Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS Boeing 757-200 (B75H Hawaii version) [RETIRED FROM FLEET]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Legacy US Airways / America West 757-2S7 ("B75H") to / from Hawai'i
Returning to Lessor mid-2018

This "West" or "Hawaii" (B75H) (ex-HP) aircraft is distinguished by offering 14 First class seats (2x2 across, 38" pitch, ~20" width reclining seats), 176 standard "Main Cabin" / economy seats (3x3 across, 32" pitch, 17" width) including 10? exit row seats designated Main Cabin Extra.

These aircraft are being retired from AA service and returned to their lessor and will be replaced by the Legacy U. S. Airways "East" (non-HP, US 757-2B7 / B57E with 12 "Envoy" angled flat 2 x 2 seats in First, 164 standard "Main Cabin" seats with 12 exit row seats designated MCE, beginning in April 2018. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)

No power, no IFE; at least the LHP "West" 752s (like the LAA "Eisenhower" F seats) have no head rests.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS Boeing 757-200 (B75H Hawaii version) [RETIRED FROM FLEET]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Rojo
On December 22 I flew HNL-PHX (AA655) on N937UW in F. I was in 3F and I can confirm that the First Class seats are the same ones available on the A32B and A319's just no IFE. Total of 12 F Seats.
So they have power? Were you provided an entertainment tablet or anything?
Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: WN A-List, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SBUX Gold
Just did PHX-LIH that was swapped from new configuration to the old. A lot of unhappy flyers displaced from MCE. The most miserable flight of my life, and I've flown on Ryanair.

aa.com shows the old configuration today and the new Jan 3 and beyond. What's the deal? Has PHX-LIH been the new configuration but one went tech? Or was AA too optimistic about when new new configuration frames would be ready?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by bloxomo
Just did PHX-LIH that was swapped from new configuration to the old. A lot of unhappy flyers displaced from MCE. The most miserable flight of my life, and I've flown on Ryanair.

aa.com shows the old configuration today and the new Jan 3 and beyond. What's the deal? Has PHX-LIH been the new configuration but one went tech? Or was AA too optimistic about when new new configuration frames would be ready?
I think the bad weather this past week and the thousands of flights affected have caused several equipment to not follow their intended dispatch. Your flight may have been one of them. IIRC, all but one of the 14F/176Y 757s are set to be retired this month. And that one exception, I believe, is a 757 which was originally built for ATA or North American early last decade and acquired by US about 9 or 10 years ago. However, I'm not sure if that one has alreaday been converted to the 12 (domestic) F version.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think the bad weather this past week and the thousands of flights affected have caused several equipment to not follow their intended dispatch. Your flight may have been one of them. IIRC, all but one of the 14F/176Y 757s are set to be retired this month. And that one exception, I believe, is a 757 which was originally built for ATA or North American early last decade and acquired by US about 9 or 10 years ago. However, I'm not sure if that one has alreaday been converted to the 12 (domestic) F version.
Seems very possible...but don't the Hawaii 757s just go back and forth between the mainland and Hawaii? It would be good for me and Mrs. Bloxomo if that is the reason, since they should have things back to normal by our return (barring more bad weather). Just noticed the Jan 3 flight has been switched to the old 14F/176Y config. Still a few days after that to get things straightened out for us.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Seems very possible...but don't the Hawaii 757s just go back and forth between the mainland and Hawaii? It would be good for me and Mrs. Bloxomo if that is the reason, since they should have things back to normal by our return (barring more bad weather). Just noticed the Jan 3 flight has been switched to the old 14F/176Y config. Still a few days after that to get things straightened out for us.
No, they do other routes as well. It is quite common to get a 757 on PHX-DCA.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by cosmith
Any new information about the retrofit? Will be flying PHX-HNL in a few days. Seat map shows rows 1-3 F, 8-10 Y, 11 half row, 12 has 2 MCE seats followed by bulkhead, exit row, and rest of cabin...
That's the same config I see. So are there true MCE seats here or no?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by infamousdx
That's the same config I see. So are there true MCE seats here or no?
Yes. The pmUS domestic 757s were 14F/176Y. These reconfigured former intl) pmUS 757s are 12F/176Y. However, I'm not sure how many MCE seats there are exactly.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:44 pm

Can anyone tell me what kind of 757 I'm flying to LIH at the end of the month? I see that AA has changed aircraft. I did try calling AA today to ask what the pitch, etc. was in the new aircraft. She said she didn't have that info, (WHAT)..just that we were still in 1st class and it was a 757. This configuration has 3 rows. We're flying PHX/LIH.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 1lyndihop
Can anyone tell me what kind of 757 I'm flying to LIH at the end of the month? I see that AA has changed aircraft. I did try calling AA today to ask what the pitch, etc. was in the new aircraft. She said she didn't have that info, (WHAT)..just that we were still in 1st class and it was a 757. This configuration has 3 rows. We're flying PHX/LIH.
Definitely the new one (unless AA changes metal at the last minute). Still waiting on a good trip report of the F cabin...please fill in the blanks after your flight.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidsc111
Definitely the new one (unless AA changes metal at the last minute). Still waiting on a good trip report of the F cabin...please fill in the blanks after your flight.
Not necessarily. If there are 3 rows of Y seats on one side and 4 rows of Y on the opposite side before the 2L/R exits, then it is the new configuration with 12 domestic F seats. If it's just 1 row on one side and 2 rows on the opposite side, then it is the one with the 12 old Envoy seats (and yet to be reconfigured).
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:33 am

Just looked at an arbitrarily chosen date next week. PHX to CUN, LIH, KOA, OGG, and HNL (x2) are all showing the new configuration. But there are only 2 aircraft in the new configuration so far. I don't know how AA decides which routes get the new configuration, but the ones that don't seem to get updated seat maps around midnight CST the day of the flight. flightradar24.com seems to be about a day ahead of that. If you see N205UW or N937UW then you're getting the new configuration (unless AA decides to change things up again, which it seems they have no qualms doing). Otherwise, it is one of the tired old planes and you'll have to see what they do to your seat assignments. I guess the silver lining to getting the old configuration is two more F seats for upgrades to clear into.

Why would AA choose to list these flights as all new configuration? Doesn't it cause more frustration to switch from a configuration with more good coach seats to one with fewer than the other way around?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would AA choose to list these flights as all new configuration? Doesn't it cause more frustration to switch from a configuration with more good coach seats to one with fewer than the other way around?
Probably not. As aircraft swaps can work both ways. A flight listed in the old configuration can be swapped out at the last minute for one in the new configuration. They both have 176 Y seats (although the new configuration has MCE seats). But the old one has 14 F seats versus 12. So listing it as a new configuration and then swapping last-minute to an old one doesn't mean you have to downgrade 2 people from F versus the other way around. Either way, someone is going to be unhappy (someone seated in F; someone seated in MCE). Also, it could be that other aircraft are currently in the process of being reconfigured. And I don't think this process takes up too much time. IIRC, nothing more is being done to them than taking out the old J seats and replacing them with a few rows of F and Y seats.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:24 am

Our seat chart shows on fl. 684 3 rows on each side. The previous aircraft we were on had 4 on one and 3 on the other. Strange that AA can't give me any info.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Probably not. As aircraft swaps can work both ways. A flight listed in the old configuration can be swapped out at the last minute for one in the new configuration. They both have 176 Y seats (although the new configuration has MCE seats). But the old one has 14 F seats versus 12. So listing it as a new configuration and then swapping last-minute to an old one doesn't mean you have to downgrade 2 people from F versus the other way around. Either way, someone is going to be unhappy (someone seated in F; someone seated in MCE). Also, it could be that other aircraft are currently in the process of being reconfigured. And I don't think this process takes up too much time. IIRC, nothing more is being done to them than taking out the old J seats and replacing them with a few rows of F and Y seats.
They could not sell the two extra F seats. They could also do a better job of reassigning seats when the swap is made to preserve exit row seats. If they switch from old to new then a bunch of people are happy about an unexpected switch to MCE.

But I guess they've done the math and decided that the chance to sell the 2 extra F seats plus MCE outweighs the cost of annoyed passengers and processing MCE refunds. And also that it is not worth the time to come up with a better seat reassignment algorithm.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
When they are in the process of reconfiguring aircraft, they have to pick something. It is better to go with the 12F version, so they don't end up downgrading any F passengers. As far as the computer is concerned, there are the same number of Y seats on both configs.

What you are pointing out is only a downside for passengers flying during this time. From a purely operational perspective, AA has done this sort of thing for years. We discuss this on FT everytime there is a major reconfig.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.