Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime AirPass / AAirPass / pass discussion (2013 and onward)

Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Lifetime AirPass / AAirPass
"Unlimited First a Class Travel on AA"

NOTE: Please see here if you are seeking information about AA AirPass prepaid travel.

BACKGROUND: Lifetime AAirpasses were sold at various times, along with Companion Airpasses for a reduced amount. The unlimited Lifetime AAirpass, including lifetime Admirals Club membership, was initially offered for $250,000 in 1981 (accompanying companion AAirpass for $150,000), and apparently the last offer was through the 2004 Neiman Marcus Christmas Catalogue for USD $3 million (buy a companion pass for a discounted $2 million).

At least some AAirpasses could be transferred one time. Some offered unlimited travel in American Airlines First Class anywhere AA flies (no fees or taxes - AA absorbed those) and others offered a maximum number of miles flown per year (could carry over unused flight miles to the next year) earning full AA EQM / RDM / EQP - lifetime Admirals Club membership included.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat

http://ballislife.com/mark-cuban-nam...cuban-moments/

125k lifetime pass seems like a steal!

Not sure if it's true if Magic had to get off the plane.. Go to the 8 min mark in the video.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 21, 2013 at 9:11 am Reason: restore original post title
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
I'm not exactly a Mark Cuban fan, but not sure what the point is here....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I think AA probably decides who gets kicked off of the plane, not the pass holder. Just a hunch .
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
I think the point was that AA has to kick off a passenger and in this case the passenger happened to be Magic Johnson. This story seems quite far fetched. I certainly would not wish to be the AAgent who tells the 6 foot 9 legendary Magic Johnson to get off the plane. Certainly a funny story but more likely than not false
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

This is not even close to breaking news.

A search returned at least 40 posts on this subject. This one, from 2004, seems to be the oldest.

I believe that 66 unlimited F passes were sold. In addition to Cuban, Michael Dell, Willie Mays and Dennis Conner were buyers.

As for the Magic Johnson anecdote, here is a video of Cuban telling the story (starts at 7:10).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by All American Flyer
I think the point was that AA has to kick off a passenger and in this case the passenger happened to be Magic Johnson. This story seems quite far fetched. I certainly would not wish to be the AAgent who tells the 6 foot 9 legendary Magic Johnson to get off the plane. Certainly a funny story but more likely than not false
Maybe false, but reconstructing it goes something like this. All but 2 seats in first on LAX-LAS were paid, Magic Johnson and somebody else was an upgrade. Cuban has a life time first class pass with a plus one. The GA would chose to bump the EXP or sticker upgrade person out of first.

The thing is, they'd probably bump them back to economy and bump somebody out of economy to the next flight. I don't see them bumping somebody out of first directly off the flight unless they thought it was better to put them on first on the next flight instead of back in to economy.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Also, somewhere in the old posts, and in some news articles, it was reported that Cuban and Dell do not use their AA Lifetime Passes. No need to fly AA when you have your own private jet!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by gsupstate
I'm not exactly a Mark Cuban fan, but not sure what the point is here....
Excuse me, who is Mark Cuban? Who is he?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
He is no one really.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jfk747
He is no one really.
Here the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban

And now, we all know who Mark Cuban.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by CVCONDE
it was reported that Cuban and Dell do not use their AA Lifetime Passes.
A bit of quid pro quo.

The Mavs play in the AA Center. And where would Dell be if AA pulled out of service to Austin. Mr Cuban and Mr Dell, in the spirit of our partnership, we'd like to "offer" you the "opportunity" to buy these passes that you'll never use...

I'm just sayin'.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by bmchris
A bit of quid pro quo.

The Mavs play in the AA Center. And where would Dell be if AA pulled out of service to Austin. Mr Cuban and Mr Dell, in the spirit of our partnership, we'd like to "offer" you the "opportunity" to buy these passes that you'll never use...

I'm just sayin'.
I heard that Queen Elizabeth, Oprah and Jesus also have the passes, and rarely use them.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I heard that Queen Elizabeth, Oprah and Jesus also have the passes, and rarely use them.
Nah - it's just coincidence that AA has the most flights to London of any US carrier, and AA is a sponsor of Oprah.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by bmchris
Nah - it's just coincidence that AA has the most flights to London of any US carrier, and AA is a sponsor of Oprah.
Inflight NBC Universal programming will be replaced with the OWN Network. In related news, viewership of OWN is expected to rise 5000%.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
"DYKWIA?" - m.c.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.