FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Expiring (29 Feb 2016) SWU / VIP giveaway thread [PLEASE READ WIKI!] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1738076-expiring-29-feb-2016-swu-vip-giveaway-thread-please-read-wiki.html)

Microwave Jan 11, 2016 2:37 am

Expiring (29 Feb 2016) SWU / VIP giveaway thread [PLEASE READ WIKI!]

As in past years, we often have very generous members of our community give away expiring systemwide upgrades. A reminder that upgrades will generally only be confirmed for flights on/before the 29 Feb expiry (in the past, upgrades could sometimes be applied to flights post-expiration date as long as it could be confirmed, however AA has recently become more strict–see this thread for more information:
FAQ: New changes 90%+ eliminate post-expiration SWU use (Jun 2014)

Familiarise yourself with the ground rules in the locked wiki. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be removed without notice to the poster. This thread will be archived shortly after 1 March 2016. If anything in the rules of this thread is unclear, please contact moderators privately.

~AAdvantage forum moderators

POAflyer Jan 11, 2016 4:53 am

One question: the thread title says Feb 29 but the wiki and the message itself both say Feb 28. I would assume the real expiration is Feb 29, but can someone confirm?

I have a MR scheduled to leave on the 28 and coming back on the 29, hence the question. :D

Microwave Jan 11, 2016 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Carlos Lopes (Post 25998367)
One question: the thread title says Feb 29 but the wiki and the message itself both say Feb 28. I would assume the real expiration is Feb 29, but can someone confirm?

I have a MR scheduled to leave on the 28 and coming back on the 29, hence the question. :D

Proof that it doesn't matter how many times I proofread, I still leave in mistakes... :) Wiki and OP have been fixed–SWUs expiring this year expire on the 29th.

~Moderator

jemctag Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm

What to do with swu's???

2 expiring on 2/29. Not for sale. However, be glad to provide them to FT'ers who might be able to use them. Pm me if interested. Best reason why using them wins.

andyr Jan 26, 2016 4:00 pm

<redacted>

I have two more to go that are expiring on 2/29/16 and am waitlisted on 1/30 and 2/3, I may have a different opinion after that!

Edited to add: <redacted> if my flights don't clear, I probably will offer them up, but please don't PM as I don't have any available at this point.

Edited again: So, between the merging of the original thread with this thread, and the removal of the quoted post, my message makes no sense. I was responding to a comment on the general SWU state of play, which made sense when the message was in a thread that wasn't the "SWU giveaway" thread, but it got merged. Anyway, my flights both cleared (LAX/LHR and LHR/JFK), and so I have no expiring SWUs to offer up. Sorry (kind of).

JDiver Jan 26, 2016 4:04 pm

I used all of my expiring SWU up, and have already had two new ones and two BXP upgrades granted. No complaints here other than earning cut in half unless I earn another 50,000 EQM. Not likely this year.

jemctag Jan 27, 2016 9:59 am

Update

Thanks to all who replied to my post.

I was able to provide and confirm my 2 swu's to a couple returning to their hometown after a major surgery.

Microwave Jan 27, 2016 10:17 am

As a reminder, please post offers of SWUs here, and come back to let us know when they're spoken for. General SWU discussion or discussions about upgrade chances would belong in the appropriate thread for that topic. :) Thanks to everyone who offers!

~Moderator

geepmaley Jan 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26085985)
I used all of my expiring SWU up, and have already had two new ones and two BXP upgrades granted. No complaints here other than earning cut in half unless I earn another 50,000 EQM. Not likely this year.

Whats a BXP upgrade?

JDiver Jan 28, 2016 6:35 pm

What part of "asking for SWUs is not permitted" is hard to understand, exactly?

/Moderator

JDiver Jan 28, 2016 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by geepmaley (Post 26097333)
Whats a BXP upgrade?

BXP- upgrades are from Business Extra. E.g.

BXP3 Upgrade-Between N.America & Europe, S.America,C.America or Asia(except India) (Discount Fares)

Award Code: BXP3

Point Value: 3100

Description: Between North America and Europe, South America, Central America or Asia (except India). One-Way Cabin Upgrade on Discounted Published Fares except those booked in L, O, S, W, V or Q.

Terms and Conditions: One-Way Upgrade on Discounted Published Fares except those listed in the description above.
Upgrades are valid to the next class of service.
Travel must be completed by the expiration date printed on the upgrade certificate.

For all award options, North America includes Canada, Mexico, and the Continental U.S. including Alaska.

Restricted Travel Dates Apply.
Upgrades are subject to seating limitations and capacity controls.

Award travel valid ONLY on American Airlines, American Eagle®.

Award travel is not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Upgrades are valid only with tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock.

Upgrade Awards are paper awards and sent via regular U.S. mail. However, expedited delivery is available for upgrade awards. Simply send an email to [email protected] and provide your FEDEX or UPS account number. Award redemptions are processed twice weekly and your awards will be sent via your preferred method of delivery on the next processing cycle.

geepmaley Jan 29, 2016 8:13 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26098954)
BXP- upgrades are from Business Extra. E.g.

Thanks. Hadn't heard the term before.

tonytifao Feb 5, 2016 4:50 pm

I have one. Please PM

SkyTeam777 Feb 6, 2016 3:33 pm

I am confused...is someone saying that a BXP is available? or just explaining what it is?
@tonytifao, you have a PM, thanks all!

MrJBoy Feb 6, 2016 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by tonytifao (Post 26140214)
I have one. Please PM

@tonytifao You got a PM.

Thank you