Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: All NRT-HND or v.v. connection issues and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ALL NRT / Tokyo Narita & HND / Tokyo Haneda Connection Issues

Tokyo Narita is actually nearer to Chiba City in Chiba Prefecture. Haneda is Tokyo's older (more recently restricted to domestic) airport, recently expanded and once again international airport, south of Tokyo at the bay.

MCT should be planned at no less than 4:00. Passengers must recover their checked baggage at the arriving airport and check it in at the departure airport.

Transport includes private cars (¥19,000 and up) or taxis (¥23,500 daytime, ¥29,300 night), Limousine Bus (much more reasonable, direct, about 1:30) or train (1:45).

The Airport Limousine Bus is one (my preferred) option:.

By Limousine Bus bus: Direct, 90 minutes, 2-4 connections per hour
Limousine buses between Haneda Airport and Narita Airport operate every 15 to 30 minutes. The one way journey takes about 60-90 minutes and costs ¥3,100 yen (but traffic could result in a 2:00 ride).
The other (see here on Japan Guide) is

By direct Keisei/Keikyu train: Direct, 105 minutes, ¥1,800 yen, 1-2 connections per hour
Direct limited express trains connect Tokyo's two airports approximately every 40 minutes except in the late afternoons and evenings. The one way journey takes around 105 minutes and costs 1800 yen. The direct trains are known as "Access Express" or "Airport Kaitoku".
AA awards and paid tickets allow up to 23:59 for international connections such as this, so it is a viable option. Awards can be single awards if Japan is allowed as a connection point and the most significant carrier sells an on instructed ticket for the prospective award. See AA oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Award information, rules (2015 on) for more information.

Separate tickets on separate airlines, particularly if out of alliance, may be cancelled if flights are missed; give yourself plenty of time.

If overnighting, NRT has an abundance of hotels that offer competitive prices and airport (and Narita-Shi / town) shuttle busses. HND has few hotels, including one within the domestic terminal, at generally higher prices.
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: All NRT-HND or v.v. connection issues and questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I have an AA award on JAL-JAL

15:55 arrival HND, 19:30 departure from NRT

Checkin time for first is 18:45

So we have 2 hours 45, to pass through immigration/baggage/customs + take a bus that comes every 20-30 mins (that goes for 1 hour 30).

I assume we are protected if we miss the connection?

Oh wow, so there isn't actually a bus between 16:10 and 17:20 ! Amazing for Japan.
Attached Images  

Last edited by davem4; Sep 3, 2016 at 10:56 pm
Old Sep 4, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Question on this: I have a single ticket/reservation that includes an NRT->HND overnight transit (below 24 hours).

If I take the bus to HND directly from NRT, will I be allowed to check my bags with JL that evening (ie the day before my 9am flight the next day)?

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by alexwuk
If I take the bus to HND directly from NRT, will I be allowed to check my bags with JL that evening (ie the day before my 9am flight the next day)?
In my experience, no. When I've been in your situation before with an evening arrival into NRT and early morning HND departure, I've stayed overnight at an upscale "capsule" hotel located in HND Terminal 1 (First Cabin Haneda - http://www.first-cabin.jp.e.jr.hp.tr...terminal1.html). I've found this to be the easiest option since you're already at the airport instead of trying to do a quick overnight somewhere in Tokyo.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
What would you do? (NRT-HND transfer or HND connection on JL)

I have a decision to make which is proving surprisingly difficult, so I thought I'd ask my esteemed FT friends. I am going from USA to SE Asia, and my two best OneWorld options have me connecting in Tokyo (no major surprise so far) -

(1) Take AA flight to NRT, then switch airports and fly from HND.

Pro: Possibility of SWU upgrade.
Con: Certainty of airport transfer hassle. I'll have to carry the luggage too and check in again. Also, the fare is about $50 more.

(2) Take a JL flight to HND. Luggage transferred automatically. A few hours in the lounge and I am off.

Pro: No transfer needed. Luggage transferred automatically. About $50 cheaper.
Con: Can't use my SWU.

I would pick the upgrade if it was reasonably sure. However, AA has been rather unreliable about that lately, so an upgrade is merely a possibility. On the other hand the hassle of transferring to HND with luggage is a certainly. So is the fare difference, though small.

How would you call this choice?

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 24, 2017 at 12:58 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would fly the third option: AA from ORD to LAX, followed by AA to HND, and then the connecting flight to destination. Possibility of upgrade still exists, and no airport transfer.
Jaimito Cartero and aktchi like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I would fly the third option: AA from ORD to LAX, followed by AA to HND, and then the connecting flight to destination. Possibility of upgrade still exists, and no airport transfer.
Thanks for your input. It did make me wonder why I had excluded this option, so did ITA from scratch again. Here is the reason: This one involves first an overnight at LAX, then a 10 hour connection at HND. At the face of it, seems less attractive than the NRT-HND transfer.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I'd go with Option #1 , even though the upgrade is not assured, because it at least gives me a chance at an upgrade. This assumes I am comfortable with the length of the connection time in TYO, though. As long as I feel I have enough time to connect, I'd be okay doing so. I find immigration/customs at NRT to be very efficient, and there are frequent Friendly buses (approximate every 10-20 minutes) from NRT to HND.
aktchi likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Will you have an opportunity to burn the SWU at a later time?

No - then I would take option #1 .

Yes - If it's more of a MR with holiday, I would take option #1 , but if it was for business or a planned vacation, then I would take option #2 .

No right or wrong answer either way. If you can book it through AA then either option is a valid connection.
aktchi likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The degree of hassle in a NRT-HND connection may be less than you think, as long as you have the time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
aktchi likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I'm confused here... I am not aware of any airports in the US that has AA flights to NRT and JL flights to HND? IIRC both AA and JL fly to NRT from ORD.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:55 am

My comments in BLUE.

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Will you have an opportunity to burn the SWU at a later time?

Yes, but those are likely to be shorter flights (LHR at most).

No right or wrong answer either way. If you can book it through AA then either option is a valid connection.

Yes both options are available via AA.com as well as OTAs.

I certainly have all the information about both choices. Just wanted to see how others would feel about the trade-off between uncertainty of upgrade v certainty of extra hassle.

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 24, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I think this one chalks up to personal opinion really.

I fly alone and usually with a small carry on, so I really don't mind those airport transfers - in fact, I usually enjoy scheduling a 10-12 hour TYO day transfer from NRT to HND or v.v. and then go into town, store my luggage at a locker for the day in one of the big JR stations (like $4) and then enjoy the whole day exploring and eating in Tokyo before heading back to the airport. Breaks up usually two long flights (KUL-NRT or MNL-NRT and then HND-LAX). Obviously easier to get to HND too at the end of afternoon. I'd def do the transfer and try to bag the SWU

That being said - if you were traveling with lots of luggage; with kids or others - I'd probably just take the easy route. JL service is fantastic even in Economy or Prem Economy. I've sometimes had better service on JL Y than AA J; although obviously every other part of AA J experience blows Y out of the water
aktchi likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ty97
I'd go with Option #1 , even though the upgrade is not assured, because it at least gives me a chance at an upgrade. This assumes I am comfortable with the length of the connection time in TYO, though. As long as I feel I have enough time to connect, I'd be okay doing so. I find immigration/customs at NRT to be very efficient, and there are frequent Friendly buses (approximate every 10-20 minutes) from NRT to HND.
Originally Posted by JDiver
The degree of hassle in a NRT-HND connection may be less than you think, as long as you have the time.
Thank you and I am certainly leaning this way. After all I worked hard all year to earn EXP and its reduced number of SWUs, and US-Japan is one of the better uses.

The "hassle" of NRT-HND transfer consists of two parts: (1) As an Indian citizen, I'll have to get transit visa. Not a big deal, there is a consulate in Chicago itself, and IIRC from the last time the visa costs all of $1, so the issue is mainly laziness. (2) I will have a checked bag that I'll have to fetch and carry to HND. While this makes the trains less attractive, bus should be ok.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: LH HON
I've done the airport transfer from NRT-HND a couple of times. It is super easy and straightforward. After clearing immigration and customs, you can already buy the coach ticket to HND airport within the arrival hall itself. Then just follow the signs to the bus stop number, where one of the employees will take care of your luggage. The ride is about 60 minutes in non-peak hour and upon leaving the bus at HND international terminal, it takes you roughly 150 meters to the JAL check-in.
aktchi likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by shd9
I'm confused here... I am not aware of any airports in the US that has AA flights to NRT and JL flights to HND? IIRC both AA and JL fly to NRT from ORD.
My apologies. I was focusing on who will be the main carrier, and not so much on the routing itself. In this case, my best choices (from other criteria like fare and schedule) will be ORD-NRT and ORD-SFO-HND.

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 24, 2017 at 11:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.