Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by JoePilot
Does anyone know when AA will release ANY award seat inventory on the Transcon JFK-LAX routes for next year? I am trying to book in May 2014 and nothing is available in any cabin (Y/J/F) as a mileage saver award.

I understand they are still swapping out aircraft on this route, but why allow AAnytime awards and no inventory for any mileage saver awards?

Frustrating......
Hi JoePilot,

Your thread has been merged into the consolidated thread on this topic. I understand that you believe this is a major route and the absence of MileSAAver awards is noteworthy enough for this to be its own thread. However, throughout MileSAAver award discussion (and lack thereof), many routes started out with NO awards available at all that ultimately had seats released.

While you may not agree to have your thread merged into the consolidated thread on this topic, we do this so that other members can search and find the topic more easily.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Co-moderator
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:42 pm

Did AA reduce business class award seats available on JFK-LAS route?

In the past, ime, AA used to release at least 2 business class seats on the nonstop JFK-LAS route, and I checked availability all the way to 11 months out and barring two days, only 1 seat was released. Is this a new change?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
In the past, ime, AA used to release at least 2 business class seats on the nonstop JFK-LAS route, and I checked availability all the way to 11 months out and barring two days, only 1 seat was released. Is this a new change?
As this is related to MileSAAver award availability, I've merged this question into the consolidated thread on this subject.

Note that FlyerTalk Guidelines & Rules require all users to search for an extant relevant thread before starting a new one. In this case, the thread was linked from the sticky "AWARD DESK: Information about AA, Partner, and oneworld Awards" at the top of the forum thread list on page one. Please ensure you're searching in future.

~Microwave
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:08 pm

Managed to snag 1 F seat next Tuesday SFO-LHR via SEA back on the 31st on BA at the milesaver rate. I've seen the surcharge stories and I'm getting whacked nearly $1300 ! I guess given I'm using less miles it's worth it but I would have to think twice if I was using Anytime F rewards.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sdix
Managed to snag 1 F seat next Tuesday SFO-LHR via SEA back on the 31st on BA at the milesaver rate. I've seen the surcharge stories and I'm getting whacked nearly $1300 ! I guess given I'm using less miles it's worth it but I would have to think twice if I was using Anytime F rewards.
Don't know how many miles you have but... if you took the AAnytime reward on your return, the AA LHR-LAX 77W is available on 8/31. Much better ride than those crap BA 744 (old or new) F seats and you save over $500 in fees.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sdix
There are no surcharges on AAnytime awards.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I am thinking of taking the family to CUN in July-August 2014. As far as I can see all economy awards are currently marked as anytime rewards at 60k each way. Am I doing anything wrong? I even tried looking into LHR-DFW or LHR-MIA (with the intention of checking sectors individually) but I am not seeing seats at 30k. Is that normal and perhaps due to the high season? Or is it too long in advance? There'll be 3 of us. Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I am thinking of taking the family to CUN in July-August 2014. As far as I can see all economy awards are currently marked as anytime rewards at 60k each way. Am I doing anything wrong? I even tried looking into LHR-DFW or LHR-MIA (with the intention of checking sectors individually) but I am not seeing seats at 30k. Is that normal and perhaps due to the high season? Or is it too long in advance? There'll be 3 of us. Thanks.
Likely due to it being high season. Some of August won't be loaded into the system yet, so keep checking. Bigger question is why you would want to go to CUN. So many nicer places that are closer to LHR.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by cme2c
Likely due to it being high season. Some of August won't be loaded into the system yet, so keep checking.
Thanks - will do!

Bigger question is why you would want to go to CUN. So many nicer places that are closer to LHR.
Well maybe we've explored some of them already. Also diving in Cozumel sounds pretty good too and so are SPG redemptions in Mexico. But please do feel free to suggest alternatives for a family beach holiday!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Well maybe we've explored some of them already. Also diving in Cozumel sounds pretty good too and so are SPG redemptions in Mexico. But please do feel free to suggest alternatives for a family beach holiday!
Wrong forum for that.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Thanks - will do!

We spent a week in CUN-CZM; diving in CZM is very good, but not much for kids to do otherwise, particularly when island is overrun with cruise ship passengers.

Florida Keys offer a wide range of family activities, easy access from MIA, FLL.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:02 pm

BA Surcharges or Hope for AA Award Ticket

For 2 award tickets in J class JFK-LHR-IST in June, the BA surcharges are over $2000 which is outrageous. However, there is no availability on any AA JFK-LHR flights around that time without using Anytime Miles. And searching other times of the year, such as October and January, there are no AA flights coming up either - only BA.

What are the chances of AA seats opening up? Or should I just pay the $2000 and get the BA seats while they are still available?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are prepared to pay the $1000 per ticket, I would book that now to guarantee having the trip and then keep an eye out / alert for availability on AA and get it reticketed if it becomes available
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:15 pm

How much are the taxes/fees on the AA ticket? How many miles are required for BA versus AA? If you have a Chase two for one certificate, BA award seats are more tolerable.

BA does have higher fees but much better availability as you have discovered.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by trebex
What are the chances of AA seats opening up? Or should I just pay the $2000 and get the BA seats while they are still available?
There's no way to know the chances of AA seats opening up. I'd guess the odds are good between now and June if you're flexible on dates, but I could easily be wrong. Are there other routings that might work for you?

Which would you regret more - paying the $2000 or waiting and seeing no availability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.