FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/161519-faq-skipping-segment-hidden-city-point-beyond-throw-away-ticketing-master-thd.html)

Palal Mar 7, 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 28003290)
Only to some places (like Europe). Thankfully Asia routes seem exempt for the most part.

Even that's changing with DY. TP, for example, has started doing one-ways.

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 28003343)
Surprised at the naivité of the posts here. This scam has existed for decades, ever since de-regulation of domestic fares. And it's only gotten more popular with the ending of restrictions that made one-way fares more expensive than returns (with Saturday overnights).

How is it a scam?

aztimm Mar 7, 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 28003484)
$221 is the "anytime" fare today for flights SFO-LAX today
If you don't mind the drive, it is possible to get a reasonable car price, especially if you have a corporate rate that has no drop fee

Especially if you'll be renting a car anyway once there.

Maybe I missed it, but what routing did the Gate Agent offer the OP in lieu of SFO-LAX-LAS?

A few years ago, I was doing a mileage run, MCO-PHL-BOS-PHX, and there was a flight cancel or something that happened for the PHL-BOS leg. They tried to route me back on PHL-PHX, but I told them I had planned to meet a friend at BOS, and had 2 hours or so there. So they booked me on another PHL-BOS, and on my original BOS-PHX (just a few minutes had gone by so I managed to keep my seat for BOS-PHX).

guv1976 Mar 7, 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by woolfson (Post 28002729)
It was bound to happen. BUSTED.

I got busted by the American Airlines gate agent this evening in San Francisco trying to skip-leg to Los Angeles on a SFO --> LAX --> LAS flight. (Basically, buying a ticket to a destination that you have no intention upon going to - so that you can get off at the connection point and achieve a much lower price on an otherwise unaffordable flight.)

So. A delayed flight.

I said "but I'm meeting up with a friend in L.A."

The gate agent said "Hey, I know what you're doing, you have no intention on going to Las Vegas. You're not allowed to do that. I'm going to need to put you on a different flight to get you to Vegas since your flight's delayed!"

So I had to ditch the flight and drive to LA and basically forfeit the ticket. And she also seemed to write some choice things into the PNR when she took me off the flight.

I'm writing this because - if you do skip leg - be prepared for the occasional epic fail. And it was sort of a hilariously humbling experience.

Was the delay sufficient to qualify for a refund of the fare?

Proudelitist Mar 7, 2017 9:41 am

Hidden City Ticketing is one of those things that you can only get away with once in a long while on an airline you don't fly often. Do it regularly, and odds are good they will catch up to you fast. It only takes one forced gate check or cancelled/rerouted flight to get you into a mess.

Often1 Mar 7, 2017 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 28003748)
Even that's changing with DY. TP, for example, has started doing one-ways.

How is it a scam?

It is a violation of AA's COC:

#1 - To purchase a ticket which at the time purchased you do not intend to fly
#2 - To engage in hidden city ticketing

The issue for OP is what exactly OP entered in the PNR notes and whether AA will take any other action against OP as a result.

OP does not list any status with AA, so it is not apparent that there is significant action against his FFP to be undertaken.

jordyn Mar 7, 2017 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist (Post 28003869)
Hidden City Ticketing is one of those things that you can only get away with once in a long while on an airline you don't fly often. Do it regularly, and odds are good they will catch up to you fast.

I've hardly ever heard of it being a problem for anyone, actually.

It only takes one forced gate check or cancelled/rerouted flight to get you into a mess.
This is true. You should definitely think about your options if it doesn't work out. In OP's case, driving back to LAX from LAS might not be that much worse than the drive down from SFO, so he probably had the balance of risks correct.

I don't know if I've ever intentionally booked a hidden city ticket, but my travel plans often (a few times per year) change such that I don't want/need the last segments of an itinerary, and have never run into trouble as a result.

JDiver Mar 7, 2017 10:21 am

No airline uses the term "skip-legging", nor has it been used in this forum as far as we know; the term is "hidden city of point beyond ticketing", and we have merged the new thread into the existing one. As the Wikipost at the top of the page indicates, the procedure is specifically mentioned and a violation of the AA Conditions of Carriage.

/Moderator

JonNYC Mar 7, 2017 10:44 am

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 28004028)
I've hardly ever heard of it being a problem for anyone, actually.

Which has minimal correlation to how often it -has- been a problem for serial-offenders.

C17PSGR Mar 7, 2017 10:44 am

Seems to me the latest poster could have said something along the lines of ....

1. I really want to connect in LAX because if I can't get to LAS tonight then I have friends there I can over night with.
2. If I get to LAX and can't get out, worst case scenario is I can rent a car and drive to LAS from there.
3. Who knows what is happening with the LAS flight, I'll worry about any misconnect when I get to LAX.

Seems to me there are likely to be a lot of pax stressing over a misconnect and its odd that the agent would worry about someone who isn't actually asking about anything.

Ldnn1 Mar 7, 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 28004176)
Seems to me the latest poster could have said something along the lines of ....

1. I really want to connect in LAX because if I can't get to LAS tonight then I have friends there I can over night with.
2. If I get to LAX and can't get out, worst case scenario is I can rent a car and drive to LAS from there.
3. Who knows what is happening with the LAS flight, I'll worry about any misconnect when I get to LAX.

Well, of course all of those would be lies.

brewdog11 Mar 7, 2017 10:52 am

Presumptuous GAs aside, the OP did not get "busted" because he didn't do anything wrong (he didn't even fly). He/she should request a refund on account of the departure delay if he's willing to "rock the boat" a little more and not worry about what the AAgent wrote in his PNR. IMHO, OP should just have politely stuck to the "I want the routing I paid for" story on grounds that he was meeting a companion at LAX. I've done this numerous times at DFW when going from domestic to international. This is very common.

When my layover time is ample, I will say that I have a meeting in Admirals Club of the connecting city (sometimes a true story). People pay to fly specific routes and avoid specific airports for a number of legitimate reasons, and most airline staff understand and respect that.

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 28003810)
A few years ago, I was doing a mileage run, MCO-PHL-BOS-PHX, and there was a flight cancel or something that happened for the PHL-BOS leg. They tried to route me back on PHL-PHX, but I told them I had planned to meet a friend at BOS, and had 2 hours or so there. So they booked me on another PHL-BOS, and on my original BOS-PHX (just a few minutes had gone by so I managed to keep my seat for BOS-PHX).

I've had good luck getting favorable rebookings when stating that I'm on a mileage run. LOL, I've never needed an excuse! It's almost like it's fun to some AAgents to come up with convoluted routings. Was recently flying MSY-DFW-LAS to catch another MR when a VDB offer came up, and I took it. I told the AAgent that I was on an MR and he laughed. "Let's see what we can do," he said as he booked me going MSY-CLT-LAX-LAS.

CabinChief Mar 7, 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11 (Post 28004231)

I've had good luck getting favorable rebookings when stating that I'm on a mileage run. LOL, I've never needed an excuse! It's almost like it's fun to some AAgents to come up with convoluted routings. Was recently flying MSY-DFW-LAS to catch another MR when a VDB offer came up, and I took it. I told the AAgent that I was on an MR and he laughed. "Let's see what we can do," he said as he booked me going MSY-CLT-LAX-LAS.

FA's once asked me if I was on a mileage run, although when I told them I was they weren't as enthused, remarking "so that's why we aren't making any money"

RogerD408 Mar 7, 2017 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 28003135)
Ah got it...he booked two, one-way refundable fares.

Genius! :D

No, not really. Booking a ticket SFO - LAX - LAS and LAX - SFO under the same FF# is a dead give away of what is likely happening. AA has years of experience watching flight patterns and probably catches way more of these than they take action on. Yes, there can be legitimate bookings, but those people will push the issue more than someone trying to cheat the airline.

Often1 Mar 7, 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11 (Post 28004231)
Presumptuous GAs aside, the OP did not get "busted" because he didn't do anything wrong (he didn't even fly). He/she should request a refund on account of the departure delay if he's willing to "rock the boat" a little more and not worry about what the AAgent wrote in his PNR. IMHO, OP should just have politely stuck to the "I want the routing I paid for" story on grounds that he was meeting a companion at LAX. I've done this numerous times at DFW when going from domestic to international. This is very common.

When my layover time is ample, I will say that I have a meeting in Admirals Club of the connecting city (sometimes a true story). People pay to fly specific routes and avoid specific airports for a number of legitimate reasons, and most airline staff understand and respect that.

Except that this particular agent didn't buy it.

The bottom line is that if you purchase a ticket A-C which happens to connect at B, you can be rerouted A-D-C or you could be rerouted onto the A-C nonstop. If you have a meeting at B, you would then purchase A-B and B-C as separate segments and pay the segment fares.

AA is a lot tougher than UA & DL on COC issues (until the others catch up) and for all we know the GA gets a bonus for catching a live one.

The juvenile fibbing doesn't help if the agent has heard it all before. Even if it's not a fib and it's true.

jordyn Mar 8, 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28004172)
Which has minimal correlation to how often it -has- been a problem for serial-offenders.

Why do you think that? Other infractions (e.g., selling miles or SWUs) or rules that AA enforces from time to time but not consistently (e.g., audits of appropriate SWU application) all get discussed here. I see no reason to believe that this is a special case where people are regularly getting busted for it but no one talks about it on FlyerTalk.

Now perhaps you have inside information that you're hinting at but not sharing. I'd be curious to learn more, but color me skeptical at this point based on the evidence at hand.