Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Thread founder Blumie had the following dedicatory post to kick off the original thread in June of 2010 to guide us, so we will take our cues from that to continue this hallowed FT-AA|A tradition. (FT Rules still apply.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
What's FT if not a place to complain about the small stuff? After all, we've seen threads in which people have complained about virtually everything, from the ceiling height at JAX to the font, ink and paper used to print boarding passes. So I thought I'd start what I hope will become the one of the most valuable and important threads in the history of FT, one in which we consolidate all of our complaints about stuff that just doesn't matter and that validates AA's decision not to have an official presence on this board.

I'll go first: I find it really annoying the way the napkins are fanned before being put out at the Admirals Clubs. Is this supposed to make us feel like the place is uber-fancy? Why don't they just forget about the fanning and put out some real napkins instead of the flimsy cocktail napkins they use?
Older posts have been archived, and may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
The weirdo flight attendant serving PDBs and in-air meals wearing latex gloves - the kind your proctologist will don before a procedure. Yes, I know this because I am almost 50 and have to go for all the "world is ending" tests.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
PDIP

Originally Posted by thedeeg
On the subject of ice (and this applies to the entire United States), far too much ice served with soft drinks / water.

I’ve said this on here before, but a thimble of water / Diet Coke served over a mountain of ice is not the refreshing beverage i’d hoped for. Then just being left with a cup of ice. Or, the absolute worst, it being there for people to chew.

There seeming to be no rhyme or reason as to whether it’s a cookies or pretzel flight. Or at least that I can identify.
Speaking of ice, I get unsettled with the pre departure ice pounding. There has to be a better way.
MorganB and yabadoo like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
The latest official Aviator Red inflight pitch script seems to contain the line “it takes less miles to book that next trip” or something similar (has someone who’s flown recently remembered the exact line?)

This is ungrammatical. The correct phrasing would be “fewer miles.”
Gullywhumper likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I remember at some point in the not-too-distant past, someone complained when AA took their logo off the paper napkins and only had Coca-Cola ones. Yesterday, they gave me this:

But now I want to amend the complaint that the napkin is printed off-center.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
The elastic band on the eyeshades they have in the amenity bag in J is narrow and leaves an indentation around my forehead after I sleep using them.
JBauer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yabadoo
The elastic band on the eyeshades they have in the amenity bag in J is narrow and leaves an indentation around my forehead after I sleep using them.
The wide elastic band is reserved for Flagship First..
jhalapin and AA100k like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
The wide elastic band is reserved for Flagship First..
Those lucky people in Flagship First! They don't have to deal with the indignities of getting off a plane with a line seemingly carved around your head like a pudding bowl rim. Sigh, one day we will have broad elastic eyeshades....
mvoight likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry AA fliers, you are no good at complaining. Here is the winner from a thread on the AS board:

My Issue With Pilot's Arrival Updates and Estimated Time to Gate

As far as I can tell, there is a (serious!) complaint here is that the pilot announced that they were landing early.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As far as I can tell, there is a (serious!) complaint here is that the pilot announced that they were landing early.
Actually with AA that is a legitimate gripe...because about 99% of the time it is followed with "Well folks, we got here and our gate is taken", followed by 30 or more minutes on the tarmac. Don't get my hopes up like that!!!
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Those C shaped boarding pass scanners where I can't use my Apple Watch boarding pass. What am I supposed to do? Use paper like an animal or pull out my phone? Sheesh!
United747 and Gullywhumper like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Actually with AA that is a legitimate gripe...because about 99% of the time it is followed with "Well folks, we got here and our gate is taken", followed by 30 or more minutes on the tarmac. Don't get my hopes up like that!!!
So true. So very true. I have yet to arrive early, and actually deplane early. It's always, "They weren't expecting us so early, so out gate is taken", "Well folks, unfortunately there is no ground crew at the gate, because we are so early", or "Ladies and gentlemen, we made it to the gate, early, as promised, but unfortunately there is no one to operate the jetbridge. We hope to have someone here soon. Should just be a few min." (Turns out to be 20 min)

I literally think that every time I have landed early, I have actually deplaned "LATER" than I would have, if I would have just had a simple on-time arrival.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
This may (or may not) be too substantive for this thread, but doesn't warrant a new one. I flew DFW-BOI last night. They recently switched this route to the ERJ-175. I didn't mind, because I think the seats are actually more comfortable in Y. I was in F for this flight, but that is irrelevant to my issue.

This is a solid 3 hour flight, and basically is 4 hours butt-in-seat, when accounting for boarding and taxiing. Of course no IFE or power ports on the 175, so I was sure to charge up my devices before the flight so I could utilize WiFi for some work, and stream entertainment to my personal device. I went to connect to the WiFI while still at the gate, hoping to get a movie started. Didn't see the AA network, no big deal, thought maybe it just won't pop up until 10k feet. Ding goes off at 10k, FA starts doing her duties, I look for WiFI, still don't see it. I figure I'll wait until FA makes eye-contact and I will ask her if she can make sure it's turned on. Before I can do that, I see her look around the galley, with a perplexed look on her face. She then gets on the intercom and announces that there is no WiFi on this flight!! WTH!

I asked her what the issue was, and she mentioned to me that this was a brand new a/c and that they rushed them out to get them started on these new routes, and hadn't installed the WiFI yet. Obviously I was not pleased. This isn't a DFW-Lubbock, 1 hour flight. This is a 1300 mile, 4 hours on the plane, 3 hours in the air, flight. Needless to say, it was a long flight of just staring out the window, into the dark abyss. After wasting 7 minutes reading the AA in-flight magazine.

Going to be pissed if my return flight on Friday has the same issue. At least I know to download some stuff off Netflix or something, JIC.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by genotonda
This may (or may not) be too substantive for this thread, but doesn't warrant a new one..
Unfortunately, i do think that is a substantive complain and doesn't belong here. I would ask for a few miles if you care about that kind of thing. This happened to me on a few JFK<->LAX transcons, which threw off my schedule a bit
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by genotonda
Going to be pissed if my return flight on Friday has the same issue. At least I know to download some stuff off Netflix or something, JIC.
I've always got at least 15 hours worth of programming and a few books downloaded at any time, even when not planning to travel. You never know when the internet is going to go down.
JBauer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I hate the forced drop-down boxes on the screen where you have to enter your passenger information on the reservation. Why can't they just let us start typing? I have to click on each field and scroll way down. My country of residence is Colombia, so when I type "C" the list only jumps down to the second line, "Canada." My passport expires late in December, so I have to scroll to the bottom of the month and day for that. Every time I have to do that it just ruins the rest of my day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.