Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SRG80
I'm on the 297 so thanks for the heads up! I won't have checked baggage so will keep an eye out for the one-stop exit, assume it is well signed? Thanks again!
The one stop is pretty well signed, it's at the side of the corridor and has a few GE machines. You exit down a corridor directly to land side. HBO should help a lot in reducing the uncertainty.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just want to check out if you all think this is the right plan, and get some quick advice.

AA EXP traveling PHL - ORD - HEL in J later this week. I have a ~4 hour connection in ORD. What i am reading from this thread is stay in T3 for AA Flagship lounge, and then just go to T5 to board AY 10.

I am planning on leaving from FL at T-60

Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Just want to check out if you all think this is the right plan, and get some quick advice.

AA EXP traveling PHL - ORD - HEL in J later this week. I have a ~4 hour connection in ORD. What i am reading from this thread is stay in T3 for AA Flagship lounge, and then just go to T5 to board AY 10.

I am planning on leaving from FL at T-60
Any other recommendations?
I do the ORD-HEL trip a few times a year (and then onto HKG, PEK or PVG) and I stay in T3 Flagship until about T-90. In T5, Finnair will stick you in the Air France catchall club, which isn't anything to write home about.
On thing to note - you'll need to get a Finnair boarding pass from their counter in T5. Several times I've gotten off of the bus in T5 at about T-60, only to hear my name being paged to the Finnair counter for a passport check and boarding pass.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skydve1
I do the ORD-HEL trip a few times a year (and then onto HKG, PEK or PVG) and I stay in T3 Flagship until about T-90. In T5, Finnair will stick you in the Air France catchall club, which isn't anything to write home about.
On thing to note - you'll need to get a Finnair boarding pass from their counter in T5. Several times I've gotten off of the bus in T5 at about T-60, only to hear my name being paged to the Finnair counter for a passport check and boarding pass.
Thank you. Very helpful. Yes I am on to BKK after 7 hours in HEL (hoping to get out and see the city for a bit),

I presumed i could get BP's in PHL (or vai OLCI) that's very good to know i will have to head over earlier.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Thank you. Very helpful. Yes I am on to BKK after 7 hours in HEL (hoping to get out and see the city for a bit),

I presumed i could get BP's in PHL (or vai OLCI) that's very good to know i will have to head over earlier.
You'll get an AA BP, but it's not valid for the AY flights. They can't issue AY BP's at the FL either, only at the Finnair desk in T5.
The non-schengen lounges are open again in HEL, so you can pop in there and get a shower after you land. You can also store your stuff in the lockers. There's Uber in HEL, so you can leave the airport and grab an Uber into town.
Also - from experience - save your AY boarding passes. About 75% of the time, I don't get my AA EQD/EQM credits from AY flights, and I have to submit the AA form after 30 days. AA requires that you send the AY boarding passes.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:05 pm

Hi all,

I am looking at booking either a Tuesday AA flight from SMF to ORD that lands at 1:38 pm that involves a 1 hr 32 min connection. I assume this is in T3.
OR
United flight from SMF to ORD that lands at 1:00 pm that involves a 2 hr 10 min connection. I assume this is in T1.

I have a flight on Alitalia in T5 at 3:10 pm, and I prefer the AA flight, but I am a little concerned (with both flights actually) on making it on time. Are these both viable options? I am one adult, with no checked luggage, and I can run fast

Last edited by jjeremiah; May 2, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jjeremiah
Hi all,

I am looking at booking either a Tuesday AA flight from SMF to ORD that lands at 1:38 pm that involves a 1 hr 32 min connection. I assume this is in T3.
OR
United flight from SMF to ORD that lands at 1:00 pm that involves a 2 hr 10 min connection. I assume this is in T1.

I have a flight on Alitalia in T5 at 3:10 pm, and I prefer the AA flight, but don't am a little concerned (with both flights actually) on making it on time. Are these both viable options? I am one adult, with no checked luggage, and I can run fast
It could be a little tight, you need up to about 10 minutes to get to a Terminal Transfer Bus stop, up to 20 minutes if you miss a bus, 10-15 minutes for the ride, up to 10 minutes from bus to gate and 40 minutes at the gate. Add 15 minutes or so for T1 to T3. So there is probably a slight extra margin with United but AA should work if things are on time.

ETA: note that you will need a T5 boarding pass to use the TTB and you will need much longer if you have to go land side and also check in. You will need to get your documents checked at the gate
jjeremiah likes this.

Last edited by MADPhil; May 2, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Old May 3, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PLT
Recent reports from coworkers indicate the bus ride can take upwards of 30 minutes door-to-door, so I wouldn't risk the 90 minute connection if you're on separate tickets. If it were all on one booking, I'd feel more comfortable about it.

That said, UA doesn't participate in the airside bus program, so you'll have to walk 10 minutes to T3, which will cut down on some of the margin.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Recent reports from coworkers indicate the bus ride can take upwards of 30 minutes door-to-door, so I wouldn't risk the 90 minute connection if you're on separate tickets. If it were all on one booking, I'd feel more comfortable about it.

That said, UA doesn't participate in the airside bus program, so you'll have to walk 10 minutes to T3, which will cut down on some of the margin.
airside bus do any passenger who has a boarding pass for the flight that departs T5. It used to be for BA pax only. Now this bus is for all passengers including UA
Old May 3, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by gateH15

airside bus do any passenger who has a boarding pass for the flight that departs T5. It used to be for BA pax only. Now this bus is for all passengers including UA
I suppose I could've worded it better -- there are no pickup locations in T1 because UA won't pick up the tab. You are correct in saying that any T5 pax can use the bus with a boarding pass and passport.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AY+ gold, Miles&bonus gold
Locating the 1-stop in T5?

Hi. I'm flying HEL-[AY]-ORD-[AA]-SNA on May 13th. I know that there is, or used to be the 1-stop CBP facility in T5, which MADPhil mentions a couple of posts above. My problem is, that I've managed to locate it only once, when I flew in from either ARN or CPH with SK, but not during my numerous arrivals with AY. Browsing some other posts in this and in the "Midwest" forum, I've got an impression that perhaps 1-stop is not accessible from all gates of T5, in particular the central ones (M8-M11). Is my hitch correct? Or is it possible, in case of arriving in one of the central gates, to go down a corridor, away from the central CBP area and towards the 1-stop facility?

Thanks,
P.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by PeeterL
Hi. I'm flying HEL-[AY]-ORD-[AA]-SNA on May 13th. I know that there is, or used to be the 1-stop CBP facility in T5, which MADPhil mentions a couple of posts above. My problem is, that I've managed to locate it only once, when I flew in from either ARN or CPH with SK, but not during my numerous arrivals with AY. Browsing some other posts in this and in the "Midwest" forum, I've got an impression that perhaps 1-stop is not accessible from all gates of T5, in particular the central ones (M8-M11). Is my hitch correct? Or is it possible, in case of arriving in one of the central gates, to go down a corridor, away from the central CBP area and towards the 1-stop facility?

Thanks,
P.
It's a bit hard to figure out the online map but it looks as if there is one-stop on both sides of the main immigration area. It certainly exists in the corridor when land side is on your right. The actual check point is unobtrusive but there are Tensa barriers and GE machines on the land side wall of the corridor. Just don't get swept on by the crowd. If there isn't one on the other side then you should be able to cross the back of the main immigration area to get to the one that I know exists. I usually have a checked bag hence the vagueness!
Old May 3, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool

Thanks, this is very helpful and confirms what I was thinking. Separate tickets really would have saved me. I guess I will be flying the night before at 11pm and figure out what to do on a ten hour layover....[crying on the inside]
Old May 3, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by jjeremiah
Thanks, this is very helpful and confirms what I was thinking. Separate tickets really would have saved me. I guess I will be flying the night before at 11pm and figure out what to do on a ten hour layover....[crying on the inside]
Post over on the USA Midwest forum and we'll help you out.
linglingfool, jjeremiah and SamirD like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:13 pm

Just a personal anecdote:

Honestly I wouldn't do a I->D at ORD on separate tickets right now but especially if you have a checked bag with less than 2 hours. Even with GE and precheck I got burned coming back from LHR with a 90 minute connection a couple weeks ago waiting for my bag. I missed the last flight of the day home and while AA had no problem putting me standby on the first flight of the day at no additional expense the hotel was on my dime.
jjeremiah and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.