubles making (now watch my Uber break down on the highway) but planning on hustling to the airport in case I can fly standby. Seems safer than missing the 2pm and trying to invoke the flat tire rule to get on the 3:25 or having to pay a good-sized change fee/fare diff. Seems likely while I could very well make the 2pm, as people have pointed out, everything has to come up Milhouse for that to happen.
I've never flown Spirit, but if they have a "Big Front Seat" available on a well-timed FLL-LAX nonstop, that sounds like it could be a reasonable alternative. Video review here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lSw5sV1Ch_I
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by flying junkie

What airline?

FWIW - AA no longer considers FLL/MIA co-terminals so standby on AA no longer possible.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"AA no longer considers FLL/MIA co-terminals"

Source?

In any event, I think the OP was going to purchase a MIA-LAX flight on AA, and attempt to stand by for an earlier MIA-LAX flight on AA, if he got to MIA in time.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:26 pm

"AA no longer considers FLL/MIA co-terminals"

Source?

In any event, I think the OP was going to purchase a MIA-LAX flight on AA, and attempt to stand by for an earlier MIA-LAX flight on AA, if he got to MIA in time.
AA. (sorry I dont have the specific reference.)

I live down here and fly out all the time - happened shortly after the merger.

If you are correct - buy and standby - this discussion is more academic... OP has at least the later flight.

I think we all agree it is doable, but is also hit and miss, more miss on a Friday afternoon. (And today - Zero chance as there are storms all around.)

------------------------------------
Here is an article from USAToday

http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/07...ess-travelers/

“Customers using Same-Day Flight Change may only change to earlier or later flights that have the same routing, number of connections, and cannot change to a co-terminal in a multi city airport” (translation: customers must travel through the same hub city — tough luck if your airport only has one flight through a specific hub airport — and fliers must fly to the same airport, even if they are flying to a city with multiple airports, like New York or D.C. Changes between different airports in the same city are not allowed).

I am pretty sure it is no longer a co-terminal as well, but could not find that. (Maybe I was told that because I was trying to standby.)

Last edited by Global321; Jan 22, 2016 at 12:37 pm Reason: Updated with Co-terminals Rules on Standby
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by 110pgl
AA. (sorry I dont have the specific reference.)

I live down here and fly out all the time - happened shortly after the merger.

If you are correct - buy and standby - this discussion is more academic... OP has at least the later flight.

I think we all agree it is doable, but is also hit and miss, more miss on a Friday afternoon. (And today - Zero chance as there are storms all around.)

------------------------------------
Here is an article from USAToday

http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/07...ess-travelers/

“Customers using Same-Day Flight Change may only change to earlier or later flights that have the same routing, number of connections, and cannot change to a co-terminal in a multi city airport” (translation: customers must travel through the same hub city — tough luck if your airport only has one flight through a specific hub airport — and fliers must fly to the same airport, even if they are flying to a city with multiple airports, like New York or D.C. Changes between different airports in the same city are not allowed).

I am pretty sure it is no longer a co-terminal as well, but could not find that. (Maybe I was told that because I was trying to standby.)

FWIW I was told a few months back by PIT AC Staff (that called reservations for me) that FLL and MIA were no co-terminals. I was trying to go standby back to MIA from CLT instead of to FLL.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
That is if TSA PreCheck is even open! My last trip connecting in Miami was a couple weeks ago and security was a nightmare and TSA was closed. It took over 30 minutes to get through security.... Miami is the worst airport IMHO !!

P.S. AA also changed the gate for my flight 2 times! From one end of the terminal and then back. LOL
There is 24-hour Pre✓ available at Checkpoint 2, which is in front of the Starbucks.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
FWIW I was told a few months back by PIT AC Staff (that called reservations for me) that FLL and MIA were no co-terminals. I was trying to go standby back to MIA from CLT instead of to FLL.
I can confirm that MIA and FLL are not coterminals for standby purposes nor will the system allow standby from the other airport without requiring a reissue, but that was also the case pre-merger.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FLL and MIA are AA co-terminals:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/ag...dom-coterm.jsp

But just because two airports are co-terminals does not mean that AA has to allow standby travel to or from an airport that is a co-terminal of the airport that appears on one's ticket.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:30 am

But just because two airports are co-terminals does not mean that AA has to allow standby travel to or from an airport that is a co-terminal of the airport that appears on one's ticket.
Yes, as many before you stated, they are 'co-terminals' by AA rules. But to what end? If you cannot go standby to either, then the definition becomes somewhat useless.

You can fly into and out of any two airports you want. The price is the price.
In the case of irregular ops, you can fly into any airport in the area, including PBI. (At least that has been my experience.)

So unless - in the very rare case - you really want to book a 'roundtrip' from FLL and return to MIA (or vice versa), the AA definition of 'co-terminals' seems a bit arbitrary.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 110pgl

Yes, as many before you stated, they are 'co-terminals' by AA rules. But to what end? If you cannot go standby to either, then the definition becomes somewhat useless.

You can fly into and out of any two airports you want. The price is the price.
In the case of irregular ops, you can fly into any airport in the area, including PBI. (At least that has been my experience.)

So unless - in the very rare case - you really want to book a 'roundtrip' from FLL and return to MIA (or vice versa), the AA definition of 'co-terminals' seems a bit arbitrary.
Where permitted by fare rules, co-terminals permit one to connect between two different airports in the same area (SNA/LAX, FLL/MIA, LGA/EWR). This can be important when a low-fare "bucket" -- or a SAAver award seat -- is only available into one co-terminal, but out of a different one.

It has nothing to do with the definition of a co-terminal being "arbitrary"; it's just that AA co-terminals have more limited uses today than they did previously.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
Hope op's flight gets out... Not the weekend to fly with the northeast storm.

With all the bridge works going on in Lauderdale, I wouldn't try to leave the Ritz at 12:30 and make a 2:00 flight... It could take 30 minutes to just get to I-95 from Lauderdale beach... Then add an additional 30 minutes under best case scenario (clear express lanes moving at 80mph) to arrive at the airport.

Then security at Mia (hit or miss...sometimes five minutes, sometimes 25 minutes), then walk to gate... Too tight for me...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Your problem is the bridge work as the last poster stated. At that time schools will be getting out and your exit points from the beach area are going to get choked.

I commute to FLL often and leave on Fridays to FLL and MIA. If you're already on 95 in FLL (Sunrise or Davie exits) you would most likely be ok. If you can solve the following problems you shouldn't have a problem:

1. Being at beach at 12.30 vs. closer to I95 by 12.30 (maybe leave 15 mins earlier?)
2. Driving yourself vs. cab (the 777 cabs are NEVER going to go faster for you), but driving yourself kills you in car returns (get an uber)
3. Must take express lanes
4. Have to get lucky with gates- if you have a mid 20s gate at MIA you're in luck, if you have something single digits or that starts with a 4 or 5, add another 10 mins.

Just as a heads up, FLL is no walk in the part Friday afternoon either. I've actually found MIA to be a better run operation in terms of timely arrivals/departures.

In some cases where I thought I was going to miss my FLL flight, I would keep driving down I95 to MIA, return the car, get to terminal, and be near my MIA gate about 15 mins after my FLL flight departure time, only to find that the FLL flight has been delayed by 30+ mins. It happens all the time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.