FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1725574-aadvantage-changes-2016-discussion-reaction-poll.html)

tonytifao Nov 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by badjuju (Post 25729268)
In other words, they merge airlines just to screw their members over.

1. Subtract 1 month from membership period.
2. Increase segment requirement for EXP
3. Slash SWUs by 50% and fly even more to get the additional 4 SWUs. 200K needed for 8 SWUs
4. Increase sticker requirements by 25%

... all this whilst degrading the product. Thanks AA$$hole$!

I'm with you :)

Originally Posted by badjuju (Post 25729274)
I'm creating a twitter account just for that.

LOL

DWFI Nov 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Oformula (Post 25729221)
But at first glance, still seems slightly better than Delta and United. They did their homework.

Well Delta is on a different level.

The award chart is perhaps marginally cheaper than United. However, United I think makes up for it in not having YQ to Europe, as well as FAR more generous routing rules. AA has painfully restrictive routing rules that cause substantial issues.

I'd say AA and UA award charts are about a wash at this point.

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by prw555 (Post 25729335)
I like the new EQM earning. Just 3 trips to HKG in paid J and at EXP. Given go there every month, and else where also, would be Uber Exec Plat, if only such a program existed :-( Wonder if the "over achieving exec plat" extra SWU program will continue?

If you're flying monthly to HKG in paid J, and other trips elsewhere, I'm sure AA will take care of you (are you CK?).

zabes64 Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

GUTTING of partner EQM earning after Jan 1st

So we all know AA gutted BA earning, but for flights on BA from Jan 1-31, 2016, you will also now earn 50% EQM G, Q, S, N, O, K, L, M, V, H while still earning 100% RDMs.

Nice to see AA giving a full 44 days notice on that gutting.

Alaska earns 50% EQM starting Jan 1st on B, H, M, Q, U, G, K, L, T, V

Finnair earns 50% EQM A, H, K, L, M, P, V, G, N, O, Q, R, S, T, W, Z

BASICALLY all partners earn 50% EQM unless you buy a Y/B fare.

Really is no reason to fly AA anymore

200nites Nov 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by badjuju (Post 25729268)
In other words, they merge airlines just to screw their members over.

1. Subtract 1 month from membership period.
2. Increase segment requirement for EXP
3. Slash SWUs by 50% and fly even more to get the additional 4 SWUs. 200K needed for 8 SWUs
4. Increase sticker requirements by 25%

... all this whilst degrading the product. Thanks!

Never expected anything different from this Parker led Mgt. team...just about everything is being degraded (although I do give them credit for purchasing new aircraft) including # of First seats, private label snacks in first, etc.

Thank goodness I hit the 2M mark and have reduced my flying (of course who knows if million miler program will continue)

CApreppie Nov 17, 2015 1:27 pm

It was inevitable that once the merger was going smoothly, AA would follow the likes of DL and UA in devaluing the FF program. I'm just surprised there is no minimum $ spend yet - I suppose you have to save something for 2017!

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25729363)
Only marginally related, I thought there was a -chance- they'd make some changes/improvements to CK at this point, kinda think it's a mistake that they didn't, personally.

Considering Concierge Key doesn't even have its own specific webpage on AA.com, wouldn't any of those be made quietly? I know you would know if they occurred anyway, but might be something they'll be changing later after putting all of their focus into this much larger overall program change.

Schultzois Nov 17, 2015 1:39 pm

So, partner earnings even on normal economy tickets gutted.
No improvement in partner earnings for premium cabins (unless I've missed something).
And a major devaluation on redemption levels... my usual two awards move from 62,500 to 85,000 o/w and 32,500 to 50,000 o/w - so 36-54% more miles needed for my usual redemptions.

I suppose it could have been worse, but this is pretty bad as far as I'm concerned.

If subsequent changes to tickets issued between now and March 21 are honored under current rates, I'm tempted to book some of my usual routes at current rates.

CDKing Nov 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Now everyone will be looking for EY F apartment awards. I guess I need to just find something, book and go.

klymen Nov 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Feeling rather glad I just drained my account with a J return Europe-Australia. 25K extra each way from next year. Old J redemption rate is the new Y rate.

I predict a rush to redeem, and corresponding dearth of award availability, especially in J/F.

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 25729495)
Now everyone will be looking for EY F apartment awards. I guess I need to just find something, book and go.

I have zero regrets about all of the wonderful tickets I booked in the last 12-13 months :D :D :D.

GUWonder Nov 17, 2015 1:46 pm

The earning changes aren't an improvement for me as a very mixed class flyer.

The redemption chart changes and the reduction of elite benefits for me are rather brutal.

This basically marks the end of an era of me going out of my way to fly AA and Oneworld carriers. Also what is history: AA getting top spot when it comes to crediting my non-flight activity to a partner airline program (in this case AA).

AA is hiking the cost of most of my mileage ticket redemptions by well over 30% -- even as my cost to acquire miles has not dropped.

kalendil Nov 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 25729495)

Yup. Glad I booked mine weeks ago after the BA earning announcement.

prw555 Nov 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25729353)
If you're flying monthly to HKG in paid J, and other trips elsewhere, I'm sure AA will take care of you (are you CK?).

Not CK, lowly EXP. This year over 300k EQP, and last month CS gave me 6 extra SWU's. 50% of my OW spend is on CX, so although total spend over $60k, only 50% is on AA metal, so they won't give me CK.

lobo411 Nov 17, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanksgiving is next week...close enough to call this the Thanksgiving Massacre?