Wiki Posts
Search

Why Earn LP's after 200k?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
Why Earn LP's after 200k?

Is there any advantage to earning LP's after 200k besides getting a higher upgrade priority?

I assume Concierge Key is still based on Revenue and is somewhat decoupled from LPs?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Upgrade priority and additional elite choices.

asnovici likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus if you are getting LP you are also getting RDM.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

The loyalty choice is only if i do 30 segments.

If i have 20 F long haul segments... I still wont qualify.

Is that waived at the 200k mark?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:26 pm

No

Originally Posted by ambush276
The loyalty choice is only if i do 30 segments.

If i have 20 F long haul segments... I still wont qualify.

Is that waived at the 200k mark?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Ok... So basically ... Just higher upgrade priority and more rdm... Pretty weak imo.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok... So basically ... Just higher upgrade priority and more rdm... Pretty weak imo.
And more awards. Exactly like it was before.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
In your case, seems like this is the case as you’re short the 30 segments. If you’re always paying F, then yeah maybe the RDMs don’t matter.

If you aren’t flying on AA / OW, who would you fly on / would you be building status elsewhere?

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
And more awards. Exactly like it was before.
Exactly.

I value the extra rewards and priority as having a high rolling LP (and formerly EQD) has definitely cleared a few upgrades that would have otherwise been no-go’s. I’m also happy that they bumped up the number of levels as I maxed out under the old scheme, though the EQM approach was easier to obtain if done correctly.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, BA, KE
Not much to gain at that stage. What I'm seeing is that AA is becoming more of a marketing company raher than an airline operations company. I worry that AA management will pay limited attention to actually operating a good airline in the future.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
In your case, seems like this is the case as you’re short the 30 segments. If you’re always paying F, then yeah maybe the RDMs don’t matter.

If you aren’t flying on AA / OW, who would you fly on / would you be building status elsewhere?

Exactly.

I value the extra rewards and priority as having a high rolling LP (and formerly EQD) has definitely cleared a few upgrades that would have otherwise been no-go’s. I’m also happy that they bumped up the number of levels as I maxed out under the old scheme, though the EQM approach was easier to obtain if done correctly.
Yeah. I would try to get *Gold at this point and not fly AA or its partners after i hit 200kish. I dont see hitting 30 segments in a year... But will easily surpass 20k in eqds.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Under the old program, why continue to fly AA after hitting EQM/EQS/EQD? More EQD for higher upgrade priority, more EQMS to earn additional SWUs, or chasing CK. The calculus hasn’t really changed; if those things are of more interest than gaining status on another carrier, keep flying AA, otherwise redirect your efforts.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:52 am

I'm not going to go much over as my strategy now is to use hotel points and shopping points in my wife's account to get her to EXP, too
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Yes... They screwed the high rev flyer who flies 15-25 segments per year.

I will probably just focus on non AA metal flights for longhaul as getting swus seems unlikely at this point.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by hdp323
I worry that AA management will pay limited attention to actually operating a good airline in the future.
That ship has sailed anyway! Long ago!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Yes... They screwed the high rev flyer who flies 15-25 segments per year.

I will probably just focus on non AA metal flights for longhaul as getting swus seems unlikely at this point.
Yes they sort of did. I have never had more than 15-20 segments in a year but will more than max out all the LP tiers this year. Never thought I would ever need to do a “Segment run” (and I never will). Haha.

Last edited by davecraze; Apr 26, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.