FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1185113-archive-lus-757-200-b75e-etops-east-transat-none-left-dec-2017-a.html)

BoeingBoy May 1, 2012 10:28 pm

I assume it was an east bird also. I don't know but would suspect that pilots who have flown both would like an A321 with the performance of the 757. Most pilots who have flown the Airbus like the more spacious flight deck the wider fuselage gives and the automation (at least a generation newer than the 757). But I've never heard a pilot say that they didn't like the performance of the 757 better.

Jim

ayrshiredude May 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Envoy

Hi Guys

I am traveling from GLA to PHL at the end of August in Envoy and was wondering what to expect. The last time I was over I went from Heathrow on a a332 which had the new Suites and really enjoyed it. Very comfortable seat, FA was amazingly friendly and the food was good. Started off with access to the lounge.

What can I expect on the 757? Do I get lounge access at Glasgow? or at PHLy on the return journey? What is the older seat like? Obviously nothing compared to the Suites but is it still pretty comfortable?

Still looking forward to it and I am sure it will beat economy lol

RMINIONE May 22, 2012 2:28 pm

In GLA you will get lounge access to the Sky Lounge. Make sure you get an entrance coupon from the Agent at check-in. In PHL you will also get acccess to rhe US Club- just show your envoy boarding pass The 757 are showing their age. The envoy seats are fine but nothing like the 332. Beats seating in Y

BoeingBoy May 22, 2012 5:17 pm

The 757 uses the old Envoy seats removed from the A330's - 160-170 degrees recline. Not nearly as nice as the Suites.

Jim

Biggie Fries May 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by ayrshiredude (Post 18623551)
What can I expect on the 757?

:( You can expect that you'll be wishing you were on an A330.

:) But, yes, does beat coach (although I am partial to 9C or whatever the left aisle exit row is on the TATL 757s in Y).

ayrshiredude May 24, 2012 5:19 am

Thanks for the advice :)

One other thing it shows that there is a single seat as 3F as I am traveling on my own is this a good seat to have? I currently have taken seat 2F would it be worth while changing to this?

PHL May 24, 2012 5:53 am

Envoy

3f is fine. Your seat mate will sometimes be a pilot getting rest.

ayrshiredude May 24, 2012 6:08 am

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 18633665)
3f is fine. Your seat mate will sometimes be a pilot getting rest.

Oh so there is a seat there? the seat map shows nothing

geo1005 May 24, 2012 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ayrshiredude (Post 18633721)
Oh so there is a seat there? the seat map shows nothing

Yes there is a seat there. It's reserved for a crew rest (pilots). Given how short of a flight GLA-PHL is, you may not ever have a pilot utilize it. If they do it won't be for very long and almost certainly after meal service is completed.

thomwithanh May 24, 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by geo1005 (Post 18634159)
Yes there is a seat there. It's reserved for a crew rest (pilots). Given how short of a flight GLA-PHL is, you may not ever have a pilot utilize it. If they do it won't be for very long and almost certainly after meal service is completed.

It's more for flights coming from deeper into Europe that can be very long on the return with headwinds.

ayrshiredude May 24, 2012 9:54 am

Ah ok thanks so is it the same as any other seat in Envoy as far as legroom and recline go?

phlwookie May 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Yes. I recall row 1 having less legroom, but this isn't an issue in rows 2 and 3.

PHL May 27, 2012 6:57 am

I'm 5'11" and my feet still don't touch the bulkhead when I'm fully reclined in row 1. I also like that there's no seat in front of me. It's much easier for the window seat person to get up and step over my legs without me having to move.

RMINIONE Jun 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Any idea when these 757's will be replaced? I fly to GLA often and between UA/CO and US, I pick US during the summer to avoid EWR. I"m sure it will be a few more years but was just wondering.

PHL Jun 21, 2012 5:55 am

Originally Posted by RMINIONE (Post 18791806)
Any idea when these 757's will be replaced? I fly to GLA often and between UA/CO and US, I pick US during the summer to avoid EWR. I"m sure it will be a few more years but was just wondering.

The 757 seems right sized for thin routes like GLA, AMS, etc. The only logical replacement on those routes would be the 767, as it has roughly 20 more seats. The A330 and future A350 deliveries (2017) are too big for these kinds of routes.

But, ultimately the 757/767 fleet will retire leaving only the wide body airbuses to fly the international routes. What will become of these smaller European cities? Maybe the A321 NEO if it ever flies and proves it can make the range.