FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1347804-carrier-imposed-surcharge-yq-aa-award-ba-british-ib-avoiding.html)

Jonesdds Feb 4, 2017 8:05 pm

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

I've flown SJC to LHR on their 787-9 First, thought a great experience, definitely different from LAX to LHR experience it seems(basically First being business hard product wise if not soft....). I don't recall paying surcharges both ways but I think I probably did, based on what I've seen. Here's why, LAX to LHR 11.20 fees, AUS to LHR $900 plus. Can't even find availabilty SJC to LHR, loved the flight! Award travel surcharges. Why difference? All BA metal. Wonder what the comparison is but think not worth a thousand bucks vs. $11.20. I had thought the difference was AA metal vs BA but apparently not...

guv1976 Feb 4, 2017 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 27866525)
I've flown SJC to LHR on their 787-9 First, thought a great experience, definitely different from LAX to LHR experience it seems(basically First being business hard product wise if not soft....). I don't recall paying surcharges both ways but I think I probably did, based on what I've seen. Here's why, LAX to LHR 11.20 fees, AUS to LHR $900 plus. Can't even find availabilty SJC to LHR, loved the flight! Award travel surcharges. Why difference? All BA metal. Wonder what the comparison is but think not worth a thousand bucks vs. $11.20. I had thought the difference was AA metal vs BA but apparently not...

If you paid only $11.20 in fees, you were on AA metal, not BA metal. And $11.20 would cover the fees for two passengers, not one.

Jonesdds Feb 4, 2017 8:28 pm

No, BA metal non stop, not saver so 140 K.

nux Feb 4, 2017 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 27866591)
No, BA metal non stop, not saver so 140 K.

The $11.20 flight can only be AA metal. BA only has saver level availability and will always have high surcharges.

Jonesdds Feb 4, 2017 8:37 pm

Nope, not the case. Try it yourself. If in US. I get what your saying.....

nux Feb 4, 2017 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 27866615)
Nope, not the case. Try it yourself. If in US. I get what your saying.....

Please provide a screenshot or what flight number and date you're seeing this for.

Jonesdds Feb 4, 2017 8:39 pm

You're right, sorry, I'd misread it.

JDiver Feb 4, 2017 9:17 pm

It's easy to secure a SAAver award SJC-LHR and onward for 57,500 miles. The BA charges, including YQ listed as "Carrier imposed charges", total ~$375 for Business class. Not $11.20, not "a thousand bucks"

Jonesdds Feb 4, 2017 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 27866682)
It's easy to secure a SAAver award SJC-LHR and onward for 57,500 miles. The BA charges, including YQ listed as "Carrier imposed charges", total ~$375 for Business class. Not $11.20, not "a thousand bucks"

No interest in BAs crappy business, first on this leg is so much better than their other first, but was almost $500 each leg, hence $1000. Lot better options to Europe in business

mg0901 Feb 9, 2017 10:04 am

Using AA Miles to get from USA - Turkey

Any tips for getting from DFW - IST without tacking on egregious fees. Even if I find the TATL flight on American metal and then BA from LHR - IST, it's spitting out almost 200$ in taxes. :(

Boooo.

guv1976 Feb 9, 2017 10:11 am

Originally Posted by mg0901 (Post 27886880)
Any tips for getting from DFW - IST without tacking on egregious fees. Even if I find the TATL flight on American metal and then BA from LHR - IST, it's spitting out almost 200$ in taxes. :(

Boooo.

That's the best you can do: BA is the only AAdvantage partner that flies to IST from Europe.

mg0901 Feb 9, 2017 10:51 am

Thank you.

What if I tried to route through Doha on Qatar? DFW - DOHA - IST. Would it still price out at the 22,500 mile saaver (i'm going offpeak)? Or is this routing not allowed.

rdurlabhji Feb 9, 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by mg0901 (Post 27887122)
Thank you.

What if I tried to route through Doha on Qatar? DFW - DOHA - IST. Would it still price out at the 22,500 mile saaver (i'm going offpeak)? Or is this routing not allowed.

I don't think you are allowed to route through Doha or AUH. It would be two awards.

guv1976 Feb 9, 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji (Post 27887152)
I don't think you are allowed to route through Doha or AUH. It would be two awards.

Correct.

TGGDEL Feb 9, 2017 11:18 am

It is 2 awards, I've done it through both DOH and AUH. Still, as far as I'm concerned it's worth the added miles as it means you get to fly quality airlines. You backtrack a little, approx 3 hrs, which didn't bother me at all. And you get a nice long sleep on the way over, no rush service and quick nap before hitting the ground in a daze. Plus you can fly into SAW should you so please.

guv1976 Feb 9, 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 27887260)
It is 2 awards, I've done it through both DOH and AUH. Still, as far as I'm concerned it's worth the added miles as it means you get to fly quality airlines. You backtrack a little, approx 3 hrs, which didn't bother me at all. And you get a nice long sleep on the way over, no rush service and quick nap before hitting the ground in a daze. Plus you can fly into SAW should you so please.

For someone traveling in Coach (as the inquiring FTer hopes to), it makes little sense to pay 60,000 miles and some fees to route via the Middle East on two awards, versus 22,500 miles and about $200 to route via LON. To me, paying an extra 37,500 miles to save something less than $200 is crazy -- unless one wants to stop over for one or more days somewhere in the Middle East.

mg0901 Feb 10, 2017 10:00 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 27888275)
For someone traveling in Coach (as the inquiring FTer hopes to), it makes little sense to pay 60,000 miles and some fees to route via the Middle East on two awards, versus 22,500 miles and about $200 to route via LON. To me, paying an extra 37,500 miles to save something less than $200 is crazy -- unless one wants to stop over for one or more days somewhere in the Middle East.

Yup, agreed. Thanks for the answers, everyone. This helps!

G-CIVC Feb 10, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm trying to price an award DUB-LHR-SFO in BA J (yes, don't judge...)

BA.com US (dummy Avios booking) quotes around $250 in taxes and fees and AA.com quotes $290. I looked at the components and the only difference is in the YQ. Why would AA charge a higher YQ? With such difference I would assume that it is not currency fluctuations too...

Dave Noble Feb 10, 2017 5:29 pm

I would suspect that AA is charging YQ for DUB-LHR plus YQ for LHR-SFO whilst BA is charging YQ for DUB-SFO

Can you not get a routing on , say , EI directly from DUB to USA?

G-CIVC Feb 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27893313)
I would suspect that AA is charging YQ for DUB-LHR plus YQ for LHR-SFO whilst BA is charging YQ for DUB-SFO

Can you not get a routing on , say , EI directly from DUB to USA?

Thanks. I'm inclined to believe that's the case but I looked on BA.com separately, no YQ for DUB-LHR but YQ for LHR-SFO is not exactly what AA wants to charge for YQ DUB-LHR-SFO (but close enough).

I thought it's not possible to book EI with AA miles. And I guess BA is still 'better' than EI......

beltway Feb 11, 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mg0901 (Post 27886880)

I assume DFW-PHL-ATH + a cheap cash fare ATH-IST doesn't appeal to you. (And granted, PHL-ATH is only seasonal.)

BigMouthStrikesAgain Mar 31, 2017 12:03 pm

Ugh! BA fees... Creative ideas welcome!

Hi,

My parents have roughly 200k AA miles each. One has 80k United Miles, the other has 12k United.

They live in south Florida (FLL, MIA). They are travelling into Kilamanjaro (JRO) in June and departing Livingston (LVI) in July. They are also trying to visit a friend in London on one side of this trip.
I am trying to work a nice comfortable business class trip out for them, without depleting all of their miles AND all of their cash. The best itinerary I found for 1 portion of the trip was 75,000 miles plus $650 pp. I tried calling AA to see if there were options for MIA-DOH-JRO but they showed no avail. I checked the BA Avios site to look for Qatar availabilty but I couldn't find JRO either.
For you AAa members, any creative ideas? Any way to reduce BA's high surcharges? Or alternate/hidden city ideas?
Thank you in advance!

handspring088 Mar 31, 2017 12:13 pm

I'd try AA metal into London. In order to fly to JRO, you have a few options. BA can get you to NBO, and then take Precision Air into Arusha. Obviously, BA has the huge surcharges for that one leg. The other two carriers into JRO that might work are KLM from Amsterdam and Turkish Airways from IST. Don't know if you have enough Star Alliance miles to do that, though. As you noted, Qatar does fly in from Doha, but award seats are very few.

JJeffrey Mar 31, 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by BigMouthStrikesAgain (Post 28112041)
Hi,

My parents have roughly 200k AA miles each. One has 80k United Miles, the other has 12k United.

They live in south Florida (FLL, MIA). They are travelling into Kilamanjaro (JRO) in June and departing Livingston (LVI) in July. They are also trying to visit a friend in London on one side of this trip.
I am trying to work a nice comfortable business class trip out for them, without depleting all of their miles AND all of their cash. The best itinerary I found for 1 portion of the trip was 75,000 miles plus $650 pp. I tried calling AA to see if there were options for MIA-DOH-JRO but they showed no avail. I checked the BA Avios site to look for Qatar availabilty but I couldn't find JRO either.
For you AAa members, any creative ideas? Any way to reduce BA's high surcharges? Or alternate/hidden city ideas?
Thank you in advance!

QR is for sure the way to go if you can find availability. QR generally doesn't release any business award seats on the US-DOH routes on Fridays or Saturdays, with Thurs & Sun being hit or miss depending on the city. Mon/Tues/Wed will have much more space.

Using your BA account, search all of QR's US gateways to DOH, not just MIA. Think ATL, IAH, DFW, ORD, IAD, etc. Find space on the long segment, then search the DOH-JRO flight separately. From most gateways it looks like this will require an overnight in DOH, make sure you keep the dates straight.

If you find flights that line up on BA, call AA and give the AAgent the flights segment by segment. You can then have them search for the flight from MIA to the gateway on AA, which they can include in the same award.

lksf Apr 1, 2017 11:17 am

weird taxes on reward ticket

Hi,

Looking on a reward ticket possibility EUR-NA and finding weird taxes and fees.
The availability is BA both ways with connection in LHR, and I know they have huge LHR taxes but -
one way outbound, only available in Y, if I want to book it, the taxes are ~$270
one way inbound, only available in F, taxes are ~$500
roundtrip, same itineraries exactly (outbound Y, inbound F, BA flights, connections in LHR) total taxes ~$470.

HUH?

flyerCO Apr 1, 2017 11:22 am

BA adds major carrier imposed surcharges. This is a known issue with BA flights. It's why there's in general award availability on BA flights even when none on others.

guv1976 Apr 1, 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by lksf (Post 28115918)
Hi,

Looking on a reward ticket possibility EUR-NA and finding weird taxes and fees.
The availability is BA both ways with connection in LHR, and I know they have huge LHR taxes but -
one way outbound, only available in Y, if I want to book it, the taxes are ~$270
one way inbound, only available in F, taxes are ~$500
roundtrip, same itineraries exactly (outbound Y, inbound F, BA flights, connections in LHR) total taxes ~$470.

HUH?

It's not the taxes or the LHR PSC that varies; it's the carrier-imposed surcharges that AA collects for award travel on BA. Those surcharges can vary considerably, depending on where the award travel originates. Thus a roundtrip award issued on a single ticket originating in Europe will have different carrier-imposed fees that two one ways, where one originates in Europe, and the other originates in the U.S.

BigMouthStrikesAgain Apr 4, 2017 4:30 pm

Thank you for your help! We found MIA-DOH-DAR for 75,000 and $19 in taxes/fees. Sure beats 75k and $600 on BA!

wesbob Apr 8, 2017 8:43 pm

Help with ??? on BA flights via AA miles?

I'm not sure if I understand exactly how the oneworld partner awards work so please bare with me.

I've searched on the BA website for a trip from JFK-BKK in business and found award availability. The flights are both on BA. It goes JFK-LHR-BKK. Is this a valid iteniary to book with aa miles via customer service and will it only cost me the 70K miles?

rjw242 Apr 8, 2017 8:52 pm

You can book BA flights on AA.com. No need to go through customer service. Huge fees will apply.

mvoight Apr 8, 2017 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 28148787)
You can book BA flights on AA.com. No need to go through customer service. Huge fees will apply.

To fly to Asia on one AA award from the US, you have to go westbound.
To go JFK-LHR, LHR-BKK would require 2 awards
Additionally, you will be charged a hefty amount in fuel surcharges if you use BA for award travel

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp
Travel to Asia1 and Asia2 both indicate "Transpacific only"

JDiver Apr 8, 2017 11:23 pm

Read the Wikiposts and threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ssistance.html

jridge Apr 8, 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by wesbob (Post 28148766)
please bare with me.

:eek:

BIZDOCK May 4, 2017 11:00 am

IAD-LHR-MAA BA RT adds $520 taxes

Any way to avoid it? Using AA miles.
It doesnt have to be through LHR. Would love to fly Etihad!

JDiver May 4, 2017 11:07 am

Originally Posted by BIZDOCK (Post 28267434)
It doesnt have to be through LHR. Would love to fly Etihad!

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28149101)

Mwenenzi May 5, 2017 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by BIZDOCK (Post 28267434)
IAD-LHR-MAA BA RT adds $520 taxes

It doesn't have to be through LHR. Would love to fly Etihad!

You are confusing real taxes and carrier imposed surcharges on awards(=100% airline profit).
Real taxes are the same on the same route/class of travel for all airlines.
Surcharges can trigger additional real taxes if the flight goes from 'non revenue" to "revenue"

dornec May 9, 2017 12:53 pm

Ideas to Avoid BA flight to anywhere using AA Miles

Seems like AA pushes customers to use BA [at least in part] for flights to Europe, Africa, etc with a high cost of taxes and fees.... How can I get around this when i am trying to fly to Europe or Africa using AA miles??

JDiver May 9, 2017 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dornec (Post 28289304)
Seems like AA pushes customers to use BA [at least in part] for flights to Europe, Africa, etc with a high cost of taxes and fees.... How can I get around this when i am trying to fly to Europe or Africa using AA miles??

Best thing to do is search for existing threads with lots of useful information shared by others. ;)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html.

AA doesn't so much push as flyers avoid using BA, leaving BA with plenty of award availability.

Thread closed. /Moderator

FlyerBeek May 27, 2017 1:08 am

better understanding taxes/fees on combined AA/BA awards

More of an academic curiosity than anything else, but I need help better understanding taxes/fees assessed on combined AA/BA award tickets (and I'm not talking about the UK APD or BA YQ fees)...

I currently have an AA award ticket on AA100 JFK-LHR in business class. Taxes/fees totaled $5.60 (just the US security fee). I'm now looking to simply add a connecting BA LHR-VCE business class award segment. AA is quoting an add/collect of $86.70 due to BA taxes/fess. That seems high, especially since there is no UK APD due (LHR connection is <24hrs). For comparison purposes, on AA.com the standalone LHR-VCE business class award segment prices out at just $65.70 in total taxes/fees (which correctly includes the UK APD). Although not exactly relevant, a BA Avios award booking prices at just $40 in taxes/fees for the exact same flight.

Any idea why it's costing $21 more to simply transit LHR as opposed to originating there for the same flight segment? Shouldn't transiting LHR be cheaper in taxes/fees considering there's no APD involved?

-FlyerBeek

AAExecPlatFlier May 27, 2017 1:45 am

It may have to do with the US taxes changing as the BA YQ might trigger some additional US fees.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 28365231)
More of an academic curiosity than anything else, but I need help better understanding taxes/fees assessed on combined AA/BA award tickets (and I'm not talking about the UK APD or BA YQ fees)...

I currently have an AA award ticket on AA100 JFK-LHR in business class. Taxes/fees totaled $5.60 (just the US security fee). I'm now looking to simply add a connecting BA LHR-VCE business class award segment. AA is quoting an add/collect of $86.70 due to BA taxes/fess. That seems high, especially since there is no UK APD due (LHR connection is <24hrs). For comparison purposes, on AA.com the standalone LHR-VCE business class award segment prices out at just $65.70 in total taxes/fees (which correctly includes the UK APD). Although not exactly relevant, a BA Avios award booking prices at just $40 in taxes/fees for the exact same flight.

Any idea why it's costing $21 more to simply transit LHR as opposed to originating there for the same flight segment? Shouldn't transiting LHR be cheaper in taxes/fees considering there's no APD involved?

-FlyerBeek