FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1434139-redeeming-miles-awards-malaysia-airlines-mh-master-thread.html)

Antarius Feb 1, 2013 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 20167143)
The lack of attention and detail of AA.com never cease to amaze me. It's been over a full day since the first oneworld MH flight left KUL, the one highlighted in the press release co-signed by AA!!

However, from the promo I notice that it extends only to Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, or S -- so I imply that not all bookings earn miles (e.g. fares booked in Q, O).

:td:

Trying to figure out if this is only for the promo or EQM/RDM's as well (like CX). :confused:

Spoke to EXP desk and they weren't sure. They pointed me to link

Specifically Miles you earn on Malaysia Airlines flights will count toward elite status qualification, and if you’re an AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ, AAdvantage PlatinumŽ or AAdvantage GoldŽ member you can earn elite status bonus miles on most oneworld airlines. Might have to point to this if things don't work out. Planning to book today.

no1cub17 Feb 1, 2013 1:42 pm

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...iaairlines.jsp

Link to AA's award chart for MH flights.

As suspected, no EQM/RDM for deep deep discount economy class (N, O, Q). BOO!!!

kingarthur Feb 1, 2013 1:49 pm

Just searched a couple random days in March for LAX - NRT. Round trip prices:

MH = $774
AA = $1433
JL = $1440

This probably explains why there is no mileage earning potential for deep discount fares or code-sharing on this route.

It also presents some difficult decisions for loyalty-based flyers. $660 is a big savings!

Antarius Feb 1, 2013 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 20167991)

Thanks.

no1cub17 Feb 1, 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kingarthur (Post 20168042)
Just searched a couple random days in March for LAX - NRT. Round trip prices:

MH = $774
AA = $1433
JL = $1440

This probably explains why there is no mileage earning potential for deep discount fares or code-sharing on this route.

It also presents some difficult decisions for loyalty-based flyers. $660 is a big savings!

Am in this exact situation. I'm looking at SIN-BOM options for a few weeks from now and of course MH (and UL) come up the cheapest at a nice $240. But that's in Q class and only 20 kg baggage allowance which I have no hope of adhering to - I'm going to India after all. Currently am booked on 9W in a 50% RDM earning class and a little higher baggage allowance. Was really looking forward to trying out MH. Oh well...

BlissWorld Feb 1, 2013 2:04 pm

So far, this pathetic airline thinks it's among the same level as the other prestigious Asian carriers like SQ, by implementing pathetic mile earning chart and the refusal to allow F awards. Please, go look at yourself in the mirror MH. You are nowhere near CX or JL, let alone SQ. Take your snobby attitude to shove it. As far as I am concerned, MH should be expunged from Oneworld immediately. :rolleyes:

KL808 Feb 1, 2013 2:29 pm

No Elite Bonus neither

Looking up the elite bonus table MH isn't on the list. :td:

In one hand im happy we have new options for redeeming miles, on the other im a bit dissapointed on the discount economy not earning anything. At least it doesn't mirror CX's earnings table.

falconred Feb 1, 2013 3:39 pm

[QUOTE]Looking up the elite bonus table MH isn't on the list. [QUOTE]

On the bottom of the page with the Malaysian chart, it says "Additional elite status bonus miles for AAdvantage Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members and AAdvantage Gold members".

I think AA has simply not updated the table yet.

While a bummer no 100% EQM for all economy tickets, at least there is much better earning potential than on CX!

Dave Noble Feb 1, 2013 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 20168125)
So far, this pathetic airline thinks it's among the same level as the other prestigious Asian carriers like SQ, by implementing pathetic mile earning chart and the refusal to allow F awards. Please, go look at yourself in the mirror MH. You are nowhere near CX or JL, let alone SQ. Take your snobby attitude to shove it. As far as I am concerned, MH should be expunged from Oneworld immediately. :rolleyes:

There is a lot more to membership of an alliance than the earning of miles. MH has limitations in its own scheme over earning rates with KM earning less than YBH and LVS earning less still and NOQ earning the least

It is hardly surprising that a similar graduated earning is being applied to other schemes too

The earning now is a lot more than would have been earned on the same flights on thursday

ma91pmh Feb 1, 2013 4:53 pm

Very dissapointing if F redemptions will not be available. Have to say I am surprised too, I don't see how MH gets away with no F awards when the likes of CX make it open.

Still it's early days and things may change.

Good to see AA not charging YQ. BA are charging it no surprise and it can be pretty high.

Gardyloo Feb 1, 2013 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by falconred (Post 20168718)
On the bottom of the page with the Malaysian chart, it says "Additional elite status bonus miles for AAdvantage Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members and AAdvantage Gold members"...

And now it says

The following benefits apply to AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members when flying on Cathay Pacific or their affiliate airlines...
:rolleyes:

hillrider Feb 1, 2013 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by falconred (Post 20168718)
On the bottom of the page with the Malaysian chart

FYI, it's Malaysia (as in Malaysia Airlines), without the final "n". (source: www.malaysiaairlines.com).

Makes search work better when it's spelled correctly!

Guy Betsy Feb 1, 2013 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 20169113)
Very dissapointing if F redemptions will not be available. Have to say I am surprised too, I don't see how MH gets away with no F awards when the likes of CX make it open.

Still it's early days and things may change.

Good to see AA not charging YQ. BA are charging it no surprise and it can be pretty high.

I think it might be available eventually for Oneworld.

Originally Posted by Noctilux (Post 20166890)
Hi GB

Not an Amadeus thing, it is an MH thing; I spoke directly to MH and they confirmed that the F seats are not available for mileage.

Flying J from LHR/KUL I paid $480 in taxes.

Oh, ok then. Then I am glad that I redeemed my F award just in time ! :D

F seats are currently available for Virgin and Delta's FFP, as I had redeemed my F return to LHR using my VS miles a few days ago before the OW alliance as I suspected that redemption issues will certainly begin. I'm glad I did. Even after paying $580 in fuel surcharges and tax.

The process however requires the partner airline to request for the space and wait 24 hours for MH to confirm the booking.

Have we forgotten that CX doesn't even give us anything other than if booked on YHB ?
Or even RJ?

Your name must also match exactly to what is on your AAdvantage card. So if you have John Will Smith and you always book as John Smith and have no problems before.. you will encounter problems even getting your status recognised if you have a MH sector on it.

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 (Post 20169704)
Am I right in thinking that a AA numbered codeshare would give full miles irrespective of the booking class?

Yes I think this is definitely the case.. ! But we have to see if the codeshare allows us to sell the tickets without connecting to a AA transatlantic/trnaspacific flight.

* CHEF ON CALL * http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/hk/e...f-on-call.html

I was told by MH reservations when I called to prebook this meal that they will only do so with MH issued documents only. Now as usual there is confusion over small details like this but it can be a very MAS thing in that one department doesn't know what the other has said cos in the fine print, it says..

Chef-on-Call is available to all First and Business Class on the Kuala Lumpur, Auckland, Amsterdam, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Paris, Frankfurt, London routes.
and then it contradicts itself..

Chef-on-Call is not available for bookings that have a combination of applicable and non-applicable Chef-on-Call routes
So what, if I am to book LHR-KUL and onward to SIN that I can't book the chef on the LHR-KUL sector?

Blueboys999 Feb 1, 2013 7:11 pm

Am I right in thinking that a AA numbered codeshare would give full miles irrespective of the booking class?

Penguinmoon Feb 1, 2013 7:16 pm

As someone who is based in Jakarta, I'm very disappointed in the mileage earning chart FINALLY posted on AA.com. I regularly fly CGK-BKK and no difficulties when was with Star A purchasing relatively cheap mileage earning tickets. This is going to make it difficult:(

My question: If I purchase the lower Y fare, can I get advanced seat selection as an Emerald free?