FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/161519-faq-skipping-segment-hidden-city-point-beyond-throw-away-ticketing-master-thd.html)

JJeffrey Jan 24, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler (Post 27810550)
A friend and his girlfriend (no FF status with AA) have booked a RT NYC-OMA-NYC (via ORD both directions). He just found out that for business reasons, he needs to stay in ORD for a day more so he wants to skip the final ORD-NYC segment, but his girlfriend would fly as ticketed. The fee to change the return for him is $200 plus fare difference, but he says he can buy a OW ORD-NYC the next day for less than $100.

He asked my advice, ordinarily, I would just say skip the final segment just this one time (he doesn't even have an AA FF flyer number), but he and his girlfriend are on the same rec locator. My guess is that the gate agent would notice his no-show but his companion boarding and come on board as a courtesy and ask where he is. He'd rather not put her is this position. If they were on separate reservations, this would not happen. Is there some way that he could split them into 2 record locators in advance so this would not be an issue?

Sure, just have him call AA and ask to split their reservation into 2 PNRs. He might want to wait and do this after their outbound segments, so they'll still be listed together for that.

LondonElite Jan 24, 2017 10:17 am

Or just leave it as is. The chance of anyone saying anything is close to zero. If someone does, the answer is 'he's really sick and can't get on this flight.'

hfnole Jan 27, 2017 11:34 am

I have a MIA-MAD-DOH-CAI flight sold by Qatar Airways. The MIA-MAD portion is operated by AA. MAD-DOH-CAI is operated by Qatar Airways. I am not planing on taking the MAD-DOH flight. If I check in bags will they be checked all the way through to Doha or Cairo? Or will I get my bags and clear customs with them in Madrid?

Also, I have my AA frequent flyer number for this flight. Have any of you had problems losing miles in a hidden city flight situation when the other flights are operated by a partner airline?

Is there any chance that AA would credit me the miles for the Qatar flights of MAD-DOH-CAI if I didn't take them? Have any of you had luck being credited for flights you paid for but didn't take with partner airlines? The MAD-DOH-CAI are business class flights so it would be great if I could earn these miles.

JJeffrey Jan 27, 2017 11:39 am

Originally Posted by hfnole (Post 27825953)
I have a MIA-MAD-DOH-CAI flight sold by Qatar Airways. The MIA-MAD portion is operated by AA. MAD-DOH-CAI is operated by Qatar Airways. I am not planing on taking the MAD-DOH flight. If I check in bags will they be checked all the way through to Doha or Cairo? Or will I get my bags and clear customs with them in Madrid?

Also, I have my AA frequent flyer number for this flight. Have any of you had problems losing miles in a hidden city flight situation when the other flights are operated by a partner airline?

Is there any chance that AA would credit me the miles for the Qatar flights of MAD-DOH-CAI if I didn't take them? Have any of you had luck being credited for flights you paid for but didn't take with partner airlines? The MAD-DOH-CAI are business class flights so it would be great if I could earn these miles.

If you check bags they will be checked all the way to CAI, although depending on your layover time it might be possible to short check them to MAD only. You will have no trouble earning miles for the MIA-MAD segment that you fly, but you will not earn miles for the segments that you skip. There's no way around this, if there were then obviously everyone would be doing it.

JDiver Jan 27, 2017 12:45 pm

I'd recommend not checking, or perhaps shipping or couriering, your bag. There would not be an opportunity to recover your bag for Spanish customs as it would be through checked, and unless you have a very long connection in MAD it's unlikely AA would short check.

As for miles, QR fails to report flown flights to AA possibly 10-20% of the time, so I think collecting EQD, EQM, RDM credit for the unflown (b.p. not read in at the gate) flights would be highly unlikely. In fact not showing for your MAD QR flight will likely result in your ensuing flight being cancelled.

Global321 Jan 27, 2017 2:07 pm

I have a MIA-MAD-DOH-CAI flight sold by Qatar Airways. The MIA-MAD portion is operated by AA. MAD-DOH-CAI is operated by Qatar Airways. I am not planing on taking the MAD-DOH flight. ...

I assuming this is a one way. If you don't fly MAD-DOH the rest of the ticket will be canceled.

As for the checked/bags/earning, the experts here have covered it already.

flyerCO Jan 27, 2017 5:15 pm

No you won't get miles for unflown flights. Also yourDOH-CAI flight will be cancelled when you miss MAD-DOH. You won't be able to fly to CAI without paying for a new ticket. Your bags will tag to CAI unless there's a long enough break for them to force you to pick them up at connection.

hfnole Jan 29, 2017 5:15 pm

thank you all for your help. This is a return flight from a flight I am took back to the US 4 months ago. And yes I understand the rest of the flight will be cancelled once I don't take the MAD-DOH flight.

One last question, what constitutes as a long layover so that I could short check my bags? Does the layover need to be overnight?

WolfvanWeen Jan 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Overnight is obviously less problematic to argue. Less depends on your story, charms and luck.
Airport change is my favourite, by the way.

HGF Feb 9, 2017 9:54 pm

Sorry in advance for all the abstraction, but I think AA could figure out who I am if I post all of the actual cities in here based on how specific this is. All segments are on AA unless otherwise noted.

I currently have a ticket booked through AA from AAA-BBB-CCC where BBB is a stopover and BBB-CCC is on a Oneworld partner. Call this Ticket 1
I also have on a separate ticket booked through AA CCC-DDD-EEE all on AA flights departing the day after flying BBB-CCC. I am already going to be throwing away DDD-EEE. Call this Ticket 2
I want to change BBB-CCC to the next day due to a friend meeting up with me in BBB. The change fee alone on Ticket 1 is more than the cost of booking a separate ticket for BBB-CCC on a different airlinee, so I want to just throw away BBB-CCC on Ticket 1 and book the other ticket.
​​​1. Should I be concerned about AA noticing me throwing away BBB-CCC on Ticket 1 and then the next day also throwing away DDD-EEE on Ticket 2?

Additionally, after taking the trip above, I also have a ticket booked through AA in the near future from AAA-FFF-GGG-FFF-AAA where I only plan on only flying AAA-FFF (the RT to GGG was way cheaper than just a OW or a RT to FFF). FFF-GGG-FFF is on a Oneworld partner. Call this Ticket 3
I then have a separate award ticket FFF-AAA ticket that departs after my thrown away segments in Ticket 3. Call this Ticket 4
2. Should I be concerned about AA cancelling Ticket 4 if I throwaway 3/4 segments on Ticket 3?
3. Should I also be concerned about AA noticing a pattern after doing throwaway ticketing on 3 tickets within 2 months and twice in 2 days? These trips will be the first time I have ever thrown away any segments.

Global321 Feb 10, 2017 5:36 am

Originally Posted by HGF (Post 27889866)
Sorry in advance for all the abstraction, but I think AA could figure out who I am if I post all of the actual cities in here based on how specific this is. All segments are on AA unless otherwise noted.

I currently have a ticket booked through AA from AAA-BBB-CCC where BBB is a stopover and BBB-CCC is on a Oneworld partner. Call this Ticket 1
I also have on a separate ticket booked through AA CCC-DDD-EEE all on AA flights departing the day after flying BBB-CCC. I am already going to be throwing away DDD-EEE. Call this Ticket 2
I want to change BBB-CCC to the next day due to a friend meeting up with me in BBB. The change fee alone on Ticket 1 is more than the cost of booking a separate ticket for BBB-CCC on a different airlinee, so I want to just throw away BBB-CCC on Ticket 1 and book the other ticket.
​​​1. Should I be concerned about AA noticing me throwing away BBB-CCC on Ticket 1 and then the next day also throwing away DDD-EEE on Ticket 2?

Additionally, after taking the trip above, I also have a ticket booked through AA in the near future from AAA-FFF-GGG-FFF-AAA where I only plan on only flying AAA-FFF (the RT to GGG was way cheaper than just a OW or a RT to FFF). FFF-GGG-FFF is on a Oneworld partner. Call this Ticket 3
I then have a separate award ticket FFF-AAA ticket that departs after my thrown away segments in Ticket 3. Call this Ticket 4
2. Should I be concerned about AA cancelling Ticket 4 if I throwaway 3/4 segments on Ticket 3?
3. Should I also be concerned about AA noticing a pattern after doing throwaway ticketing on 3 tickets within 2 months and twice in 2 days? These trips will be the first time I have ever thrown away any segments.

Really?!?! You dont want to include any airport codes. Seems you are flying... YOU-ARE-REA-LLY-PAR-ANO-ID and back. :rolleyes:

JonNYC Feb 10, 2017 6:42 am

Originally Posted by HGF (Post 27889866)

My feeling is XXX about the ZZZ portion-- could lead to ABC or even 123!

HGF Feb 10, 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 27890741)
Really?!?! You dont want to include any airport codes. Seems you are flying... YOU-ARE-REA-LLY-PAR-ANO-ID and back. :rolleyes:

Yes I am, but in all honesty it wouldn't be too hard for an AA employee to do a DB query to find all users who are flying those segments and the more specific it is, the more it narrows it down.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
My feeling is XXX about the ZZZ portion-- could lead to ABC or even 123!

If no one is even going to try to answer this seriously, I'll repost with all the segments. I'm mostly concerned with the dumping of segments 2 days in a row. I'd rather AA not freeze my account and miles.

JonNYC Feb 10, 2017 8:06 am

Originally Posted by HGF (Post 27891129)
...If no one is even going to try to answer this seriously,

how -could- they??

HGF Feb 10, 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27891146)
how -could- they??

What do you mean? Do you really need actual city pairs to give an informed answer? I don't see how the specific city pairs matters. Would it make any difference if you repeatedly throw away dca-lga vs dfw-ord?