Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: The Future of Barclays Aviator Cards and AAdvantage Miles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The Future of Barclays Aviator Cards and AAdvantage Miles

NOTE: This thread is archived. Please follow discussion about these cards in the current thread. Link.

aa.com has a page, "Welcome U S Airways Dividend Miles credit card embers" here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/barclays-merger.jsp

This page summarizes what will occur with USDM cards in the USDM -> AAdvantage transition:

We're combining the Dividend Miles® and AAdvantage® programs to create a single loyalty program. Soon, you’ll get an AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® to replace your current US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard. Until your new card arrives keep using your current card.

Once the loyalty programs combine, you’ll start earning AAdvantage miles and your Dividend Miles will automatically become AAdvantage miles. For detailed information about your current cardmember benefits, please see your cardmember agreement.
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: The Future of Barclays Aviator Cards and AAdvantage Miles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

If I were to sign up for the US Airways Barclay credit card before the complete merger, say today, and meet the criteria for the 50,000 bonus miles would I be able to convert these over to AAdvantage miles or was there a cut off that has passed? I was just wondering if this is another way to gain 50K miles on AAdvantage, just sort of backdoor.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 25, 2015 at 3:20 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
The Dividend Miles program will sunset in Q2 and all balances will be consolidated into AAdvantage. If you have an account in each program you can currently link them in preparation. The bonus miles take a good bit to post, though, so if you're looking to use them anytime before June, it's not a good strategy.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Sofo,
Thanks for the reply. So I am not worried about using them immediately at all, just want to make sure that the bonus will transfer from US to AAdvantage when the merger completes AAdvantage/US Q2. By your reply, it sounds like my goal of adding 50K miles to AAdvantage is still possible by signing up for the Baryclay US Airways Card, am I correct?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You are correct. They will become AA miles sometime in Q2. Go get 'em!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
FWIW...

I saw this promotion back in November, and knowing the 2 FF programs would merge, saw a great opportunity to score 50K miles for $89 (yearly card fee). Also a free AC day-pass and the companion airfare cert. (which has an ungodly amount of blackout days just FYI).

First, I set up a FF account over at US Air and get a FF# that way. If you don't, the CC people will assign you one. I just felt better having an FF# in hand when I went to apply for the CC, rather than leaving it up to them. May or may not have sped up the process.

Application was simple and I had my card about 12 days later. The bonus miles posted close to a month after my first statement closed. Just an FYI there as well.

I waited until the bonus posted, before giving AA.com my US air FF# on that post-login prompt.

Now we wait for the two to merge and my AA account balance to get a healthy influx of cheap miles.

Hope my 2cents helps!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
After you get your bonus DMs, look into the new Aviator card that replaces the program.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Great, thank you guys very much for the input!!!

One last question, when reviewing the 0% foreign transaction fees does this mean only transactions that are processed in USD or any currency? This is the other reason I am looking to sign up on this card.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by akblnb517
Great, thank you guys very much for the input!!!

One last question, when reviewing the 0% foreign transaction fees does this mean only transactions that are processed in USD or any currency? This is the other reason I am looking to sign up on this card.
Always have the amount charged in the local currency and let your CC or Bank do the exchange rate conversion. When foreign merchants offer to charge in USD, sometimes the exchange rate is not the same as what the bank uses, tends to be higher.

As for the transaction fee, it's usually applied to the USD amount post-conversion. So with this card, you wouldn't see any fee for the conversion (usually 2-3% with other cards).
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, US, Hyatt, DL, BA, LH, WN
Barclay rep says 4 AAdvantage Aviator cards coming

I sent a secure message to Barclays in regards to my US Airways card asking what will happen after the programs merge and requesting that I be issued the Aviator Silver card since I want to earn EQMs through spend!

I received a response back, and didn't get a straight answer as to which card I would be receiving. But was told that there would be 4 different variations of the card. Which I have yet to see posted anywhere online. I only have heard of the AAdvantage Aviator Silver and the AAdvantage Aviator Red.

The rep mentioned there would also be an AAdvantage Aviator Blue and a AAdvantage Aviator.

I don't know if this is a miss-informed agent, but thought this was worth posting.

Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by jollyman89
I sent a secure message to Barclays in regards to my US Airways card asking what will happen after the programs merge and requesting that I be issued the Aviator Silver card since I want to earn EQMs through spend!

I received a response back, and didn't get a straight answer as to which card I would be receiving. But was told that there would be 4 different variations of the card. Which I have yet to see posted anywhere online. I only have heard of the AAdvantage Aviator Silver and the AAdvantage Aviator Red.

The rep mentioned there would also be an AAdvantage Aviator Blue and a AAdvantage Aviator.

I don't know if this is a miss-informed agent, but thought this was worth posting.
I'm guessing one will be a top end card to match with the advantage executive card that comes with admirals club membership ($450 annual fee). As for the other 3? Not really sure as to their unique benefits and differences between the levels.

There is currently an AA gold MC(old generation, my dad has one for 20+ years but has never been offered or asked to change), AA plat MC (mom and myself carry this one), and the executive(aforementioned), as well as business version.

Edit to add: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation/1623794-new-aadvantage-aviator-silver-red-cards-barclaycard-us-targeted.html

Has some more info on it.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by jtav559
There is currently an AA gold MC(old generation, my dad has one for 20+ years but has never been offered or asked to change), AA plat MC (mom and myself carry this one), and the executive(aforementioned), as well as business version.
Don't forget the Citi Bronze, which you can downgrade to from one of the other 3.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosfo
The Dividend Miles program will sunset in Q2 and all balances will be consolidated into AAdvantage. If you have an account in each program you can currently link them in preparation. The bonus miles take a good bit to post, though, so if you're looking to use them anytime before June, it's not a good strategy.
This is not true. You can get the bonus miles as early as a couple of days after your first statement closing date. The key is that (1) they only post on statement closing dates, and (2) they only post if you've paid the AF. So if you've paid the AF by the time the first statement closes, you are good.

(Edit for clarity: There is also (3) you have to have made a purchase of at least $1)

On the other hand, if you want AA miles (and not US miles) you do need to wait for the programs to merge.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jtav559
I'm guessing one will be a top end card to match with the advantage executive card that comes with admirals club membership ($450 annual fee). As for the other 3? Not really sure as to their unique benefits and differences between the levels.

Edit to add: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-targeted.html

Has some more info on it.

I doubt it. Citi becomes the sole supplier of credit cards affiliated with AAdvantage, and Barclays will be "grandfathered" in with their existing cards.

According to the web link in the wiki, Aviator Silver will be the top of five Barclays cards (I dont think they'll be able to make any new offerings at all once DM is subsumed into AAdvantage) and Citi already offers the Admirals Club membership bundled Executive MasterCard.

The card with Admirals Club membership included will be the Citi Executive MasterCard the way it looks right now. (I'll be canceling mine after 30 years of Admirals Club membership, and using my USDM soon to be Aviators AAdvantage card for the purpose of earning AA miles and having an EMV chip, forex-free MasterCard.)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 14, 2015 at 10:18 am Reason: Add wiki reference
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Angry

I just hope whatever happens, AA will not allow the credit card announcements in flight - it is beyond annoying, and almost always out of or to MCO. I don't have a problem if they give them out with the beverage service, put them in the seat back pocket etc, but don't want to hear the commercials inflight; sometimes several minutes long with follow-ups later inflight! Especially annoying early morning or late night.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
I just canceled my US Airways card in hopes of applying for a new one before the merger and getting the 50,000 mile bonus. How soon can I apply for the new one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.