FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1384925-aadvantage-award-jl-jal-japan-airlines-2016-2023-a.html)

gofarhaveacigar Feb 10, 2016 10:23 am

Why is it when I'm looking 330 days out from now (1/4, 1/5), I'm seeing 0 J and 0 F availability on any flights. Have all J and F really been booked from 6 PM PDT yesterday to now?

flyingeph12 Feb 10, 2016 10:38 am

Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar (Post 26162362)
Looking to book a return flight from Hanoi to DCA/IAD/BWI for January 11, 2017. I'd prefer to fly CX through HKG, but I wanted to see if HAN-NRT-(US)-DCA would be a back up possibility.

Looks like the same rules apply for JAL as CX, is that right? (330 days out, connecting flights are allowed as long as the stop over is less than 23h59m)?

Does JAL fly east (saving a day on the return trip)?

Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar (Post 26162956)
Why is it when I'm looking 330 days out from now (1/4, 1/5), I'm seeing 0 J and 0 F availability on any flights. Have all J and F really been booked from 6 PM PDT yesterday to now?

Generally, the same rules apply for JL as CX. JL fare rules may allow certain routing that CX does not, and vice versa, but I'd say unless you're looking to do some crazy routing you shouldn't run into issues.

There is no guarantee that JL or CX will have award seats available at the 331 day window, especially since the few days after New Year's are generally peak travel days. Also, some airlines like CX open their schedule out further (e.g., 360 days), and award seats may be booked by CX's own members, or members of other FF programs that open their schedules further out (e.g., QF members can book 350ish days out I think).

anubond005 Feb 11, 2016 4:14 am

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 26151522)
I am planning a trip to BKK in nov. wife is already booked on 10th BOS-NRT-BKK. We preferred SFO flight becaz that will give us all day in Japan and than take 12:05 am flight to BKK.
Now the problem is I am not on the flight. I have been searching BA site for 2 weeks now. Usually check multiple times during the day. JAL inventory on BA is unchanged for 2 weeks I.e no open J seats on available flights are same for 2 weeks. For ex there's 1 seat from DFW on 9th and 4 seats from SFO on 8th remains unchanged.
Do u think it can be system issue or its constant for JAL availability?
Note- I have never booked JAL before. First timer 😀 Help and comments will be highly appreciated.

Update - 4 F seats opened out of ORD and I wasted no time to grab those. Now itinerary is ATL-ORD-NRT in F, NRT-HKG in J and HKG-BKK (CX) in F. Also stopping in NRT for 19 some hours. Cheers!!

25milesfromhome Feb 12, 2016 12:47 pm

I'm flying SAN-LAX-NRT-CGK with my wife later this year. LAX-NRT booked in F. When I booked, the only available flight to CGK was the afternoon flight on 767, so downgraded to J. Now F is available the next morning, so considering switching and wondering if it's worth the effort. How are the J seats on the 767? Also, the change would add a 17 hour layover (from 5pm to 10am). Arriving at 5 pm, is that enough time to go into Tokyo and see anything?

anubond005 Feb 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome (Post 26174801)
I'm flying SAN-LAX-NRT-CGK with my wife later this year. LAX-NRT booked in F. When I booked, the only available flight to CGK was the afternoon flight on 767, so downgraded to J. Now F is available the next morning, so considering switching and wondering if it's worth the effort. How are the J seats on the 767? Also, the change would add a 17 hour layover (from 5pm to 10am). Arriving at 5 pm, is that enough time to go into Tokyo and see anything?

M doing similar. Only difference m getting there at 3:15. If u are getting thr before 7th Nov than u can visit world famous fish market in morning.
Other than that there's tons of interesting stuff to do in Tokyo for a night.

SanDiego1K Feb 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome (Post 26174801)
Also, the change would add a 17 hour layover (from 5pm to 10am). Arriving at 5 pm, is that enough time to go into Tokyo and see anything?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. The airport is roughly 2 hours from the center of Tokyo and you need to factor in the time waiting for the airport limo. The train is faster, but then you have to get to your hotel from the train station as well as clearing immigration. I know many have stayed near Narita at hotels such as the Hilton Narita. That would save a lot of time, but I'm not sure what is interesting right around the hotel. For me, the hassle factor of overnighting would be greater than the benefit of flying F onward.

anubond005 Feb 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 26175201)
Personally, I wouldn't do it. The airport is roughly 2 hours from the center of Tokyo and you need to factor in the time waiting for the airport limo. The train is faster, but then you have to get to your hotel from the train station as well as clearing immigration. I know many have stayed near Narita at hotels such as the Hilton Narita. That would save a lot of time, but I'm not sure what is interesting right around the hotel. For me, the hassle factor of overnighting would be greater than the benefit of flying F onward.

You can also check on Narita city. It's 10-15 mins by local sub. It's a small nice city with a shrine.

khochurn Feb 14, 2016 9:05 am

I was typing out about how hard it to find availability in F when I check for seats in November and lo and behold, 3 seats were available! I am elated right now

silver02accord Feb 19, 2016 9:32 pm

We put 2 AA awards on hold for SAN to NRT. J outbound, coach return. When we put the res on hold they stated there was ability to upgrade to J on way back. Now when I call they state there are no flights available in coach or business for our dates. Is this typical of AA? I'm not overly concerned because we have our res on hold but found it interesting.

anubond005 Feb 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by silver02accord (Post 26214540)
We put 2 AA awards on hold for SAN to HND. J outbound, coach return. When we put the res on hold they stated there was ability to upgrade to J on way back. Now when I call they state there are no flights available in coach or business for our dates. Is this typical of AA? I'm not overly concerned because we have our res on hold but found it interesting.

I am sorry but I didnt get ur point. Ru saying its showing avail n AA saying no or the award booking n avail?

silver02accord Feb 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Just saying when we put our res on hold, there was additional inventory. Called back the next day and it was gone. I suppose thats how it works but not there is non inventory for a few days on either side.

*Delete*

ls Feb 23, 2016 1:46 pm

tried to get jal pvg-nrt-lax using AA on J
searched on ba wiht PVG-LAX and I can see 4 tickets availabe (pvg-nrt, and then nrt-lax).
called aa and was told only 2 available on the NRT-lax flight.
:(
went back to BA and searched NRT-LAX..and it does only got 2 (while I still saw 4 when using PVG-LAX to search) on the same flight..
any idea what's going on here?

thanks.

flyingeph12 Feb 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ls (Post 26232895)
tried to get jal pvg-nrt-lax using AA on J
searched on ba wiht PVG-LAX and I can see 4 tickets availabe (pvg-nrt, and then nrt-lax).
called aa and was told only 2 available on the NRT-lax flight.

went back to BA and searched NRT-LAX..and it does only got 2 (while I still saw 4 when using PVG-LAX to search) on the same flight..
any idea what's going on here?

thanks.

This is an issue with the BA search engine, particularly with connecting flights. There are likely 4 seats on PVG-NRT and only 2 seats on NRT-LAX, but the search will make it seem like there are 4 seats on both. The best way to check is to search PVG-LAX *for 4 pax*, and the itinerary that you're seeing likely will not show up as available.

ls Feb 23, 2016 3:33 pm

got it.
booked 2 seats and put 2 in coach now...hopefully JL can release more J/F ...:cool:

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 26233384)
This is an issue with the BA search engine, particularly with connecting flights. There are likely 4 seats on PVG-NRT and only 2 seats on NRT-LAX, but the search will make it seem like there are 4 seats on both. The best way to check is to search PVG-LAX *for 4 pax*, and the itinerary that you're seeing likely will not show up as available.

arfaczar Feb 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by ls (Post 26233414)
got it.
booked 2 seats and put 2 in coach now...hopefully JL can release more J/F ...:cool:

What dates were you looking for?