Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing £6 for one person or £11 for a family one way, £11 for one person and £21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chenalex
1. I'm flying from LAX-LHR-ARN next week and my layover is 2hrs 15 mins. That should be doable, even going between terminals right? DOes being OW Sapphire make me eligible for fast track security?
2. On the return, I have a ~6hour layover at LHR. Land at London from CPH at around 8:30AM, flying out at 3:15PM to LAX. Is that enough time to take the train into London and walk around?
1) 2:15 is plenty, you can use the fast track security as a Sapphire, when you approach the boarding pass check at T5 it's all the way on the right side.

2) 6 hrs will be enough to head into London, walk around maybe grab a bite of lunch, but not much else. With such a quick visit I would take the Heathrow Express into town (15 mins) as opposed to the tube (30 mins - 1 hr depending where you go). It's quicker but obviously more expensive. The biggest factor will be clearing immigration at LHR (assume US citizen?), sometimes it can take 5 mins and other times 30.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
1) 2:15 is plenty, you can use the fast track security as a Sapphire, when you approach the boarding pass check at T5 it's all the way on the right side.

2) 6 hrs will be enough to head into London, walk around maybe grab a bite of lunch, but not much else. With such a quick visit I would take the Heathrow Express into town (15 mins) as opposed to the tube (30 mins - 1 hr depending where you go). It's quicker but obviously more expensive. The biggest factor will be clearing immigration at LHR (assume US citizen?), sometimes it can take 5 mins and other times 30.
Thanks for the response!

Will my companion also be eligible for fast track? We're on the same reservation but she doesn't hold any status.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chenalex
Thanks for the response!

Will my companion also be eligible for fast track? We're on the same reservation but she doesn't hold any status.
Shouldn't be an issue, typically just saying "she's with me" works in 95% of companion situations, be it at check-in, security, boarding, etc.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:48 pm

Late Night LHR Arrival

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit off the connection topic, but I thought I would post here rather than starting a new thread. I did search, unsuccessfully.

I am taking the 9 am AA departure from ORD to LHR, that will arrive just before 11 pm BST.

I might want to transfer to T 4 to stay in Hilton *or* stay in another nearby hotel. But I am afraid that Hoppa will have ceased service by then, as will inter LHR terminal shuttles.

I hate to ask a taxi (who has been waiting for a fare to central London) to take me on a five minute ride.

Suggestions?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by observer
Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit off the connection topic, but I thought I would post here rather than starting a new thread. I did search, unsuccessfully.

I am taking the 9 am AA departure from ORD to LHR, that will arrive just before 11 pm BST.

I might want to transfer to T 4 to stay in Hilton *or* stay in another nearby hotel. But I am afraid that Hoppa will have ceased service by then, as will inter LHR terminal shuttles.

I hate to ask a taxi (who has been waiting for a fare to central London) to take me on a five minute ride.

Suggestions?

Many thanks.
If you stay at the T4 Hilton you can clear immigration at T3 then proceed to arrivals and take the Heathrow Express/Connect (done it several times but don't remember which one runs T3 to T4) to T4 where you can walk to the Hilton. There is lots of detailed info on getting to the Hilton in the dedicated threads over in the Hilton forum.

If you stay at another hotel, I'd search the hotel forums here similar to the above or check with the hotel directly to see the easiest transport options for a late night arrival.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:02 pm

Thanks very much. Arrival is too late for Heathrow Express, and Connect would be dicey.

I will pursue your suggestion to look at hotel pages.

Appreciate your response.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Hi,

Heathrow has a good website with lots of useful information.

That website says that the Hoppa runs until midnight. Info and timetables at the following link.

https://www.heathrow.com/transport-a...es/hotel-buses
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi,

Suggestions?

Many thanks.
As an alternative to the HEX you can get the tube to T4, the last tubes are much later than the HEX. It is a bit more convoluted as you would get any tube heading to London for one stop to Hatton Cross, then go across the platform and wait for a T4 bound train. You would need a contactless payment card or osyter card to tap in and out but it would be free.

For the HEX it used to be the case until a few weeks ago that you didn't need any card. However, as party of the work to integrate Crossrail there are now TfL barriers at HEX stations and you either need a contactless payment card or osyter card to tap in and out, or you need to get a free transfer ticket from one of the new machines - more details on this in the last few posts of the connection guide guide in the BAEC board A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:08 am

Hi,
I've been told the taxis can go back to the head of the line if they get a short ride to one of the LHR hotels. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
I've been told the taxis can go back to the head of the line if they get a short ride to one of the LHR hotels. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this.
I think that may be correct. However, don't expect the taxi driver to be too happy about taking such a fare, and it will be very expensive. Uber or private taxi booking might be a better option if an inter terminal transfer is needed and no other option is available.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Hi,

Suggestions?

Many thanks.
This is not my info, but I saved it from a T3 arrival overnight at the Renaissance (recommended!) back in April:

Choices are, taxi, easier, fastest and even in London should be quite cheap as its such a short distance. Hoppa buses are another choice and for 1 person probably cheaper than a taxi. Cheapest of all is the free London Transport Bath Road buses, there are several and you're generally never more than a 10 min wait from the next one. For this you need to go to the Bus station, which is clearly marked, there's then 2 rows of stops, you need to be in the one furthest from the wall, where all the red busesstop (not the White national express coaches which travel far further afield). Numbers 145 and 109 definitely go down Bath Road, but if in any doubt just ask the driver of the bus goes down Bath Road. The bus itself is not free, so you'll see some passengers paying but don't be put off they're just in the bus for a longer journey.

Once you set off on the bus, you'll turn out and go under the runways via a long tunnel and emerge at a set of traffic lights where the bus will turn right and pass the Holiday Inn on the left. Keep looking left and you'll see the Texaco garage, get off there, the Ren is just down the road on the other side. It's a easy journey but much easier when using the bus for the Ren to LHR! Total journey time only about 5 mins!
  • at Heathrow, follow signs to the bus terminal - keeping in mind that "coach" is the common usage, rather than bus, in England;
  • ask the (very helpful) staff at the information desk which of the many buses stop right next to the hotel - I've never waited more than 10 minutes for a city bus, and normally it's less than 5 minutes;
  • for your return trip - at the hotel - they have signs (and convenient pieces of paper to drop in your pocket) with a list of all of the buses that stop at the airport;
  • easy, convenient, fast, free - what's not to like????
  • special bonus - head upstairs when you board the bus - sit in the front row and check out the view - enjoy one of the great London experiences!
In my experience, the Hoppa bus is inefficient and overpriced in comparison. The Hoppa makes more sense if you're going somewhere that isn't as conveniently serviced. But - for the Renaissance - it's basically a waste of money, and it often takes longer.

Safe travels!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
This is not my info, but I saved it from a T3 arrival overnight at the Renaissance (recommended!) back in April:
Thanks, appreciate it isn't your info so my comments aren't aimed at you.

Choices are, taxi, easier, fastest and even in London should be quite cheap as its such a short distance.
Definitely NOT cheap! Taxis from any terminal to any nearby hotel are not recommended unless you have no other choice.

Hoppa buses are another choice and for 1 person probably cheaper than a taxi.
Hoppa buses are expensive for what they are. Perhaps useful if you have lots of luggage and can't get the tube/TfL bus. However they are not direct and often taken long routes via several hotels so it is far from a quick option.

Cheapest of all is the free London Transport Bath Road buses, there are several and you're generally never more than a 10 min wait from the next one. For this you need to go to the Bus station, which is clearly marked, there's then 2 rows of stops, you need to be in the one furthest from the wall, where all the red busesstop (not the White national express coaches which travel far further afield). Numbers 145 and 109 definitely go down Bath Road, but if in any doubt just ask the driver of the bus goes down Bath Road.
I think the bus numbers are out of date. This is a useful map http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-...w-t23-0117.pdf

For the Renaissance you would get off at Bath Road - Boltons Lane.

The bus itself is not free, so you'll see some passengers paying but don't be put off they're just in the bus for a longer journey.
Between Heathrow Central and most Bath Road hotels (including the Renaissance) the TfL buses are free - you do not need to tap in with a card on boarding unless going beyond Harlington Corner. It is only if you are going further than Harlington Corner that you have to pay - i.e. beyond the stop marked with a yellow 7.

keeping in mind that "coach" is the common usage, rather than bus, in England;
They are definitely commonly called buses in England - and the signs at LHR refer to buses.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:02 am

Thanks, @KARFA, for the updates in accuracy.

I suppose "cheap" for a taxi is relative. I paid £16 from T3 to the Renaissance for 2 people and a few suitcases in April. A bit high, yes, but I enjoyed the ease and speed of it. I know Uber is cheaper.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
Thanks, @KARFA, for the updates in accuracy.

I suppose "cheap" for a taxi is relative. I paid £16 from T3 to the Renaissance for 2 people and a few suitcases in April. A bit high, yes, but I enjoyed the ease and speed of it. I know Uber is cheaper.
yes point taken. I am a tight Yorkshireman so I would tend to balk at that kind of fare for such a short distance
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

yes point taken. I am a tight Yorkshireman so I would tend to balk at that kind of fare for such a short distance
Well, it's $16 USD just for me to Uber home at DFW. And I live exactly 5km "as the crow flies" from the airport.

Still beats the ole taxis, which use to charge $20 flat just to get OFF DFW airport premises. The meter started thereafter.
JDiver, KARFA and thunderlounge like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.