Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and QR / Qatar Codeshare begin 26 Feb 2013 - END 25 Mar 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update it.

NOTE: AA - QR codeshares end 25 Mar 2018.

QR continues to be a oneworld member and partner, so no major changes are expected in other aspects of flying Qatar Airways. AA can always modify EQM and Award Miles earnings on partner airlines.

. . . • oneworld announced in Oct 2012 QR / Qatar Airways would join oneworld (BA sponsoring) - expected to take 12 - 18 months <link>.

. . . • AA and QR have announced they will codeshare as of 26 Feb 2013, with codeshare flights bookable as early as 10 Feb 2013 <link>. (N.B. No AA awards on codeshares.)

. . . • AA codeshares earn EQ Miles and Points as if one were flying AA <link> to AA miles earning chart and <link> to AA codeshare T&Cs.

So far, AA codeshares between DOH and IAD, IAH, JFK, ORD as well as FCO, CDG, MXP, MAD, BCN, MAN, FRA (Jun 2013, c/o arabiamark and Austinrunner)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, AC Elite

American Airlines And Qatar Airways Announce New Codeshare Relationship

FORT WORTH, Texas, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines has signed an agreement with Doha, Qatar-based Qatar Airways, one of the world's fastest-growing airlines and a Skytrax 5-Star rated carrier, to codeshare on each other's flights providing new growth opportunities for American in the Middle East and for Qatar in the United States. Following government approvals the new codeshare agreement will offer customers more seamless choices by allowing the two airlines to work together to improve flight schedules and connection times.

"Our extensive codeshare relationship with Qatar Airways will provide our customers with easy, premium access when traveling to and from the Middle East and beyond," said Kurt Stache, American's Vice President – Strategic Alliances. "This new codeshare relationship with Qatar is another example of how American is focused on building its global network through closer coordination with its alliance partners around the world."

The agreement with Qatar will include codesharing on nonstop flights between the U.S. and Doha, flights connecting at the carriers' European gateways such as Paris and London, and flights to cities in the U.S. and beyond Doha. Additionally, members of the American Airlines AAdvantage® program will be able to earn miles on the codeshare flights operated by Qatar Airways, providing another valuable benefit of the relationship. Customers can begin booking travel on codeshare flights as early as Feb. 10, 2013 for travel beginning Feb. 26, 2013.

In October 2012, Qatar was invited to join the oneworld® alliance. Qatar is the first of the three major carriers in the Gulf to join a global airline alliance. Its addition will add 15 destinations and three countries to the oneworld map. Qatar currently serves 120 destinations in 70 countries in the Middle East, Europe, Africa, North and South America, Asia and Australia. From its Doha hub, it offers more than 1,100 weekly flights, including service to 17 cities throughout the Middle East.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I've never been a fan of flying on codeshare booked flights.

Is there any significant advantage to us AA fliers from this beyond what we get just having Qatar in the alliance?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by BillBauman

Is there any significant advantage to us AA fliers from this beyond what we get just having Qatar in the alliance?
I think this is great news. Yes the benefit is that we can earn EQPs when flying on QR's planes with the AA code.

I'm really hoping that they code share on DOH/ZRH and DOH/DEL and DOH/CMB, then I can fly "AA" all the way...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by BillBauman

It sounds like you won't earn AA miles on QR flights before QR actually joins oneworld unless you book the QR flight as an AA codeshare.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Also, folks travelling on teh US taxpayer's dime must fly "American" carriers, which has been interpreted to allow code-shares.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
Also, folks travelling on teh US taxpayer's dime must fly "American" carriers, which has been interpreted to allow code-shares.
Great point. I wasn't aware of that.

Were I in said position, I would certainly be appreciative of a Qatar codeshare.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Nice. Hope the regular earning and burning will commence before entering 1W.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's not entirely unusual. Malaysia joins next month, but we can't earn AA miles / points (and they didn't even initiate codesharing agreement, unless they spring something on us in the next three weeks).

I wonder if this will affect AA's relationship with Etihad and Gulf Air?

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It sounds like you won't earn AA miles on QR flights before QR actually joins oneworld unless you book the QR flight as an AA codeshare.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 8, 2013 at 11:53 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
That's not entirely unusual. Malaysia joins next month, but we can't earn AA miles / points (and they didn't even initiate codesharing agreement, unless they spring something on us in the next three weeks).

I wonder if this will affect AA's relationship with Etihad and Gulf Air?
Gulf Air is almost yesterday.

Etihad relationship would be interesting.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by chongcao
Gulf Air is almost yesterday.
Is that partnership ending?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:12 pm
Suspended

No public evidence of it ending.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Maybe this will result in a published fare from US to MLE.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:44 pm
SK

Thumbs up Athens

Of personal interest is whether this will eventually include the non-stop JFK-Athens flights that Qatar Airways will inaugurate this year: Does AA have the authority to fly to Athens?

In any case, when QR joins oneworld, that flight will be eligible for miles etc too.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by SK:20004628
Of personal interest is whether this will eventually include the non-stop JFK-Athens flights that Qatar Airways will inaugurate this year: Does AA have the authority to fly to Athens?

In any case, when QR joins oneworld, that flight will be eligible for miles etc too.
EU countries are all open skies with the US. So yes AA could fly to Athens but it would be a low-yielding route and I think AA could find higher yielding places to send their planes.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
It is just such a shame that originating in the UK there are no codeshares - flights have to originate in the US. so UK-DXB etc will be Qatar flight number only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.