Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Emergency, Compassion and Bereavement Fares - No More (New AA 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Bereavement, Compassion or Emergency Fares
"aa.com: Emergency And Bereavement Fares

"American Airlines does not provide emergency or bereavement fares. We do offer customers flexible fare options when booking last minute travel for a variety of reasons."

and

Do you offer emergency or bereavement discounts?We're sorry, we don't offer emergency or bereavement fares.
One alternative is to check the Choice Plus fares.

The "new" merged American has dropped its compassion / bereavement fare policy (discounted tickets to passengers traveling because of a family emergency), effective o/a 11 Feb 2014.

http://www.thewire.com/business/2014/02/american-airlines-has-stopped-offering-bereavement-fares/358578

The previous, archived thread can be found here: Emergency / Compassion / Bereavement Fares (ARCHIVAL)

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Emergency, Compassion and Bereavement Fares - No More (New AA 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Although they are gone, AA's bereavement fares were often an excellent deal. I see a lot of people stating otherwise, but I used them a couple of times and with zero notice the fares were always a significant discount to current prevailing fares, though certainly not competitive with advance purchases.

I once checked the other carriers' bereavement fares before booking AA and found them to be a joke, as some have suggested AA's were. Anyhow, doesn't matter now...
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What pass for compassion fared with AA aren't significantly cheaper - but often their flexibility is that of significantly pricier fares.

I did make use of AA compassion fared when my parents passed away in the 1970s. They were very good deals at the time.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:56 am

Last minute travel due to death

Hi all - hoping for some quick constructive feedback. This might not be the best sub-forum, and I hope a mod will move it to most appropriate one if they can.

I need to travel from Tulsa to NY, most likely on Saturday to be in town for a funeral on Sunday.
Trying to find the most cost effective way to do this. It looks like it will be like $620 for a main cabin (cheapest available).
I could redeem AA miles for a MileSAAver for 12.5K miles each way. I actually would prefer to book open-ended (one-ways), looks like if I do that I need to pay $80 in fees on the awards each way.

I'm not tied to American (though I do get free bags), and I have about 50K American Express points and a lot of UR points I could transfer for other options.

Is the 12.5K mile each way that I found likely the best I will do?

Thanks all!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Call and ask them to waive the fees, they waived a fee for me yesterday,

Had a price drop, upgraded to business for much less, and they called it an upgrade.

Never hurts to ask,
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by satman40
Call and ask them to waive the fees, they waived a fee for me yesterday,

Had a price drop, upgraded to business for much less, and they called it an upgrade.

Never hurts to ask,
You mean to waive the $80 fee for booking awards? My sister was looking into bereavement fares, but I figured that even with a bereavement fare the 12.5K miles each way would be a better deal.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Most US airlines have done away with bereavement fares. So yes 12.5k miles would probably be a good deal. And it wouldn't hurt to ask if they would waive the fees, the worst they can do is say no.
satman40 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:18 am

12.5k each way in a pinch like this isn’t a bad deal at all. If you call to book, let them know it’s for a death in the family and they may waive the close-in fee.

Even then, $80 beats $600+.

Maybe try looking through BA (UR point transfer) if you have an account. However it may not be better if you need a connection.
E55 and satman40 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BenH
Hi all - hoping for some quick constructive feedback. This might not be the best sub-forum, and I hope a mod will move it to most appropriate one if they can.

I need to travel from Tulsa to NY, most likely on Saturday to be in town for a funeral on Sunday.
Trying to find the most cost effective way to do this. It looks like it will be like $620 for a main cabin (cheapest available).
I could redeem AA miles for a MileSAAver for 12.5K miles each way. I actually would prefer to book open-ended (one-ways), looks like if I do that I need to pay $80 in fees on the awards each way.

I'm not tied to American (though I do get free bags), and I have about 50K American Express points and a lot of UR points I could transfer for other options.

Thanks all!
In order to get around paying $75 x 2 tickets, just book it as a roundtrip, so you'd only pay the $75 once. If needed you can always call AA and have them split the PNR after you book it, which would accomplish the same thing as booking 2 one-ways. After you fly the outbound, you will essentially have a one-way award back home to TUL anyways that you can change as much as you need to.

Spending 25k miles for a $620 ticket is definitely a decent deal.
satman40 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Sorry for your loss!

25k miles is a great use for $620 as pointed out, I would call up and first ask for the death fares then ask for the fee to be waived if you want to use your AA miles. They are pretty helpful on the phone, or try the hang up, call again method if you get a jerk. I have only encountered them rarely when calling.
satman40 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Put the reservation as a RT ON HOLD.

2) Call to explain the situation ans ask if the $75 close in fee can be waived, (and the telephone booking fee because that is also chargeable). The answer would determine whether you go back to purchase online (therefore avoid the phone booking fee but still be charged $75 - regardless you pay the tax, or you can purchase it over the phone.

3) Once you fly the outbound, determine when you want to return - call BEFORE your return flight date and change the date - it is a free change.

No matter how you slice it - this would be much cheaper than pay ticket close in.

Alternatively, if your flight is a direct flight and BA shows availability on your outbound - transfer your UR pts to BA and book the ticket with BA which does not charge close in booking.
Transfer from UR to BA is instant - provided you have already had an BA account and not just setting one up brand new as this could often trigger fraud alert.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If needed you can always call AA and have them split the PNR after you book it.
As a single traveler, there is nothing to split. There is no purpose here (or even capability) to move a segment for one passenger to a new PNR. Essentially, you'd have to cancel and rebook the segment, and that might expose you to another close-in ticketing fee.

Just keep the return reservation home in your original PNR, which can be changed free of charge as long as origin and destination remain the same and applicable award inventory is available.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
You mean to waive the $80 fee for booking awards? My sister was looking into bereavement fares, but I figured that even with a bereavement fare the 12.5K miles each way would be a better deal.
DId the < 21 day fee change from $75? The website says $75
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
DId the < 21 day fee change from $75? The website says $75
Domestic award travel also requires payment of the $5.60 September 11 security fee.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all!
Do you hold a qualifying Citi or Barclays AA credit card? TUL is on this month's list of reduced-mileage-award destinations for credit-card holders: just 8,750 miles one-way from anywhere in the (continental) U.S. to TUL, when MileSAAver seats are available.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-awards.jsp
BenH likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 14, 2019 at 11:29 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition to TUL, HPN (Westchester County) and ISP (Long Island/MacArthur) are also on this month's list of reduced-mileage-award destinations. If either of those airports works for the OP, and if SAAver seats are available to them, then the OP could conceivably get his (open-jaw?) roundtrip for 17,500 miles plus applicable fees.

Since the OP gets a free checked bag on AA, but is not exempt from the close-in booking fee, I'm guessing that he holds an AA credit card. (It's either that, or he has status on some other oneworld airline.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.