FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Latest merger updates: FFP merged 28 Mar. Updates, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1662899-latest-merger-updates-ffp-merged-28-mar-updates-etc.html)

JDiver Mar 13, 2015 9:23 am

Latest merger updates: FFP merged 28 Mar. Updates, etc.

E-mails from both airlines to their frequent flyer programs' constituencies clarify some FFP merger timeline and related issues:

American Airlines AAdvantage: Countdown to a single loyalty program
March 13, 2015, 7:41 AM

Dear JDiver,

AAdvantage Executive Platinum Number 004U.

In October, we announced we would combine our frequent flyer programs in the second quarter of this year. And now, we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days.

While you'll most likely be unaffected by this transition, here's what you can expect:

Earning & redeeming miles

As a member of the most rewarding airline loyalty program, you'll continue earning miles when you fly on American, US Airways, oneworld® and other participating airlines, as well as with over 1,000 partners. Plus, once we combine programs, you'll be able to redeem miles for upgrades on American and US Airways flights in addition to all the ways you can redeem today.

Benefits of the AAdvantage program »

Upgrading your experience

Once we combine programs, your elite benefits will initially work differently for American and US Airways flights, as we'll still operate as two separate airlines. We'll adopt the American upgrade process for all flights when we have a single reservation system later this year.

How upgrades will work »

To upgrade, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either American or US Airways. If you're booked on a codeshare flight, you'll only be able to upgrade when you check in based on availability.

What is a codeshare? »

Benefiting with your card

As a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select cardmember, once we combine programs, you'll begin enjoying your first checked bag free on domestic flights and boarding privileges with Zone 2 when flying on US Airways. This is in addition to the current benefits you're already receiving on American.

Your card benefits »

We appreciate your continued loyalty.

Regards,

Suzanne L. Rubin
President, AAdvantage Loyalty Program
and

U. S. Airways Dividend Miles: Countdown to a single loyalty program
13 Mar 2015, 11:28

JDiver
004U2

In October, we announced we would combine our frequent flyer programs in the second quarter of this year. And now, we're on track to bring the Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage® program within the next 30 days. We'll be providing you with more information on timing and what you can expect as an AAdvantage member in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, here's what you need to know:

Moving to the AAdvantage program

We'll create a new AAdvantage account for you once we combine programs, and we'll transfer your Dividend Miles mileage balance, Preferred-qualifying activity and million mile balance into that account on a one-to-one ratio. We'll determine your elite status level by looking at your combined elite-qualifying activity for 2014, and separately, your combined 2015 year-to-date elite-qualifying activity.

As a member of the most rewarding airline loyalty program, you'll earn miles when you fly on American, US Airways, oneworld® and other participating airlines, as well as with over 1,000 partners. And, you'll be able to redeem miles for flights, upgrades on US Airways and American, car rentals, hotel stays and more.

Benefits of the AAdvantage program »

Booking award travel

Dividend Miles award bookings and mileage upgrade requests will be disabled a few days before we combine programs to allow us to integrate your accounts.If you plan to redeem Dividend Miles for an upcoming trip, we encourage you to book now. Once our programs are combined, Dividend Miles will be converted into AAdvantage miles, and you'll be able to redeem AAdvantage miles with American.

Benefiting with your card

As a US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard® cardmember, you'll begin enjoying your first eligible checked bag free and Group 1 boarding on domestic American flights once we combine programs. This is in addition to the current benefits you're already receiving on US Airways.

Your card benefits »

Have an account in both programs?

Let us know before March 20, so we can combine your miles and activity into your AAdvantage account. If you're unable to match by then, we'll assign your Dividend Miles account a new AAdvantage number and give you a chance to merge accounts later.

How to match your accounts »

We appreciate your continued loyalty and look forward to welcoming you as an AAdvantage member.

Suzanne L. Rubin
President, AAdvantage Loyalty Program

This email was sent to <e-mail address> because you subscribe to the 'News and Offers' list.

This email has been sent on behalf of US Airways. We are happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. For all inquiries about US Airways or the Dividend Miles® program, visit usairways.com/contact, send an email to [email protected] or contact us in writing at US Airways, 111 W. Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe, AZ 85281.

US Airways may change, temporarily suspend or discontinue any or all aspects of the Dividend Miles program at any time with or without notice. Visit usairways.com/dm for program updates.

A portion of all travel booked on US Airways may be operated by US Airways Express®. US Airways Express service is operated by Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation, Mesa Airlines, Inc., Piedmont Airlines, Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or Trans States Airlines, LLC

US Airways, US Airways Express, and Dividend Miles are marks of US Airways, Inc.

oneworld is a registered trademark of oneworld Alliance, LLC.

© US Airways | All rights reserved

HTMLPNTSNO031315

This email and any information or files transmitted with it are solely for the confidential use of the recipient. This message contains confidential and proprietary information of US Airways (such as US Airways employee, customer and business data) that may not be read, searched, distributed or otherwise used by anyone other than the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and promptly delete this message and its attachments.

PaulInTheSky Mar 13, 2015 10:51 am

Thank you JDiver. Was about to post it in AAPM forum.

I am curious whether we will still have the similar eVIP upgrade system intact. It seems like we should. Has there anybody who already got 100k EQM in AA and already got 8 eVIPs with expiration date of 02/28/2016?

jtav559 Mar 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1 (Post 24502815)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamilesslave

I'd go as far as say that for upgrade purposes, it would be best to avoid booking codeshares until the US code disappears.

With Capt. Parker at the yolk, I think avoiding "US" is gonna be impossible

rove312 Mar 13, 2015 4:47 pm

As a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select cardmember, once we combine programs, you'll begin enjoying your first checked bag free on domestic flights and boarding privileges with Zone 2 when flying on US Airways. This is in addition to the current benefits you're already receiving on American.
My email from US says:

As a US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard® cardmember, you'll begin enjoying your first eligible checked bag free and Group 1 boarding on domestic American flights once we combine programs. This is in addition to the current benefits you're already receiving on US Airways.

shawn67 Mar 13, 2015 4:51 pm

My guess is the process will begin on March 26. Both US and AA have share miles specials that end at 11:59PM on March 25.

JDiver Mar 13, 2015 9:52 pm

Some of us, from AA and US, are not happy with the merger. Nonetheless, it is what it is, and since we can't change what they do, the only things we can have control over are 1) our attitudes and behavior, 2) the airline(s) we choose to fly.

Some posts that are merely airline crapping / oneupmanship or disparaging to individuals and replies to same have been deleted or redacted.

We just aren't going to tolerate people calling the bride or groom in this shotgun marriage ugly, nor defamatory smears against any airline management.

/Moderator

grbauctions Mar 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24504384)
Some of us, from AA and US, are not happy with the merger. Nonetheless, it is what it is, and since we can't change what they do, the only things we can have control over are 1) our attitudes and behavior, 2) the airline(s) we choose to fly.

Some posts that are merely airline crapping / oneupmanship or disparaging to individuals and replies to same have been deleted or redacted.

We just aren't going to tolerate people calling the bride or groom in this shotgun marriage ugly, nor defamatory smears against any airline management.

/Moderator

Thank you I've found myself not spending has much time reading the forums and I find this to be a big positive.. Thanks

JonNYC Mar 14, 2015 10:52 am

Originally Posted by grbauctions (Post 24504608)
Thank you I've found myself not spending has much time reading the forums and I find this to be a big positive.. Thanks

Absolutely agree-- andy kind of Lxx (legacy US or legacy AA) bashing is so, so, so, so pointless at this point. That's -before- on even gets into the lack of accuracy of some of the bashing, impact of individual perspective on same, etc., etc. Let's just grow up and move on already!

JDiver Mar 18, 2015 9:02 am

A member posts in the US forum attempting to sign up for Dividend Miles online takes tou to the AAdvantage signup page.

The end is nearer...

JonNYC Mar 18, 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24526298)
A member posts in the US forum attempting to sign up for Dividend Miles online takes tou to the AAdvantage signup page.

The end is nearer...

Ah, yes-- they did detail this step in internal documentation as one of the final steps:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8567/...8292fc20_b.jpg

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 21, 2015 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I (Post 24544437)
- No, it is not. As AA EXP I am also unable to chose some of the Y seats upfront in US without paying $ while none of the AA seats in Y would require an additional payment. Till the program merge AA and US still operate as separate entities with their own FF Program rules.
Also, on a very recent occasion it took >10 min for an AA EXP agent talking to DM desk to attach my AA number to an itinerary booked on US stock by a travel agent.

I find that entire US thing strange. I can get certain window seats towards the front of Y for free but some cost $$. For example I can get 5A on an A320 and 6A on an A321 for free. I wonder how much money this brings in a year for US and whether this will be converted to all MCE seats down the road, charged to both PLTs and EXPs.

JDiver Mar 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Single Operation Certificate in April?

Terry Maxon, aviation blogger for the Dallas Morning News, quotes AA President Scott Kirby as saying a single operating certificate for AA and U.S. may be approved by the FAA as soon as next month.

“We have completed eight of our nine phases, and we hope to get a single operating certificate in April,” Kirby said.
Full merger won't occur until both airlines switch their PSS / bookings system to Sabre, to occur "later this year", and fleet and operations are consolidated after that.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...nference.html/

JDiver Mar 23, 2015 10:15 am

Posted in the accounts matching thread, a commo from AA quoted by JonNYC:

The current target date (for AA and US accounts merger) is Saturday, March 28, 2015.
This possibly would indicate a humongous batch process taking the weekend, possibly longer.

It has been common with aa.com that when a major batch process is occurring, our accounts are zeroed out. This has been a common occurrence and has not been anything to worry about; there is usually an annotation in our accounts online explaining the temporary absence of data. This could last 48 or even more hours due to the extensive scope of this FFP combination.

The aa.com page regarding FFP matching has changed; it now says:

Did you match your accounts?

If you matched your Dividend Miles and AAdvantage accounts earlier this year, we’ll email you once your accounts are combined. Until then, you won’t be able to see your matched accounts and all your Dividend Miles and AAdvantage program miles and activity will remain separate.

What's next:

Once we combine programs, we'll combine the balances from both of your accounts, which includes:
  • Award eligible miles
  • Elite-qualifying balances
  • Million miler balance
If you didn’t match your accounts…

Don’t worry, after we combine loyalty programs you’ll have another opportunity to merge your accounts.

Carl Mar 23, 2015 2:22 pm

I just received this from e-miles, which also suggests this is right at hand.

http://i.imgur.com/ttLXZygl.png

Phoenixtinct Mar 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 24553354)
I just received this from e-miles, which also suggests this is right at hand.

http://i.imgur.com/ttLXZygl.png

If this is correct, then it appears that the merge will happen tomorrow (on the 24th) if all accounts will be AAdvantage starting March 25th. I guess we have to wait 48 hours to see if that actually happens.