FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1492741-airbus-a321-transcon-a321t-32b-3-class-master-thread.html)

tennessetom Feb 10, 2018 9:52 am

The flight is longer than jfk to Lhr. Jfk to Lhr is 85,000 miles in first but the Lhr to jfk product is better so 50,000 miles seems about right. I am not sure what is important to you but the seats are fairly comfortable it is usually quiet if sleep is important and the food is well airline food. I value the comfort and peace so I think it is worthwhile. I find american to have the most inconsistent service of any airline I fly so this aspect is totally hit or miss but the flagship ground product is good

beachfan Feb 10, 2018 10:47 am

This is a 3 class plan. Isn't 50k Avios the cost of J which is business on a 3 class plane?

babaghanoush85 Feb 10, 2018 11:02 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 29401890)
This is a 3 class plan. Isn't 50k Avios the cost of J which is business on a 3 class plane?

J is 37,500, F is 50,000

Due to absolutely no availability in J, it's coach or first. If we fly coach then we save 75,000 avios to be used for other trips.

beachfan Feb 10, 2018 11:41 am

Originally Posted by babaghanoush85 (Post 29401947)
J is 37,500, F is 50,000

Due to absolutely no availability in J, it's coach or first. If we fly coach then we save 75,000 avios to be used for other trips.

Sorry for being slow, is this one way or RT?

dave_261 Feb 10, 2018 11:44 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 29402075)
Sorry for being slow, is this one way or RT?

Has to be one-way. 37.5k miles in J on this route would be a steal if r/t.

beachfan Feb 10, 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by dave_261 (Post 29402084)
Has to be one-way. 37.5k miles in J on this route would be a steal if r/t.

I thought that when AA renamed first on a two class plane, it went to 25k each way. I must have missed the multiple going back to 3x times coach.

guv1976 Feb 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 29402130)
I thought that when AA renamed first on a two class plane, it went to 25k each way. I must have missed the multiple going back to 3x times coach.

For Band 1, 2, and 3 flights (under 2,001 flown miles), the BAEC multiplier for J is 2X Coach. For longer flights (like JFK-SFO/LAX/SEA/LAS/PHX), the J multiplier is 3X Coach.

And for all flights, regardless of distance, the BAEC multiplier for "true" F is 4X Coach. (First Class on two-cabin AA flights is now treated as J for BAEC redemption flights, so the multiplier will be either 2X or 3X Coach -- depending on flight distance.)

babaghanoush85 Feb 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29402157)
For Band 1, 2, and 3 flights (under 2,001 flown miles), the BAEC multiplier for J is 2X Coach. For longer flights (like JFK-SFO/LAX/SEA/LAS/PHX), the J multiplier is 3X Coach.

And for all flights, regardless of distance, the BAEC multiplier for "true" F is 4X Coach. (First Class on two-cabin AA flights is now treated as J for BAEC redemption flights, so the multiplier will be either 2X or 3X Coach -- depending on flight distance.)

Maybe my original question was a bit confusing as it was not to ask how many avios are required for a flight in business or first. The question is:

If flying from NYC to SFO (one-way) as a couple, is it worth it to spend 100,000 avios for two first class tickets? Keep in mind that there is no availability in J so the only other alternative is flying economy and using the saved avios for other trips.

beachfan Feb 10, 2018 2:17 pm

I was confused because it wasn't clear whether it was one way or round trip.

Is paid J out of the question? I had a similar issue for Thanksgiving 2018, but the differential (round-trip) between Y and J was under $600 (it was $1220 or so RT for J). So I just paid for it. (AA has been having one flight a day that they match Jet Blue Mint's lower fares if you book far out enough).

As to whether it's worth it for you, depends on what you would use the Avios for. I personally transfer my BA Avios to IB for use on LAX-MAD in J, which is 42,500 one way off peak. And since I value TATL non-stops in J from LAX very highly, and award availability on this route (out 330 days) is good, it wouldn't be worth it for me. But if you don't need the BA Avios for TATL flights, then it could be worth it to you.

guv1976 Feb 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by babaghanoush85 (Post 29402394)
Maybe my original question was a bit confusing as it was not to ask how many avios are required for a flight in business or first. The question is:

If flying from NYC to SFO (one-way) as a couple, is it worth it to spend 100,000 avios for two first class tickets? Keep in mind that there is no availability in J so the only other alternative is flying economy and using the saved avios for other trips.

You don't have to use 100,000 Avios to get two one-way F tickets; you could use 50,000 AA miles for one such ticket, and 50,000 Avios for the other -- if you prefer.

transparent Feb 11, 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by babaghanoush85 (Post 29402394)

Seems nobody is really giving a straight opinion, but maybe because we don’t know what you value.

Do you have tons of points you could transfer to BA later? (Chase UR?) Do you have a good use for Avios soon, like for Europe, US short haul, or Asia short haul? Is economy intolerable? Also do you have status so you can select MCE for free?

If you have status for MCE, I would just go that route. In fact, I might not spend any points for economy if your travel is far out since RT on this route can be as low as $200-300.

I personally don’t think F is worth it on this route over J, given the length of the flight and some of the seat/cabin drawbacks (mentioned upthread). If spending cash and not trying to get EQM/EQD, I think JetBlue Mint may be a good option if AA is too pricey.

If you must do AA in J or higher, maybe consider JFK-LAX-SFO and see if J is available for points that way.

Personally I would use the Avios in other ways.

ijgordon Feb 11, 2018 11:11 am

If you’re concerned about the number of miles, how about booking 3 coach award seats, the middle as LASTNAME/EXST. And depending on status you may even be able to get the MCE extra legroom.

JFK—>SFO in F would be very nice, especially ground service in JFK (ultra-priority checkin) and preflight dining. Onboard will have very good space, but as a couple you can’t sit together. Many couples prefer J for that reason, but obviously not an option. Onboard service is usually pretty good (but can vary from poor to fantastic), food is fair (better to eat in the lounge).

george 3 Feb 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jspira (Post 29401692)
The Flagship First Transcon product is something I fly with some degree of frequency. The seats (same as Flagship Business on the 777-300) are excellent given the 1-1 configuration, there's a cappuccino machine up front and the espresso or capuccino is served with really good biscotti, it's extremely quiet and relaxing, and I've never had a bad cabin crew.

A colleague of mine at FBT recently reviewed the product. Her review might be helpful.

American Airlines Flagship First New York-San Francisco – Flight Review

I completely forgot about the espresso machine, but then again I wasn’t offered one on my SFO JFK flight in F last week.

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.

babaghanoush85 Feb 16, 2018 12:17 am

I do have a good amount of UR and MR points but wanted to save those for other trips (specifically some on Star Alliance in the next year or so). Luckily, 2 spots for C (Business Upgrade) opened up on a flight that worked with our schedule. I was able to snag some coach fares and then upgrade via phone for 15,000 AA miles each before they disappeared. Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions.

Forgot to add: Neither the Mrs nor I have status, so MCE for free wasn't an option.

sriirvine Feb 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello, we had award tix on JFK->LAX in Y this summer on the Alaska 32S, but due to a schedule change, we were able to switch our tickets to the 321T. Pretty happy about that, but our reservation doesn't have any seat assignments and the only seats available were MCE that required payment. All of the main cabin seats are marked as "Unavailable". Is this normal? If so, we can only get seat assignments when we check in?

Also, if J was available later, how much would an upgrade cost in miles? It looks like the original 32S flight costs 12.5K, but the 321T Y costs 30K due to non-saver availability. If saver J is available, it would be 32.5K, but since we really only paid 12.5K, I'm assuming it would be another 20K for the J award?

Thanks.