FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Lifetime AirPass / AAirPass / pass discussion (2013 and onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1440671-aa-lifetime-airpass-aairpass-pass-discussion-2013-onward.html)

frebay Feb 20, 2013 5:38 pm

AA Lifetime AirPass / AAirPass / pass discussion (2013 and onward)

http://ballislife.com/mark-cuban-nam...cuban-moments/

125k lifetime pass seems like a steal!

Not sure if it's true if Magic had to get off the plane.. Go to the 8 min mark in the video.

gsupstate Feb 20, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm not exactly a Mark Cuban fan, but not sure what the point is here.... :confused:

Upgraded! Feb 20, 2013 5:45 pm

I think AA probably decides who gets kicked off of the plane, not the pass holder. Just a hunch ;).

All American Flyer Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

I think the point was that AA has to kick off a passenger and in this case the passenger happened to be Magic Johnson. This story seems quite far fetched. I certainly would not wish to be the AAgent who tells the 6 foot 9 legendary Magic Johnson to get off the plane. Certainly a funny story but more likely than not false

dayone Feb 20, 2013 6:16 pm

This is not even close to breaking news.

A search returned at least 40 posts on this subject. This one, from 2004, seems to be the oldest.

I believe that 66 unlimited F passes were sold. In addition to Cuban, Michael Dell, Willie Mays and Dennis Conner were buyers.

As for the Magic Johnson anecdote, here is a video of Cuban telling the story (starts at 7:10).

rabble Feb 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by All American Flyer (Post 20286918)
I think the point was that AA has to kick off a passenger and in this case the passenger happened to be Magic Johnson. This story seems quite far fetched. I certainly would not wish to be the AAgent who tells the 6 foot 9 legendary Magic Johnson to get off the plane. Certainly a funny story but more likely than not false

Maybe false, but reconstructing it goes something like this. All but 2 seats in first on LAX-LAS were paid, Magic Johnson and somebody else was an upgrade. Cuban has a life time first class pass with a plus one. The GA would chose to bump the EXP or sticker upgrade person out of first.

The thing is, they'd probably bump them back to economy and bump somebody out of economy to the next flight. I don't see them bumping somebody out of first directly off the flight unless they thought it was better to put them on first on the next flight instead of back in to economy.

FLLUAFlyer Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Also, somewhere in the old posts, and in some news articles, it was reported that Cuban and Dell do not use their AA Lifetime Passes. No need to fly AA when you have your own private jet!

N830MH Feb 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by gsupstate (Post 20286799)
I'm not exactly a Mark Cuban fan, but not sure what the point is here.... :confused:

Excuse me, who is Mark Cuban? Who is he? :confused:

jfk747 Feb 20, 2013 7:02 pm

He is no one really:p.

N830MH Feb 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by jfk747 (Post 20287153)
He is no one really:p.

Here the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban

And now, we all know who Mark Cuban.

bmchris Feb 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by CVCONDE (Post 20286967)
it was reported that Cuban and Dell do not use their AA Lifetime Passes.

A bit of quid pro quo.

The Mavs play in the AA Center. And where would Dell be if AA pulled out of service to Austin. Mr Cuban and Mr Dell, in the spirit of our partnership, we'd like to "offer" you the "opportunity" to buy these passes that you'll never use...

I'm just sayin'.

cynicAAl Feb 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris (Post 20287308)
A bit of quid pro quo.

The Mavs play in the AA Center. And where would Dell be if AA pulled out of service to Austin. Mr Cuban and Mr Dell, in the spirit of our partnership, we'd like to "offer" you the "opportunity" to buy these passes that you'll never use...

I'm just sayin'.

I heard that Queen Elizabeth, Oprah and Jesus also have the passes, and rarely use them.

bmchris Feb 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 20287341)
I heard that Queen Elizabeth, Oprah and Jesus also have the passes, and rarely use them.

Nah - it's just coincidence that AA has the most flights to London of any US carrier, and AA is a sponsor of Oprah.

aamilesslave Feb 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris (Post 20287478)
Nah - it's just coincidence that AA has the most flights to London of any US carrier, and AA is a sponsor of Oprah.

Inflight NBC Universal programming will be replaced with the OWN Network. In related news, viewership of OWN is expected to rise 5000%.

austin_modern Feb 20, 2013 8:30 pm

"DYKWIA?" - m.c.