Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA lounge at PHL denies access to AA Elites / Premium Flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lounge at PHL denies access to AA Elites / Premium Flyers

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
Access to a lounge is more of a privilege than a right.
I disagree.

AI'm not aware of any contractual obligations requiring BA to let in someone that happened to have flown a lot on another airline. And even if there is some implied contract through marketing literature or similar, I'm sure BA's lawyers have crafted legal disclaimers somewhere allowing them to refuse access to (or throw out anyone) they want for any or no reason whatsoever.
There are contractual obligations to being part of an alliance. BA gets benefits but also has responsibilities under those contractual obligations. I agree that an individual AAdvantage member probably lacks the standing to sue BA, but would probably have standing to sue AA (not that I would recommend this course of action).
Old May 21, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
This happened to me a few months ago right before US officially joined OW. There was a prominent AA sign out front, but the lounge dragon said she would let me in (I was flying US J, but trying to get in with my Amex Plat) as a one-time exception. It took a lot of begging, however.

I think it is just the culture of the people who work there to refuse access to the lounge, especially with the US lounges nearby. Unless whoever their local manager is changes the culture, it likely will not change no matter what we do.

I will say I did not like it as the lounge was small and cramped.
The AA sign is gone but the sign at the door shows the oneworld symbol with the sapphire and emerald ovals.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Flew out of PHL yesterday and the BA lounge did not open until 3pm. The new AA lounge between A4 and A6 was a bit of a walk but was nice. Note: I was on AA domestic, had not been through PHL in a couple of months and was not aware of the new AA club until I got there yesterday.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by pgppetch
Ever try to access BA's MIA or DFW lounge via One World?
I have been refused entry to Galleries lounges in both these AA hubs when flying AA internationally as sapphire and emerald OneWorld. They redirect me to the admiral's club and when I persist they claim the lounge is too busy. Ba does not care about the fee they would collect for admitting another OW member's passenger into their lounge. They only care about keeping their lounge pleasant for their passengers, particularly the real revenue premium cabin passengers.
On the OW site, in lounge info, there is a disclaimer that if a lounge is very busy access can be denied-that is what BA seems to use to keep other airlines' passengers from accessing under OW elite rules. Let's face it, if they did not redirect AA an US elites to our own airlines' clubrooms in these cities, we would fill their Galleries Lounges to enjoy a more premium business class like lounge rather than a membership club being passed off as a premium lounge.
It does irritate me that Executive Club Golds can access our clubs in North america with no restriction that the ticket be international when we are kept out of their North am clubs though.
DFW is a little different. It is not a Galleries lounge. It's a third party lounge that BA uses for their flights.

The Club at DFW
Location details: Terminal D, airside near Gate D21
Opening hours: Daily: 1430 - 1830
Operated by a third party. May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways
Old May 23, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by akelkar
Yea, I'll second this. Better snacks, better liquor, and a nicer atmosphere.

I guess I'd try to get in right as it opens and if denied access, I'd suck it up and just head over to the ex-Envoy lounge. It's huge, which is nice
I always felt like the BA lounge was a fishbowl as people would glance inside as they were passing by in the terminal.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Same issue with SQ in *A. My view - BA should be remove from OW, and SQ from *A. If you don't play by the rules - then why be in an Alliance?
Old May 25, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by cova
Same issue with SQ in *A. My view - BA should be remove from OW, and SQ from *A. If you don't play by the rules - then why be in an Alliance?
You do realize that BA is a founding member of oneworld, right?
Old May 25, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA-1k, Starwood-G, Marriott-G, Hilton-G
OP, sounds like a bit of a pain, but do hope she redirected you to the Envoy lounge. I fly both BA and US regularly and while the food and drink is better in the BA lounge, the US Envoy lounge in A-West is a much nicer place to spend time IMHO. Anyway on behalf of my hometown, sorry for the "aah-tee-tude" (as we say around here).
Old May 25, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
You do realize that BA is a founding member of oneworld, right?
Yes. But if they don't follow the rules of OW - then they should be pushed out. Just because you are a founding member doesn't mean you can't leave. Let BA form BAWorld.

With lounge policies and high fees on rewards - I just don't fly BA.

If going to Europe I will fly *A and LH over BA. Just don't like BA. LH plays by the rules in *A.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:28 pm

I will say I did not like it as the lounge was small and cramped.
I'd say for 2 flights/day - the PHL BA Club is plenty sufficient in size and quality. It wasn't designed or built to support a large OW contingent of passengers, which has been thrust upon it by the new AA, QR and TBD. Remembering that when the club was designed/built, BA was the only OW carrier serving PHL, as standalone AA had a tiny presence and essentially zero outbound connecting traffic. If BA should add another evening supper flight, then I'd speculate the club's size will be a problem. What I'd like to see is for AA to do a quality redesign of the A-West Club (Old Envoy Lounge) and pronounce it as the primary OW club (international and (maybe) paid AA memberships only), leaving AA with 3 other dedicated clubs (A-East, B/C and F) - and BA with potentially less non-BA passengers requesting access to their club.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by perseus11
I'd say for 2 flights/day - the PHL BA Club is plenty sufficient in size and quality. It wasn't designed or built to support a large OW contingent of passengers, which has been thrust upon it by the new AA, QR and TBD. Remembering that when the club was designed/built, BA was the only OW carrier serving PHL, as standalone AA had a tiny presence and essentially zero outbound connecting traffic. If BA should add another evening supper flight, then I'd speculate the club's size will be a problem. What I'd like to see is for AA to do a quality redesign of the A-West Club (Old Envoy Lounge) and pronounce it as the primary OW club (international and (maybe) paid AA memberships only), leaving AA with 3 other dedicated clubs (A-East, B/C and F) - and BA with potentially less non-BA passengers requesting access to their club.
I think splitting the club in two making the part to the left a OW international lounge similar to the old Envoy lounge with free pour wine/liquor and better food and keeping the longe to the right a regular US/AC lounge is a good idea! In that case there would be plenty room for everyone! 4 lounges, including the big main one in the B/C terminal for US/AC paid members, and 2 lounges for OW international premium passengers.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:47 am
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
Originally Posted by perseus11
Quote:

What I'd like to see is for AA to do a quality redesign of the A-West Club (Old Envoy Lounge) and pronounce it as the primary OW club (international and (maybe) paid AA memberships only), leaving AA with 3 other dedicated clubs (A-East, B/C and F) - and BA with potentially less non-BA passengers requesting access to their club.
I agree. The last time I was in the envoy lounge it had been converted to a regular us airways club and could absolutely use some sprucing up. Now that PHL is a OW hub it could use a proper lounge. That being said the example of dfw is a prime example of how a massive oneworld presence doesn't seem to necessitate decent Ow premium lounge.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by bdohmen
I agree. The last time I was in the envoy lounge it had been converted to a regular us airways club and could absolutely use some sprucing up. Now that PHL is a OW hub it could use a proper lounge. That being said the example of dfw is a prime example of how a massive oneworld presence doesn't seem to necessitate decent Ow premium lounge.
International carriers treat their lounges differently than US carriers. US airlines treat their clubs as separate profit centers and an extra revenue source. In many other places you can't outright buy membership to an airline's lounge. (The only other Oneworld member that allows this is Qantas.) There are also market forces at play in the cases of DFW and PHL. While both have a large Oneworld presence, they're both dominated by AA and US, respectively (and soon to be just AA).

Both locations have few non-AA/US Oneworld flights. PHL has 1x QR PHL-DOH and 2x BA PHL-LHR. DFW has 1x BA DFW-LHR, 1x QF DFW-BNE, and 1x QR DFW-DOH (beginning in July). The only reason the BA lounge exists at PHL is to provide departing travelers the option of dining before their flight. The food spread otherwise has always been minimal. You're not missing much in the PHL BA lounge. What PHL could really use is some showers in those large lounges in A West and B/C. It's something I've grown accustomed to with the Admirals Clubs, but I don't think any of the US Airways Clubs have them.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I think splitting the club in two making the part to the left a OW international lounge similar to the old Envoy lounge with free pour wine/liquor and better food and keeping the longe to the right a regular US/AC lounge is a good idea! In that case there would be plenty room for everyone! 4 lounges, including the big main one in the B/C terminal for US/AC paid members, and 2 lounges for OW international premium passengers.
IMO the old envoy lounge in PHL was the best domestic lounge in the US - I have NO idea why they decided to make the whole thing a normal US Air club.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ZRH originating travel via PHL and shower question has been moved so this thread can remain on topic.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.