Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Domestic Admirals Clubs Offer Complimentary Alcoholic Drinks /Beverages (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Admirals Clubs Offer Complimentary Alcoholic Drinks /Beverages (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Awesome news!

I'll be visiting the LGA AC club for the first time on October 1st. A nice red wine will be a great way to break in my new home airport's AC!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
means that we non-drinkers will be subsidizing the drinking habits of others.
I sure would like to thank you...

Thank You!!!

Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SaksFirst Plat (hey, if we're listing loyalty programmes....)
Originally Posted by scubadu
Uh, well of course that is what you think; you're only willing to see this issue through your own personal prism of being a non-drinker. You seem to be unwilling to view the situation through the eyes of the drunk who hates tuna.

Further, below is just one very, very small example of how hard it is for a large company like AA to create policies and procedures that satisfy Americans. We are a completely polarized nation at this point; be it politics or anything else.

For every guy that wants free bottled water there's someone that wants to save the planet.

For every drunk that wants the taps open for free there is a teetotaler that is offended at having to "subsidize" them.

For every person that wants free Wifi there is someone that does not want it because they have an Aircard.

And whether you like it or not, I suspect the vast, vast (likely by orders of magnitude) majority of AC members want complimentary (that's the classy word for "free" ) alcoholic beverages. AA is responding in a capitalistic manner to a perceived market need. That's actually a beautiful thing.

Couple disclosures:

1) I really drink very little in the AC and could honestly care less either way if they offer it complimentary or not.

2) I'm not taking a position on the bottled water remarks below, merely trying to point out the difficulty in making everyone happy in today's very, very complicated world.

Regards
+1. Not everyone is going to be pleased all the time (and what is FT without strong opinions!!!), but we should try to look at this new benefit positively in that, in a world where airlines seem to be stripping everything away slowly but surely, AA is actually giving us something back. Completely unexpectedly too! Cheers to that.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Originally Posted by scubadu
So, before all the teetotalers queue the violins to whine about this, take a good long look around an AC like LAX or DFW next time you are there, and you'll like see a number of drunks NOT using amenities such as Wifi.

Regards
Your logic is flawed because your are comparing a commodity vs services.
e.g. AC already have a wifi setup and the cost of maintaining is relatively much lower than replacing those empty liquor/wine/beer bottles.

I never drink rather give away all my drink chits and have no problem if AA wants to go ahead with, but would they also start complimentary bottled non-alcoholic beverages rather than those CO2 heavy sodas they serve from machines
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Yeah baby!
This is great news - I travel a lot around the globe, and never could get used to the 'having to pay for drinks in an airline club' part. If I'm not on an international flight and getting free drink chits, then I'm probably not drinking in the AC, but going to an airport bar where I can get decent food too. I usually only have one (two at the most) drinks, but this is more likely to make me buy Amora food there (with the Amora sliders I would definitely need a drink or two or three before I ordered those).

Thanks AA - welcome news at a time when so many services are being cut back not only in the airline industry but many others too. I love you guys (that's what free alcohol can get you - unconditional love!!!)
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
This move by AA will give UA no choice but to do the same - in case UA thought they could get away with going the UA way instead of CO's in the merger. Smart move by AA in that it is pre-emptive. Better this way than to wait for UA-CO to decide how to handle and then have to react to whatever they decide. Either way, AA would have been forced to make liquor free -- either to keep up with UA-CO or to differentiate themselves from UA-CO (should UA-CO decide to follow the UA model vice the CO one). Now, UA-CO has no option. Smart move AA! Now, about those MD-80s?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Last Sunday, 9/19, I was in the AC club in LAX, and they had free sandwiches (turkey or ham, with cheese and tomato).

That's the QF effect.....those sandwiches magically appear just in time for the T4 QF departures, when the AC serves as a QP (Business Class lounge). No sign of the sandwiches earlier in the day.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Azulcactus
I then end, it's all really speculation since none of us know the true costs. I think you're significantly under estimating the cost of AAngles and rent for various spaces in the AC, but I don't have hard numbers.
Neither do I.

Like I said, I'm a seldom drinker and there's a part of me that says "cool, I can ask them to put a bit of Bailey's Irish Cream in my coffee," but there's also a part of me that says "ok, so what's the catch?" You and I both agree that there's nothing truly free in this world, there's always a catch or recuperation of costs somewhere.

Cost of AAngels and various spaces of the AC right now is a current thing, the annual fee that we pay right now covers all of that. But free booze is a new thing that AA is introducing and my anxiety is that there's bound to be an increase in costs somewhere so that AA can recover their replenishment costs of not-so-cheap consumable items. Whether it be an increase in AC annual dues, a price hike in airfares, or more increased baggage fees, there must be a revenue elsewhere to offset this.

That's where my mixed emotions are from.

Last edited by kebosabi; Sep 21, 2010 at 7:44 pm
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Neither do I.
That's where my mixed emotions are from.
Fair enough. I 100% share your cautious skepticism. Hopefully AA can offset the cost increase with new memberships only!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Great news indeed.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I think the poster's intention was that alcohol, in contrast to other stuff like WiFi or showers, is that alcohol is a consumable item that needs a specific re-order cycle. WiFi and showers are things that can be set up with an one-time "setup fee" and marginal cost maintenance cost per month which can be "subsidized" over lots of people with very little unit cost per person whether they use it or not. Kinda like how we all "subsidize" free air, water, the restroom, the squeegie and the windshield wiping papers at gas stations so to speak.

In contrast, booze is a fairly expensive (compared to carbonated sugar water or juice) consumable item that has to be re-ordered every-now-and-then. There's a big difference in cost to "subsidizing" WiFi and showers that can cost somewhere along $100 per month to maintain, versus booze which could in effect may cost $100 x number of variety of booze per day to replenish.

Yes--extremely well said. It's exactly what I was thinking. ^ Thanks for clarifying so eloquently.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:48 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
That's the QF effect.....those sandwiches magically appear just in time for the T4 QF departures, when the AC serves as a QP (Business Class lounge). No sign of the sandwiches earlier in the day.
I rarely connect through LAX in the evening and have never noticed sandwiches in the day--now I know why--thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This is pretty cool... As an AS BR member, we get access to several AAdmirals clubs, including ones in ORD and I think soon DEN. And I'll be in DEN in November- so anticipating this
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by beckoa
This is pretty cool... As an AS BR member, we get access to several AAdmirals clubs, including ones in ORD and I think soon DEN. And I'll be in DEN in November- so anticipating this
You do? When did this AS BR/AA AC reciprocity happen?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:06 pm

Good news. I think I will drink to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.