FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1569447-booking-latam-lan-tam-award-flights-using-aa-miles.html)

JonNYC Apr 30, 2015 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by alect (Post 24544527)
Hunch was right - called back - another agent who was willing to take exact details (date, airport codes, flight #) and saw the availability and booked me in for 6k +$4 taxes - initially mentioned $40 booking fee - but I mentioned that should be waived due to policy and not being able to book online - the fee was omitted!!

Glad it worked out!

berliner5000 May 1, 2015 9:35 am

Booking Award ticket on LAN/TAM within Ecuador

Hey all,

It's my first time posting on the AA forum. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything related to my question.

I'm trying to book two low-level award tickets from Guayaquil/Quito to Baltra Island using AA miles. The AA website and award redemption chart leads me to believe that I can't do this.

Is that true? Is it not possible to use AA miles to book an intra-South American award ticket? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

jridge May 1, 2015 9:55 am

Originally Posted by berliner5000 (Post 24750310)
Hey all,

It's my first time posting on the AA forum. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything related to my question.

I'm trying to book two low-level award tickets from Guayaquil/Quito to Baltra Island using AA miles. The AA website and award redemption chart leads me to believe that I can't do this.

Is that true? Is it not possible to use AA miles to book an intra-South American award ticket? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

You cannot book LAN tickets online. You will need to call in order to do so.

I am not sure what in the redemption chart leads you to believe this is not possible. UIO-GPS would be a "wholly within Ecuador" award; 5K in main cabin.

berliner5000 May 1, 2015 10:12 am

My bad! I was only looking at the AA/US Air chart!

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...ward-chart.jsp

I didn't realize that there was another one!!! Thanks!!

EtoileFilante May 1, 2015 11:20 am

I'd price out the trip before using miles - I'm going to Colombia and will need a ticket BOG-->CTG (return), and I'd rather spend the $100 (and get miles) instead of using miles... for me, it's a better scenario since I'm unable to get many more CCs at the moment. You may want to see how much it costs for the flight before using the miles...

TJ1010F May 8, 2015 6:40 am

Booking TAM flight segment on way from YYZ-SYD with AAdvantage

New to using AAdvantage points, apologies if this is a super basic question.

I see availability on YYZ->JFK-> SYD on TAM then Qantas during the date I'm interested in for one person in economy while using BA search engine. It does not show up on searching on the AA site, I tried calling AA and they said no availability as a reward flight for them currently

Is it that TAM is not giving availability to AA right now? If so, is there a possibility it might open up at a later date? And if so, when!

Or is it that you can't use a TAM flight in NA if not heading to Brazil?

Thanks a lot

jridge May 8, 2015 7:31 am

Originally Posted by TJ1010F (Post 24784902)
New to using AAdvantage points, apologies if this is a super basic question.

I see availability on YYZ->JFK-> SYD on TAM then Qantas during the date I'm interested in for one person in economy while using BA search engine. It does not show up on searching on the AA site, I tried calling AA and they said no availability as a reward flight for them currently

Is it that TAM is not giving availability to AA right now? If so, is there a possibility it might open up at a later date? And if so, when!

Or is it that you can't use a TAM flight in NA if not heading to Brazil?

Thanks a lot

TAM availability does not show up on aa.com period - you have to call.

There must be a published fare (in this case, between YYZ and SYD) that permits the routing and carriers that you want to use on the award.

Thus, assuming it is Qantas who publish the YYZ-SYD fare, the fare rules must permit a connection in JFK and they must permit TAM to fly the YYZ-JFK segment. The last part is most likely not true.

Hyacinthe May 8, 2015 10:45 am

You could always book JFK-SYD with AAdvantage, and book a separate award for YYZ-JFK on JJ, for 4500 BA avios in Y.

guv1976 May 8, 2015 11:13 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
You could always book JFK-SYD with AAdvantage, and book a separate award for YYZ-JFK on JJ, for 4500 BA avios in Y.

True, but with JJ and QF ticketed separately, there's no assurance of protection in the event of IRROPS.

TJ1010F May 8, 2015 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe (Post 24786031)

I was thinking about that but how does that work logistically with checked baggage?

guv1976 May 8, 2015 1:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Is there no award availability on AA from YYZ to JFK? From YYZ to LGA?

If you put YYZ-SYD into the award search engine on aa.com, does anything show up as available?

chris4096 May 8, 2015 2:40 pm

Is there a particular reason why you want to fly via Brazil? My one experience in J on a JJ 330 was not exactly something I would want to repeat on two back-to-back long haul flights.

Why not just go via LAX or even SCL?

guv1976 May 8, 2015 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by chris4096
Is there a particular reason why you want to fly via Brazil? My one experience in J on a JJ 330 was not exactly something I would want to repeat on two back-to-back long haul flights.

Why not just go via LAX or even SCL?

The OP does not want to go via Brazil. The OP wants to fly YYZ-JFK on TAM, and JFK-SYD on Qantas.

TJ1010F May 8, 2015 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 24786822)

Is there no award availability on AA from YYZ to JFK? From YYZ to LGA?

If you put YYZ-SYD into the award search engine on aa.com, does anything show up as available?

Nope, nothing that involves YYZ-JFK on AA when searching on aa.com, and thus, not the JFK-SYD leg either. The YYZ-JFK on TAM only shows up as part of a search on BA.

jridge May 8, 2015 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by TJ1010F (Post 24786310)
I was thinking about that but how does that work logistically with checked baggage?

Many OW airlines will check bags through when on separate tickets. You'd be subject to TAM's policy on that. As noted, you have no protection if the TAM flight is delayed, so may be better to stopover in NYC anyway.

The allowance would be separate for each ticket, i.e. effectively the lesser of the two.