FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1623794-barclaycard-aadvantage-aviator-silver-red-cards-master-thread.html)

patrickf3 Jan 3, 2018 6:34 am

So to clarify the Red and Silver cannot be stacked right?

I have RED now and looking to maximize both EQD and EQM - I should switch to Silver ASAP correct?

apeortdz Jan 3, 2018 7:37 am

Correct.

rinipiyan Jan 6, 2018 7:38 am

Can Silver and Business be stacked together? That'd be $9k EQD in total

flyingmusicianlax Jan 6, 2018 7:51 am

Originally Posted by rinipiyan (Post 29257443)
Can Silver and Business be stacked together? That'd be $9k EQD in total

No.

brewdog11 Jan 6, 2018 10:55 am

Any recent reports of switching to Silver? I've had the card about two years now and I'm looking to convert -- it seems like a much better deal than the Citi cards at this point. Also, will my current spend toward EQD/EQM this year "switch over" from Red to Silver?

If not, I'm going to try to convert once I hit the EQD spend requirement this year.

TWA884 Jan 6, 2018 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11 (Post 29258008)
Any recent reports of switching to Silver? I've had the card about two years now and I'm looking to convert -- it seems like a much better deal than the Citi cards at this point. Also, will my current spend toward EQD/EQM this year "switch over" from Red to Silver?

I just received this offer:

Start off the new year by upgrading to a card that offers unparalleled benefits and luxury – the AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver World Elite Mastercard®.1 Enjoy valuable new benefits that extend beyond those included with your current card...

And, keep many of the benefits you already enjoy.Continue to earn miles on all your purchases with no limit to the AAdvantage® miles you can earn, preferred boarding, first checked bag free, no foreign transaction fees, 10% of your redeemed miles back and more!

It’s easy.Your account number and expiration date will stay the same. You’ll simply receive a new card (with more benefits) in the mail. Additionally, your existing account balance, transaction history and miles will be automatically transferred to your new, upgraded card.

brewdog11 Jan 6, 2018 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 29258311)
I just received this offer:

Good to know. Thank you!

scubadu Jan 6, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 29229899)
So with apologies, I'm going to ask a question which is a slight riff on the does the "spend tracker" carry over from Red to Silver. I've read the Wiki and most (but certainly not all) posts in this thread.

I completely understand that if one has the Red card and later upgrades to Silver the spending does follow the upgrade and you don't have to "start over." Got it.

In my case, I'm considering putting some rather substantial, time sensitive expenses on these cards (in 2018), but given the rather bizarre vagaries of getting the "invite" for the Silver it's possible I'll need to make the spend before I would be eligible for the Silver invite.

So, I'm curious if anyone has experience putting literally the entire $50K of spend all on the Red card, then down the line being upgraded to the Silver. In that case will you just magically (and automatically) be given the incremental benefits that come from the Silver card (i.e. the additional EQMs, the additional EQDs and the companion certificate)?

I know this has been sort of asked, but I haven't seen anyone speak to this specific scenario. Personally, I care little about AA RDMs, only the EQD/EQMs, so I'm hesitant to divert this amount of spend to this card without clarity of those items being granted. Particularly interested in first hand experiences, if there are any, as opposed to theoretical deductions or pointers to the T&Cs (I'm familiar with them)

Regards

Thought I'd try to bump once. No one on FT has tried this? (that would kind of suprise me)

Regards

deac83 Jan 6, 2018 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 29258742)
Thought I'd try to bump once. No one on FT has tried this? (that would kind of suprise me)

Regards

I just received my upgrade letter, which says 'You'll simply receive a new card with these enhanced benefits in the mail. additionally, your existing account balance, transaction history and miles will be automatically transferred to the new card'.

I'd recommend making a few calls since you have a unique situation. I talked to Barclay last year to confirm the terms and timing and they were pretty aware of the details.

Separately, I've had this card (red) since June, hit the 25k in Dec and received the UG offer the first week of January.

fly747first Jan 6, 2018 11:36 pm

I'd be careful with Barclay. They now have a policy that you can only be approved for the same card once every 24 months from the last time you closed your account. They won't approve you for a new card of the same product even if you are ok not receiving the welcome bonus; they just won't approve your application.

orvando Jan 8, 2018 5:22 pm

Aviator Platinum (Plutonium?)

just got off the phone with a sort of loony barclays agent who, when i voiced my displeasure with the Aviator Silver as compared with the Citi Exec (in at attempt to get a retention offer) mentioned that there is a new HIGHER annual fee barclays product, but would give me no further details as my account was not eligible to change to it. does anyone have a clue what she was talking about???

scubadu Jan 8, 2018 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by deac83 (Post 29259941)
I just received my upgrade letter, which says 'You'll simply receive a new card with these enhanced benefits in the mail. additionally, your existing account balance, transaction history and miles will be automatically transferred to the new card'.

I'd recommend making a few calls since you have a unique situation. I talked to Barclay last year to confirm the terms and timing and they were pretty aware of the details.

Separately, I've had this card (red) since June, hit the 25k in Dec and received the UG offer the first week of January.

Thanks. Something tells me if I call them, they will likely be unable to answer this question since even the vagaries of being offered the upgrade seem to be a mystery...

Regards

lkar Jan 9, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Snuggs (Post 29181126)

Be interested in your experience. Barclay is pretty clear that you earn in the calendar year the spend posts.

Just following up. I waited until 12/30 to go over $50,000 -- I held back a few dollars and then bought an amazon gift card on 12/30. The transaction posted on 1/3/18 with a transaction date of 12/30. When I go into my benefits page, it shows me having earned the second $3,000 EQDs, but they have not yet posted to my aa account (either for 2017 or for 2018). I am fully expecting when they post (if they post automatically) they will post for 2017, but we'll see (and obviously I'll update here).

pubsmeister Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 29271038)

Just following up. I waited until 12/30 to go over $50,000 -- I held back a few dollars and then bought an amazon gift card on 12/30. The transaction posted on 1/3/18 with a transaction date of 12/30. When I go into my benefits page, it shows me having earned the second $3,000 EQDs, but they have not yet posted to my aa account (either for 2017 or for 2018). I am fully expecting when they post (if they post automatically) they will post for 2017, but we'll see (and obviously I'll update here).

I hit the 50k spend threshold on 12/22. Still waiting for the EQD's to post. When I hit the 25k spend threshold in October it took 17 days for the EQD's to post. I'm now at 19 days. I know the web site says it can take 6-8 weeks but that was not my experience in the past. Like you, I presume the EQD's will go towards 2017 status- which is what I'm hoping, to get knocked into Platinum Pro.

G.RAES Jan 11, 2018 5:47 am

I received a reply from AAdvantage confirming that the bonus EQD for mileage earned in late 2017 be posted towards 2017 qualification; however, they appear to have been posted dating to my statement closing date, counting for the 2018 qualification year. I have asked if this could be revised.

FlyerBeek Jan 11, 2018 6:09 am

Originally Posted by G.RAES (Post 29278550)
I received a reply from AAdvantage confirming that the bonus EQD for mileage earned in late 2017 be posted towards 2017 qualification; however, they appear to have been posted dating to my statement closing date, counting for the 2018 qualification year. I have asked if this could be revised.

Please update us here on your progress. I was waiting for my final $3000 EQD for spend made in early-Dec (posted well before my Dec credit card statement closed). I was assured by AA and Barclay that it would count for 2017, but I just had $6000 EQD post for 2018.

-FlyerBeek

tennessetom Jan 11, 2018 6:11 am

Mine too were counted towards 2018 even though they were earned in early dec 2017 and I was told they would count towards 2017. Hopefully they can be revised

pubsmeister Jan 11, 2018 9:06 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 29278598)
Please update us here on your progress. I was waiting for my final $3000 EQD for spend made in early-Dec (posted well before my Dec credit card statement closed). I was assured by AA and Barclay that it would count for 2017, but I just had $6000 EQD post for 2018.

-FlyerBeek

Had exact same thing happen to me today. Will call AA later today. If anyone calls earlier please let us know the outcome, and give advice on how to proceed- what number to call, what to say, etc. to expedite correction. Thanks.

dekeuk Jan 11, 2018 9:40 am

EQD Dating Issues with barclaycard

I have suffered from the same issue. My last purchase on December 29, 2017 crossed the $25,000 threshold. The Barclaycard website shows that I achieved the goal for 2017, My EQDs posted to AA's website today and it shows 3,000 EQD for 2018. Reading the rules, it should not work this way, but will be curious to hear if others manage to correct this situation. Will try calling later.

lkar Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am

This is hilarious -- my EQD posted today to 2017, but unlike you guys I wanted them to count for 2018 and was hoping to time things so that what happened to you guys would happen to me. But they didn't! Anyway, here's my datapoint.

12/30/17 -- crossed $50,000.
1/3/18 -- the charge that crossed the $50,000 posted to my barclays account
Today (1/11/18) -- the EQD posted to aa.com, with a posting date of 12/31/17. My EQD for this year remain the same, but my EQD for 2017 has increased $3,000.

FlightNurse Jan 11, 2018 9:55 am

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 29279494)
This is hilarious -- my EQD posted today to 2017, but unlike you guys I wanted them to count for 2018 and was hoping to time things so that what happened to you guys would happen to me. But they didn't! Anyway, here's my datapoint.

12/30/17 -- crossed $50,000.
1/3/18 -- the charge that crossed the $50,000 posted to my barclays account
Today (1/11/18) -- the EQD posted to aa.com, with a posting date of 12/31/17. My EQD for this year remain the same, but my EQD for 2017 has increased $3,000.

I think others besides myself told you that the spend in 2017 will not count towards 2018. since everything is reset at 2018.

lkar Jan 11, 2018 10:54 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29279533)
I think others besides myself told you that the spend in 2017 will not count towards 2018. since everything is reset at 2018.

Yeah, you did and I assumed you'd be right -- but there was no downside to trying it. And, from the datapoints above, it seems like it did credit for many in 2018. Whether it will be reversed or not, who knows.

But there was virtually no downside to my waiting and giving it a shot.

dekeuk Jan 11, 2018 11:56 am

I emailed Barclaycard and they responded that they are aware (as is American) that this is a problem and they opened a case for me. It sounds like it could take a while to resolve. They also indicated that it could impact my earning of EQD in 2018 for the calendar year - however, I assume that will be corrected once the error is reversed.

I also spoke to American who said that I needed to resolve this with Barclaycard by asking them to send American instructions to treat the award as a 2017 award.

BookerNYC Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dekeuk (Post 29280062)
I emailed Barclaycard and they responded that they are aware (as is American) that this is a problem and they opened a case for me. It sounds like it could take a while to resolve. They also indicated that it could impact my earning of EQD in 2018 for the calendar year - however, I assume that will be corrected once the error is reversed.

I also spoke to American who said that I needed to resolve this with Barclaycard by asking them to send American instructions to treat the award as a 2017 award.

I also had 2017 EQDs post for 2018, which is fine with me (didn't need them for 2017 requalification). So now I have to wait and hope they don't fix it? LOL.

tennessetom Jan 11, 2018 1:14 pm

I was told that it will be fixed for everyone and it should take no more than a week

G.RAES Jan 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Very helpful AAdvantage agent said that I was the second person to call about this problem on her shift today. She started a ticket, took some information about the Barclaycard account, and advised that they would have to go back to Barclaycard and request that the bonus EQD be re-sent. She suggested that a resolution should come within 7-10 business days.

I separately reached out to Barclaycard, who did not appear to understand the question and merely copy-pasted the terms of the EQD offer as given in the card application.

pubsmeister Jan 12, 2018 5:56 am

Originally Posted by G.RAES (Post 29280831)
Very helpful AAdvantage agent said that I was the second person to call about this problem on her shift today. She started a ticket, took some information about the Barclaycard account, and advised that they would have to go back to Barclaycard and request that the bonus EQD be re-sent. She suggested that a resolution should come within 7-10 business days.

I separately reached out to Barclaycard, who did not appear to understand the question and merely copy-pasted the terms of the EQD offer as given in the card application.

At least for me this was fixed overnight. Date of credit changed to 12/31/17 (from 1/8/18) and EQD amount changed to $3000, instead of $6000. Info now correct on-line.

jdgarrido Jan 12, 2018 6:44 am

Originally Posted by pubsmeister (Post 29283241)
At least for me this was fixed overnight. Date of credit changed to 12/31/17 (from 1/8/18) and EQD amount changed to $3000, instead of $6000. Info now correct on-line.

Mine was also fixed overnight. The EQDs where change to 2017 instead of 2018

flyingmusicianlax Jan 12, 2018 6:58 am

Same here. 3k EQD and 5k EQM now posted in 2017. The beautiful thing is I had 145k EQMs in 2017, so now I have 150k and two extra SWUs. :D

FlyerBeek Jan 12, 2018 7:17 am

My EDQ issues also appears to have been fixed overnight. The EQDs that were showing in my 2018 tracker have now been moved to 2017. The January 8th EQD entry in my AAdvantage account activity has been removed, and there's now a December 31st EQD entry.

-FlyerBeek

lkar Jan 12, 2018 8:04 am

My EQD for 2017 disappeared overnight! I show an entry in activity for 12/31, but only for 1 bonus mile and now show $3,000 fewer EQD for 2017. And none for 2018 above what I have earned for flying. I seem to be zigging while the rest of you are zagging.

jtav559 Jan 12, 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11 (Post 29258008)

If not, I'm going to try to convert once I hit the EQD spend requirement this year.

I called in mid Dec about my annual fee posting. Was waved without much hassle. A bonus spending offer for 5k miles after 1k spending was mentioned. I asked about the Silver card as well, upgrade offer was available. I could either take the bonus offer or the upgrade offer, but not both at the same time or one after the other. Apparently, Barclays will only give offers once every 90 days. Or they "refresh" in your account that often. So my accepting of the bonus miles has limited my ability to upgrade from Red to Silver. I called again last week, still no upgrade offer.

But since spending rolls over, I will just plug along in early 2018 on the Red card and MS that at a steady rate, and likely upgrade sometime later in the year to Silver when that offer is available again. Easy enough!

jtav559 Jan 12, 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by orvando (Post 29267425)
just got off the phone with a sort of loony barclays agent who, when i voiced my displeasure with the Aviator Silver as compared with the Citi Exec (in at attempt to get a retention offer) mentioned that there is a new HIGHER annual fee barclays product, but would give me no further details as my account was not eligible to change to it. does anyone have a clue what she was talking about???

Not one clue. But I would certainly tie her "loony" demeanor with the equally loony idea that another AA card product from Barclays would come out. I don't think it makes much sense for Barclays to offer another higher card level when the silver is already , IMHO, a better card than the Citi Exec when you take the AC access out of the picture. It was my understanding that Citi had the exclusive on the AC access benefit? Not sure how Barclays could also offer that access on this supposed super premium card. Maybe I am mis-remembering that fact.

But, if some other small rumblings of AA moving away from Citi are true, an AA card from Barclays with AC access would likely happen.

All that said, if 100k sign up bonus is offered on this mythical new card, you bet I will be getting it to churn :D:D:D

fordpickup Jan 16, 2018 8:57 am

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 29283680)
My EQD for 2017 disappeared overnight! I show an entry in activity for 12/31, but only for 1 bonus mile and now show $3,000 fewer EQD for 2017. And none for 2018 above what I have earned for flying. I seem to be zigging while the rest of you are zagging.

I'm still waiting for my EQM to post. Just spoke with Barclay today and they said they were super sorry; it would be an additional 7-10 days. I can't imagine they'd be as chill about missing deadlines if it was me missing my payment date.

TWA884 Jan 16, 2018 9:26 am

Wrong thread

orvando Jan 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by jtav559 (Post 29284077)
But, if some other small rumblings of AA moving away from Citi are true, an AA card from Barclays with AC access would likely happen. All that said, if 100k sign up bonus is offered on this mythical new card, you bet I will be getting it to churn :D:D:D

i wonder if the agent was referring to one of the Luxury Card products. has anyone ever been offered a product change to one of those from an AA product?

TheAJ Jan 28, 2018 1:59 pm

I didn't receive my 10K Aviator Red cardmember anniversary bonus this year, which have received for the last two years since conversion. I was under the impression that I was grandfathered in from the original US Airways mastercard anniversary policy. I also notice that others are still receiving 10K. Any idea why this would have changed for me?

Biggie Fries Jan 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Not really. The one card in our household that is grandfathered in came through with the 10,000 miles, right on schedule, a little less than two weeks ago. So I doubt that what has happened to you is system wide. Has your AF hit? I would call in.

355F1 Feb 22, 2018 10:59 pm

In regard to asking for a CLI, the consensus on the internet for Barclay's seems to be 6 months.

Does anyone know if that means:

6 months from the approval date?
6 months from the First Statement?
Or, The 6th statement?

Card Approved 9-2-17
First statement that shows on my account is 9-21-17 but states "no transactions" meaning, I didn't pay my annual fee until after 9-21 statement.
First statement with any transactions is 10-22-17

I was hoping for an auto-CLI after yesterday's statement (2-22-17), but I am going to go big and request a Hard Pull for even more. They started me at $9,600 but I am trying to get to $25k as my taxes are due soon and I usually put them on my DL AMEX, but I switched most of my flying to AA now.

FlightNurse Feb 23, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 29448827)
In regard to asking for a CLI, the consensus on the internet for Barclay's seems to be 6 months.

Does anyone know if that means:

6 months from the approval date?
6 months from the First Statement?
Or, The 6th statement?

Card Approved 9-2-17
First statement that shows on my account is 9-21-17 but states "no transactions" meaning, I didn't pay my annual fee until after 9-21 statement.
First statement with any transactions is 10-22-17

I was hoping for an auto-CLI after yesterday's statement (2-22-17), but I am going to go big and request a Hard Pull for even more. They started me at $9,600 but I am trying to get to $25k as my taxes are due soon and I usually put them on my DL AMEX, but I switched most of my flying to AA now.

Barclay doesn't do auto CLI, I've had mine for over 7 yrs (US Card) and all of my CLI I've had to ask for it, and yes, it is a hard pull.