FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1671729-guide-aa-hkg-hong-kong-int-l-airport-connections-mct-arrival-departure-etc.html)

Kacee Jan 17, 2020 12:02 am

Originally Posted by wk989 (Post 31959176)
Considering connecting in HKG on separate tickets in July. KA-AA with KA inbound from KUL arriving 12:25PM, AA Outbound to DFW departing 2:20PM.
We would likely have checked baggage.
Is this realistic? Never connected through HKG before so unsure if we'll need to clear customs/etc, especially on separate tickets.

It's really a KA question, but they should check your bags through. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...e-pnrs-33.html 1:55 is an easy connection at HKG. It would be doable even if you had to enter Hong Kong to recheck your bags.

In general, flying separate tix it's really better if you don't have to check bags. It's one less thing that can potentially go wrong.

wk989 Jan 17, 2020 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31960793)
It's really a KA question, but they should check your bags through. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...e-pnrs-33.html 1:55 is an easy connection at HKG. It would be doable even if you had to enter Hong Kong to recheck your bags.

In general, flying separate tix it's really better if you don't have to check bags. It's one less thing that can potentially go wrong.

I agree-- I prefer not to check bags. Unfortunately I think the Y weight limit on CX/KA will force us to -- my Rimowa weighs something like 3.5kg empty and the limit is 7kg. Is it likely for this limit to be ignored, given the bags fully meet carry-on size requirements?

Kacee Jan 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by wk989 (Post 31964393)
I agree-- I prefer not to check bags. Unfortunately I think the Y weight limit on CX/KA will force us to -- my Rimowa weighs something like 3.5kg empty and the limit is 7kg. Is it likely for this limit to be ignored, given the bags fully meet carry-on size requirements?

I can't speak to Y, but I regularly carry-on overweight in CX J, including my oversize Rimowa Cabin Plus.

wk989 Jan 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31964400)
I can't speak to Y, but I regularly carry-on overweight in CX J, including my oversize Rimowa Cabin Plus.

Hmmm-- ok. Probably will just try to carry it on then. I'm connecting to AA J, and I've never had issues there.
Worst case it goes in the hold for the first leg.
Thanks!

B-HQC Jan 17, 2020 10:07 pm

I'm a very frequent CX traveler and have never seen them weigh carry ons at the gate or at check in, but I am Emerald. If you don't have status, to be safe, I would either check in online and go straight to the gate or have someone stay behind with your carry on and not bring it to the counter until after you check in.

Generally, carry ons are not an issue as everyone can check bags for free and the planes are all WBs.

Kacee Jan 17, 2020 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by B-HQC (Post 31964501)
I'm a very frequent CX traveler and have never seen them weigh carry ons at the gate or at check in, but I am Emerald. If you don't have status, to be safe, I would either check in online and go straight to the gate or have someone stay behind with your carry on and not bring it to the counter until after you check in.

Generally, carry ons are not an issue as everyone can check bags for free and the planes are all WBs.

CX is usually a no hassles airline. It's one of the reasons I like flying them so much.

Global321 Jan 29, 2020 5:38 am

Flying tomorrow BKK to HKG, CX, on ticket #1 , arriving around 12 noon.
Departing on ticket #2 to AA, HK-LAX at 7:55pm
Tried to do online check-in and got the dreaded check-in at the airport message. (Recently renewed my passport.)

Given the virus outbreak, no desire to go into HKG.

Any thoughts on ways to get past transit security from people with this experience?

1. If I check a bag at BKK to LAX will they be able to print my AA on the second ticket? (I don't need to check a bag, but would to get the bp.)
2. Anyone know the hours of the AA transit desk at HKG?
3. With the earlier DFW flight, the transit desk should be open for that flight. Is there an issue with me using it to check-in for the LAX flight? (Some European airports only open check-in for the next flight.)

Other thoughts on getting the AA bp?

Thanks in advance.

JJeffrey Jan 29, 2020 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 32007390)
Flying tomorrow BKK to HKG, CX, on ticket #1 , arriving around 12 noon.
Departing on ticket #2 to AA, HK-LAX at 7:55pm
Tried to do online check-in and got the dreaded check-in at the airport message. (Recently renewed my passport.)

Given the virus outbreak, no desire to go into HKG.

Any thoughts on ways to get past transit security from people with this experience?

1. If I check a bag at BKK to LAX will they be able to print my AA on the second ticket? (I don't need to check a bag, but would to get the bp.)
2. Anyone know the hours of the AA transit desk at HKG?
3. With the earlier DFW flight, the transit desk should be open for that flight. Is there an issue with me using it to check-in for the LAX flight? (Some European airports only open check-in for the next flight.)

Other thoughts on getting the AA bp?

Thanks in advance.

Just go to the AA transit desk once you land in HKG, it will be open and no issues at all to check you in and print BP for the flight to LAX.

Just as a data point, I had a similar connection last year arriving from PEK around 1pm connecting to LAX around 7:50pm, no problem at all to grab AA boarding pass from the AA transit desk.

Global321 Jan 29, 2020 6:11 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 32007420)
Just go to the AA transit desk once you land in HKG, it will be open and no issues at all to check you in and print BP for the flight to LAX.

Just as a data point, I had a similar connection last year arriving from PEK around 1pm connecting to LAX around 7:50pm, no problem at all to grab AA boarding pass from the AA transit desk.

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you remember it was East or West transit?

JJeffrey Jan 29, 2020 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 32007459)
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you remember it was East or West transit?

AA uses transit desk W1, basically at the center of the "Y" of the HKG terminal, if that makes sense.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/map/#transferDesk_W1

Global321 Jan 30, 2020 12:24 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 32007634)
AA uses transit desk W1, basically at the center of the "Y" of the HKG terminal, if that makes sense.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/map/#transferDesk_W1

Thanks again. I got lucky... In Bangkok, I went to the CX check-in counter for my CX flight and told them I was connecting to a second itinerary on AA and gave them the itinerary. She was able to print all AA bp's right there. No need to check a bag. Shame AA can't be so customer friendly.

Kacee Jan 30, 2020 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 32011013)
Thanks again. I got lucky... In Bangkok, I went to the CX check-in counter for my CX flight and told them I was connecting to a second itinerary on AA and gave them the itinerary. She was able to print all AA bp's right there. No need to check a bag.

CX agents are wonderfully competent.