FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA's first Boeing 787 / 787-8 arv. Jan 2015; discussion, deliveries (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1648821-aas-first-boeing-787-787-8-arv-jan-2015-discussion-deliveries.html)

AvidFlyer1990 Jan 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 24233310)
http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/01/...-8-dreamliner/

According to Airways News, the initial domestic routes will be announced within the next three to four weeks.

Thank you sir!!

relangford Jan 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Since FT is a hotbed of speculation, .... Here in Korea, AA has hinted at "upgrades" to the aircraft (currently, the only is ICN-DFW on a 772 in old configuration). Most guessers have speculated a 77W. I suspect the 788 is too small for the loads (and cargo), but does anyone have an idea if Korea might get a 788 (AA has also hinted at another ICN-U.S. route - maybe LAX)?

roadwarrior84 Jan 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by relangford (Post 24259225)
Since FT is a hotbed of speculation, .... Here in Korea, AA has hinted at "upgrades" to the aircraft (currently, the only is ICN-DFW on a 772 in old configuration). Most guessers have speculated a 77W. I suspect the 788 is too small for the loads (and cargo), but does anyone have an idea if Korea might get a 788 (AA has also hinted at another ICN-U.S. route - maybe LAX)?

No. Korea won´t get either. If anything it will get a refurb 777 and that won´t happen for a while.

FWAAA Jan 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Several months ago, a story in Korean media quoted an AA employee in Seoul saying that DFW-ICN was doing so well that she envisioned DFW-ICN being upsized to a 77W. That said, I'm skeptical.

Longboater Jan 29, 2015 7:42 pm

I read a while back they are planning on LAX-ICN on a 788. It might even be launched this year. DFW-ICN could be downgauged to a 788 as well to help the viability of LAX-ICN as Asiana/Korean have the market saturated.

cova Jan 31, 2015 12:19 am

New routes for 787 - LAX to AKL.

mikelat Jan 31, 2015 12:38 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 24266017)
New routes for 787 - LAX to AKL.

Is that a request or substantiated by anything?

JonNYC Jan 31, 2015 2:44 am

Originally Posted by mikelat (Post 24266046)
Is that a request or substantiated by anything?

Most definitely the former.

Jeff Sloyer Feb 2, 2015 11:36 pm

Aa and the 787

It looks like aa took delivery of their Dreamliner from aa's Instagram account. There is no tail number but I'm guessing it's either n780av or n781av. The reason I think it's this is us airways uses Wells Fargo to finance the purchase of aircraft.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...Val=0&PageNo=1

http://instagram.com/p/yNCoN3ox8n/

IceTrojan Feb 3, 2015 1:33 am

That's a big fat negative.

N800AN

jridge Feb 3, 2015 1:57 am

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer (Post 24282584)
That's a big fat negative.

N800AN

Correct. And a quick google search gives plenty of links. There is no need to guess.

http://worldairlinenews.com/2015/01/...jetliner-type/

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/01/...-8-dreamliner/

JY1024 Feb 3, 2015 8:54 am

Merged with existing discussion about AA's first 787. /Moderator

JDiver Feb 3, 2015 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Jeff Sloyer (Post 24282304)
It looks like aa took delivery of their Dreamliner from aa's Instagram account. There is no tail number but I'm guessing it's either n780av or n781av. The reason I think it's this is us airways uses Wells Fargo to finance the purchase of aircraft.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...Val=0&PageNo=1

http://instagram.com/p/yNCoN3ox8n/

The information is in the wikipost for this thread.

This is why FlyerTalk requires searching for an existing thread prior to starting a new thread. :) this provides one with information other members have had the courtesy to post and share, and it prevents information fragmentation.

To search for a thread like this: use Advanced Search, search thread titles, render results as threads and use the keyword "787". Quotation marks must be used to search for very common terms or terms containing three or fewer characters, e.g. CX.

/Moderator

JonNYC Feb 3, 2015 5:19 pm

AA's 787 was showing recently as active in the fleet list (even though first flights are many weeks away and it's international service, months away.)

Things are obviously going slowly, and-- coincidence or glitch-- in the most recent list, the 787 entry is missing entirely from the "active" fleet list.

onesocalkid Feb 3, 2015 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24286974)
AA's 787 was showing recently as active in the fleet list (even though first flights are many weeks away and it's international service, months away.)

Things are obviously going slowly, and-- coincidence or glitch-- in the most recent list, the 787 entry is missing entirely from the "active" fleet list.

Saw it parked at A22 or A23 on Thursday 1/29...looked pretty impressive as we passed by on SkyLink going from C to B terminal. Those scalloped shaped engines make it an easy plane to spot.

relangford Feb 3, 2015 7:30 pm

in the most recent list, the 787 entry is missing entirely from the "active" fleet list
N800AN is showing as "active" on Airfleets.net as of today.

JonNYC Feb 3, 2015 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by relangford (Post 24287569)
N800AN is showing as "active" on Airfleets.net as of today.

My information is from AA directly and is obviously more current and more accurate. Dunno why this plane was listed in the 1/24 list as active and isn't now, but it's been removed. Could be a glitch, dunno (but doubt it,) or otherwise meaningless.

relangford Feb 3, 2015 10:59 pm

Could be a glitch, dunno (but doubt it,) or otherwise meaningless
Could it be AA is still "testing" it, so not technically "active"?

AA777 Feb 4, 2015 7:07 am

Originally Posted by steve64 (Post 24233880)
AA needs to be certified to operate the type under FAR121 (rules for scheduled airlines).
Currently they're probably operating under FAR91 ("generic" aviation regs, not able to carry paying passengers).

I worked AA Ops back when they started taking delivery of the MD-A-Lemon (aka, MD-11). Delivery of ship #1 only meant that pilot/mechanic training could start in "full force". Delivery of ship #2 stepped up the training and started the FAA certification. Sked service wasn't going to start until shortly after delivery of ship #3. Really hard to start sked service with only 1 or 2 aircraft (AA operated DFW-NRT for several years with a fleet of two 747SPs, it was quite a challenge).

AA had trouble getting FAA certification as they couldn't keep the 2 airplanes "in service" (not grounded due to mechanical problems) long enough to complete the certification flights. But that's getting off topic :p

Bringing back memories----MD-A-Lemon.....LMFAO, so long since I heard that....

Cheers,
AA777

JonNYC Feb 4, 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by relangford (Post 24288332)
Could it be AA is still "testing" it, so not technically "active"?

I don't really have a theory, per se-- could be regulatory/paperwork, technical etc and/or as described above. It -did- show as "active" when it was delivered and doesn't now, but maybe that's all part of it as well.

For sure there are some folks surprised by the delay in it's introduction into international flights, several months off. But, I'm sure we'll know more very shortly.

The first 2 overseas routes have been decided and are firm at this point.

Col Ronson Feb 4, 2015 11:26 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24290864)
I don't really have a theory, per se-- could be regulatory/paperwork, technical etc and/or as described above. It -did- show as "active" when it was delivered and doesn't now, but maybe that's all part of it as well.

For sure there are some folks surprised by the delay in it's introduction into international flights, several months off. But, I'm sure we'll know more very shortly.

Most AA/US employees have been denied access to seeing the plane at DFW as well. Still undergoing something with the FAA last i heard. think steve64 is spot on and its awaiting cert to fly pax.

Longboater Feb 4, 2015 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24290864)

Could we at least get a hint of those two overseas routes?

JDiver Feb 4, 2015 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 24291215)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...788-route.html

JonNYC Feb 4, 2015 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24291693)

But to be clear, the route mentioned in the OP is definitely not any longer accurate, wrong continent. One of your guesses was pretty darn good though!! ;)

Longboater Feb 4, 2015 2:05 pm

My guess of Asia is based on comments by American's CFO Derek Kerr found here. According to the fleet plan, there will be six Dreamliners on the property by the end of Q2, making DFW/ORD-Asia doable. http://leehamnews.com/2014/06/19/ame...-peak-banking/
Mods, please move this post to the other thread if it is more relevant there.

Col Ronson Feb 4, 2015 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 24291215)

Doug Parker, when giving his delivery speech for the 787, greatly mocked United and Smeisek. Expect AA's first 787 route to be a big middle finger to UA.

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 24291942)
My guess of Asia is based on comments by American's CFO Derek Kerr found here. According to the fleet plan, there will be six Dreamliners on the property by the end of Q2, making DFW/ORD-Asia doable. http://leehamnews.com/2014/06/19/ame...-peak-banking/
Mods, please move this post to the other thread if it is more relevant there.

You might be onto something here. If you really want to know which hub is going to get the 787s look to AA's latest actions and statements regarding expansions into certain areas of the world.

Longboater Feb 4, 2015 2:32 pm

Doug Parker, when giving his delivery speech for the 787, greatly mocked United and Smeisek. Expect AA's first 787 route to be a big middle finger to UA.
I think the hard product alone on AA's Dreamliner is a middle finger to United. United's Dreamliner has a laughably embarrassing interior that belongs in the 1990s. While American's new J class looks rather a bit grey, the mood lighting should solve this. Combined with the walk-up bar, American's Dreamliner blows United's out of the water. I think I know where you are going at with the Dreamliner's first routes. $misek better have something up his sleeve to compete with this.

JonNYC Feb 4, 2015 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 24292102)
I think the hard product alone on AA's Dreamliner is a middle finger to United. United's Dreamliner has a laughably embarrassing interior that belongs in the 1990s. While American's new J class looks rather a bit grey, the mood lighting should solve this. Combined with the walk-up bar, American's Dreamliner blows United's out of the water. I think I know where you are going at with the Dreamliner's first routes. $misek better have something up his sleeve to compete with this.

With great respect, I personally think you are overstating each and every point here-- greatly. Again, with respect and all, but, I don't see this AA 787 with it's new seats as ANY kind of "great game-changer" in any way, shape or form.

And since quite obviously one of these two inaugural 787 routes is to Asia, AA is still far inferior to almost every single one of it's Asian-flagged competitors (albeit, yes, with connection involved.)

Let's not get carried away, IMHO. :)

Longboater Feb 4, 2015 2:49 pm

Ah you're right Jon, just getting a bit carried away. Bad memories of United is what has me optimistic about American's feature, even with Parker at the helm.

Col Ronson Feb 4, 2015 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24292160)
With great respect, I personally think you are overstating each and every point here-- greatly. Again, with respect and all, but, I don't see this AA 787 with it's new seats as ANY kind of "great game-changer" in any way, shape or form.

And since quite obviously one of these two inaugural 787 routes is to Asia, AA is still far inferior to almost every single one of it's Asian-flagged competitors (albeit, yes, with connection involved.)

I am willing to forgo a decent food option for international wifi. Also i liked AA's IFE offerings on the 77W better than i did on CX's 77W. there were a lot more western film and TV options on AA while half of CX were chinese offerings (which makes sense).

CX most certainly did have better food than AA and the young asian flight crews put a high emphasis on service. The Last AA intl flight i was on, half the FAs were not wearing the proper uniforms and boasting apfa lanyards (which is against airline policy). Needless to say i reported those jack***** to the station manager so i'm sure they'll be in for a nice surprise.

JonNYC Feb 4, 2015 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 24292196)
Ah you're right Jon, just getting a bit carried away. Bad memories of United is what has me optimistic about American's feature, even with Parker at the helm.

Fair enough!! And thanks for taking my take on it in the spirit in which it was intended. I think 787 is cool, but I also think that novelty wears off very quickly, to a large degree. I flew A380 F on 2 different carriers this weekend (EK and TG) (as well as F on CX and JL on the same trip) and paid almost zero attention to the A380 factor when selecting the flights, whereas when the A380 was newer I was super-excited to fly it. I doubt 787's "thrill" even has that much left in it.

ShortDog Feb 5, 2015 3:29 pm

Just saw it parked at A23 at DFW.

JDiver Feb 5, 2015 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24292824)
Fair enough!! And thanks for taking my take on it in the spirit in which it was intended. I think 787 is cool, but I also think that novelty wears off very quickly, to a large degree. I flew A380 F on 2 different carriers this weekend (EK and TG) (as well as F on CX and JL on the same trip) and paid almost zero attention to the A380 factor when selecting the flights, whereas when the A380 was newer I was super-excited to fly it. I doubt 787's "thrill" even has that much left in it.

Not so much for the thrill, but for the quiet and for the 6,000 (vs. 8,000) ft cabin altitude as well as higher cabin humidity. Those are nice benefits. Otherwise, it's just an airplane with a "job" to do.

itchief Feb 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Back to the 787-8, ZA818 American Airlines 787-8 N801AC made its 2nd B2 - 2nd Boeing test flight - on Tuesday. After a couple of customer flights the second AA 787 will be on it's way to DFW.

here is a link to the latest picture of N801AC in flight.

http://kpae.blogspot.com

JonNYC Feb 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by itchief (Post 24328242)
Back to the 787-8, ZA818 American Airlines 787-8 N801AC made its 2nd B2 flight on Tuesday. After a couple of customer flights the second AA 787 will be on it's way to DFW.

Nice one!

http://painefield.info/images/kpae10986.png

Longboater Feb 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24328254)

Oh God is she hott. I swear only the New American livery makes the 787-8 look like the girl of your dreams. I can't wait to see the 787-9 next year.

Life_Platinum Feb 11, 2015 5:04 am

<redacted post>

Originally Posted by itchief (Post 24328242)
Back to the 787-8, ZA818 American Airlines 787-8 N801AC made its 2nd B2 - 2nd Boeing test flight - on Tuesday. After a couple of customer flights the second AA 787 will be on it's way to DFW.

The Puget Sound Boeing Test Flight board is reporting that N801AC will be going off to Charleston today. Others have reported that space is tight in Seattle because of the backlog of 787s that are out of the factory but have not been delivered.

carsnoceans Feb 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24292160)

Wasn't there a rumor about new routes on 787 to ME? Wonder if that's still sticking..

Phasers Feb 12, 2015 7:08 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 24336565)
Wasn't there a rumor about new routes on 787 to ME? Wonder if that's still sticking..

ME? As in Middle East?

What I wouldn't give for a nonstop DFW-BEY. I won't hold my breath though.

I'm just happy to be able to do it with one stop nowadays.

imapilotaz Feb 12, 2015 7:14 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 24336565)

I personally think its unlikely short term. AA is so late to the game and the local markets are relatively small, I just dont see it happening soon.

I would expect service to the South Pacific well before the middle east.